WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Default Latest Altercation with "Joe to Go"

A few weeks ago, a thread discussed "the worst places on the AT" and quite a discussion ensued about Joe who owns JOE TO GO in NJ. Basically, a WB member who did not see the sign advertising "Water for Sale," politely asked Joe if he could fill up his water bottle. He was cussed out and sent on his way.

One of my favorite journals is by Balls and Sunshine and apparently, a few days ago, they had a run-in with Joe themselves. They bought food there and Sunshine, a little girl who just turned 12, politely asked if she could use the restroom. Joe told her that no restroom was available. Balls respectfully asked if it wasn't a health code requirement that all restaurants have public restrooms and Joe threw them out!!!

When Balls mentioned this to other local hikers, they relayed that the police absolutely hate this guy because "there is an altercation with a customer at least once a week" with this guy. This kind of makes you wonder if the hiking community shouldn't be warned about this kind of behavior? This is just my opinion, but to treat customers who patronize your establishment like this, just doesn't seem right and I think the A.T. Guide books should indicate this.
    Last edited by WIAPilot; 06-15-2012 at 19:52.

I couldnt agree more. IMO, being advertised in the A.T. Data Books should be a privelage and to not offer adequete service to a hiker(s) should not earn that privelage. On the other hand, I am sure many here will tell you how great of a guy he is.

Images

I remember this guy. I couldn't tell if he was just a jerk or had some kind of mental problem. There's a golden opportunity if somebody wanted to open a coffee shop right next door.

"uh oh......joe explode" what a D---
    Last edited by rocketsocks; 06-14-2012 at 14:40.

Turning a young girl away who asks to use the rest room,is just unconscionable,and for good reason.He no longer gets the benefit of my doubt,and I don't feel the need to see for myself,Damn shame,he's gotta have a loose screw,maybe even two.However,I maintain that placing him in a book,is not a good idea,and may be grounds for some stupid law suit,why allow him to show that his business failed because of being placed in a guide book,stranger things have happened.word of mouth should do it.Why put him in a book at all,seems excommunication of the trail people is what he wants,so why not just give him that,No Business.just my two cents and in my humble opinion.
    Last edited by rocketsocks; 06-14-2012 at 14:39.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Turning a young girl away who asks to use the rest room,is just unconscionable,and for good reason.He no longer gets the benefit of my doubt,and I don't feel the need to see for myself,Damn shame,he's gotta have a loose screw,maybe even two.However,I maintain that placing him in a book,is not a good idea,and may be grounds for some stupid law suit,why allow him to show that his business failed because of being placed in a guide book,stranger things have happened.word of mouth should do it.Why put him in a book at all,seems excommunication of the trail people is what he wants,so why not just give him that,No Business.just my two cents and in my humble opinion.
    I agree and I totally believe as stated above that being in the AT Data book is a privilege and is essentially free advertising for the businesses.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by WIAPilot View Post
    I agree and I totally believe as stated above that being in the AT Data book is a privilege and is essentially free advertising for the businesses.
    I believe Joes to Go is no longer in ALDHA's Companion.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Flash mob Dial?

Joe-To-Go - (973) 948-2522

15 Us Highway 206 S, Sandyston, NJ 07826

YELP
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/joe-to-go-sandyston

Yahoo

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguid...873R-joetogo-i

Says Larry E Price is the owner.
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 06-14-2012 at 18:49.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Joe's got a new problem which might be far worse than his failing attitude - because Kathy is on the case!

Go Kathy!

Journal Entries
    Images

WIA pilot - one has to ask if "water is for sale" I would be inclined to think that's - bottled water - not spigot. And yes a gas station is required to have a public toilet, as a deli... most likely wasn't clean.
    JOEtoGo.JPGThis little place?

How about 50 yards past this place to Gyps Tavern?
    Gyp's Tavernmore info
    25 US Highway 206 S
    Sandyston, NJ 07826

(973) 948-5013

A Google User reviewed 11 months agoOverall 3 / 3
    Hung out here one morning while taking a break off the Appalachian Trail. This place is low key and totally great for just chilling. We sat out back and had a beautiful view of the lake and had ice cold beers seconds after ordering. Didn't have the food but will be dropping by again when in the area to hang out some more!
    Liked: Service, Atmosphere, Value

A Google User reviewed a year agoOverall 3 / 3
    Liked: Food, Service, Atmosphere, Value, Jerky, Yuengling, and totally low key. Great selection on the jukebox!
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 06-14-2012 at 19:11. Reason: more input
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

If you really want to hurt some business that wrongs you, the best place to do it is online these days. Yelp is a great tool to use in order to smite a business. Once the stars drop below 3 stars, less people will frequent the place.

Does it cost money to advertise in the companion?

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    WIA pilot - one has to ask if "water is for sale" I would be inclined to think that's - bottled water - not spigot. And yes a gas station is required to have a public toilet, as a deli... most likely wasn't clean.
    I believe the "bottled water" was in milk jugs?? Maybe someone can clarify this?? The point is that the hiker honestly didn't see that water was for sale and certainly did not deserve this type of response from "Joe." Guess his real name is Larry Price. Other hikers have stated that he does not allow customers to use the restrooms as well so it was not a matter of the restroom not being clean. And perhaps some AT hikers might have trashed the restrooms in trying to clean up and perhaps been less than good about cleaning up after themselves. I don't know if this occurred, but can imagine this scenario. However, I do think that this is all a part of owning a restaurant or deli business.

This guy's attitude with people is pretty classic of getting calls from creditors and suppliers. He is so wound up from trying to make his business run that he ends up killing it with a bad demeanor. He most likely won't be open much longer. IMHO
    "You have brains in your head/You have feet in your shoes/You can steer yourself in any direction you choose." - Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by verasch View Post
    If you really want to hurt some business that wrongs you, the best place to do it is online these days. Yelp is a great tool to use in order to smite a business. Once the stars drop below 3 stars, less people will frequent the place.

Does it cost money to advertise in the companion?
    Advertising,now thats a whole nother animal,nothing wrong with advertising......

Quote Originally Posted by 4Bears View Post
    This guy's attitude with people is pretty classic of getting calls from creditors and suppliers. He is so wound up from trying to make his business run that he ends up killing it with a bad demeanor. He most likely won't be open much longer. IMHO
    This guy has been like this for years. Also, I'm almost positive that the companion and AT Data book do not receive any advertising fees for including businesses in their books,

So you people would destroy a persons business and way to earn a living with the use of your "power" on and with the internet just because they don't let you take a sink bath and crap in the store or serve coffee you don't like or otherwise seem hostile to hikers?

The AT Data Book does not list any places of business.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TD55 View Post
    So you people would destroy a persons business and way to earn a living with the use of your "power" on and with the internet just because they don't let you take a sink bath and crap in the store or serve coffee you don't like or otherwise seem hostile to hikers?
    Honest - most of the time I take the time to drive out and check it out and hike the trail. Most of the time it doesn't ring or pan out true... but a coffee shop with a bad attitude? who cares.

This is America - The press can make you a hero one day and tear you down the next... you see it all the time.

Woo

Yep,that'd have to be some real exceptionally great coffee for me to put up with his crap,and still I might spill it on the way out the door.

Quote Originally Posted by TD55 View Post
    Is that what the original post said? That it's all about a bad cup of coffee and not being allowed to take a sink bath and a crap? That's what you got from the first post?

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++