WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default MYOG Signal Mirror (Well sorta)

Not exactly sure this counts as MYOG, but since it took some screwdrivers I'll count it as such!

Dont want to argue whether one should carry a mirror. I choose to do so because I like having one for signaling, tick checks, and the occasional personal grooming. I have carried an Adventure Medical signal mirror for a while but I find they scratch easy and do not have a great reflection.

I found a much better option - a platter from a bad hard drive. I pulled two out of a laptop drive recently. They are very reflective and VERY lightweight. This one weighs in at only 4 grams. If you have any bad hard drives laying around, open it up and give it a try.

mirror.jpg

I too have two plastic mirrors in my pack for tic removal,you can hook one to a tree,and the other held behind your head for hard to get at spots.I rarley see these listed in a med kit list,but have always carried them after getting a tic on the back of my head,and making a mess of that situation,took forever for it to heal,alot longer than it should have had I had some mirrors to help remove it.

Use a blank CD.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Blank CDs will break, scratch much easier, and weigh over 3x as much (15g vs 4g). This is also much more reflective.

I like is idea. Gonna also add one to my kayak gear bag.

Journal Entries

What kind of hd was it? Laptop/ desktop? Hd also have previous metals in them such as Ruthenim which I believe is in the platinum group. Some are glass.

The bad part of this thread is it reminds me of how many useless hard drives I have sitting around.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Been years since I took a computer apart,just wanted to see what and how it ticked,got a lap top that has needed surgery,so tomarrow...Mr.Hyde,with a hammer from staples.hehehe.

Journal Entries
    Images

oh wow this reminds me of how damn geeky I was in HS.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

cool idea!
    at first i thought you were going to show us how to make a signal mirror-
    step one -start with a mirror.
    step two- there is no step two.

Quote Originally Posted by chip2012 View Post
    What kind of hd was it? Laptop/ desktop? Hd also have previous metals in them such as Ruthenim which I believe is in the platinum group. Some are glass.
    I have some from both a laptop and desktop. The desktop drives are quite a bit bigger. You are right about the glass, got to be careful with them as they probably wouldnt be good to have break on you!

I can tell the difference by gently banging them against a hard object. The metal ones have an obvious metallic sound. (Duh!)

Images

Instead of a mirror for tick checking the solo hiker, use a camera to take pictures of the areas you cannot see. If you find something suspicious then get help to check it out. Works on busy trails like the AT.

used glass from a welding helmet can't be beat, and is unbreakable.

++ New Posts ++