WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I believe the theory that some people are less attractive to ticks. I've lived near Rockfish Gap since the turn-of-the-century and spend a lot of time outdoors here, and haven't found a single tick this year. However, local mosquitoes in the area think I am one of the tastiest things that they have ever slurped.

I was hiking on trails about 40 miles up into SNP, not long ago, and we went through a lot of tall grass. 5 of the 7 hikers had to pick several ticks off of them, but two of us didn't find any (I know I did a very careful search). I am not confident enough to say that I am immune to ticks, but I do think that I am unattractive to them, most of the time... and I drink a lot of water.

When I get home, the clothes go into the washing machine immediately, and I go into the shower. Lyme disease is not something that you want to experience. I've heard the stories.

Greg

Images

Different people DO attract insects etc at different levels BUT it isn't necessarily "uniform across all bugs.
    If my wife is around it takes a real swarm of mosquitoes for any to come near me. Conversely I attract ticks big time. The original tick magnet.
    Bites are different too. Even a short bite from a tick leaves me with a recurring itch and sore for 3 months or more. I have been stung multiple times by wasps (hurts like hell) but have no itch or pain within 1/2 hour. Mosquitoes don't generally give me more than a short period of irritation either. Bull ants (a local nicety) make me sore for days.

Is it possible for some that the lack of ticks was due to another hiker going through the area before them? We had that happen to us with a few groups ahead of us in July.

Quote Originally Posted by turtle fast View Post
    Is it possible for some that the lack of ticks was due to another hiker going through the area before them? We had that happen to us with a few groups ahead of us in July.
    Yeah, could be. Whoever gets out early contends with breaking through the spider webs and picks up the ticks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++