WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Shovel - keep it or ditch it?

I'm an ultra lighter trying to shed some more weight. Shovel weights 1.2 ounces, should I keep it in my pack or get rid of it?Do you carry a shovel?

Images

not unless im planning on burying somebody.
    dont need one.

It's handy, but not necessary as long as you still take the time and energy to properly dig a deep enough hole and bury your poop. It's harder using only sticks and your boots, but it still needs to be done, and isn't really all that much harder. I've stopped bringing my shovel, and make sure to take the time to dig a proper hole.

Pro tip: in a, um... "emergency rush situation"... ehem... you can always dig the hole afterwards and relocate your poop into it.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Later on it may prove its worth at the all you can eat buffets.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

I'm assuming this shovel is for digging a cathole to do your business. After having stepped on a big turd, and seeing many others in various areas I wish more people would carry a shovel cause apparently the sticks/boot method ain't working for some.

At any rate, I bought a titanium Big Dig from QiWiz (I think that's his username on WB...and I think he still sells them), and at 0.6 oz there's no reason not to carry a small shovel.

Images

I have a tarptent and carry one large (light) plastic tent peg as well. I figure it can be a sand peg for one end of the TT and works pretty well at scratching a hole too.

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
    I'm assuming this shovel is for digging a cathole to do your business. After having stepped on a big turd, and seeing many others in various areas I wish more people would carry a shovel cause apparently the sticks/boot method ain't working for some.

At any rate, I bought a titanium Big Dig from QiWiz (I think that's his username on WB...and I think he still sells them), and at 0.6 oz there's no reason not to carry a small shovel.
    +1 Yup, still makin' em . . .
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

I carry an MSR Blizzard tent stake. It digs well plus doubles as an extra stake for snow or soft soil. The weight is .7 oz.
    The mountains are calling and I must go.
    - John Muir

http://postholer.com/revlee

Plenty of other multipurpose things for digging catholes (sticks, spork, tent stake, trekking poles, etc). No need of for a shovel.

+1 on the tent snow stake.

Images

I carry a snow stake (tent stake) that can dig a cathole through roots and rocks, and doubles as a spare tent stake.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Ditch it. That's a car camping item.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I've never brought or needed a trowel in my 2000+ miles of east coast backpacking over 40 years. A rock, a stick, a tent stake have all served my infrequent needs.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

My reply when this was asked in February:

Have had the same orange one for at least 20 years. It seldom stays home. I'm a bit of an explorer and use it to dig up rocks, or roots or plants or critters.
    Or sometimes use it to destroy and spread those nasty fire rings that others leave in prime tent spots.
    Get a lot more use out of it it than the swiss army knives and leatherman tools I have given away.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

I should add, since you are an "utlralighter" of course you shouldn't carry one. Or any thing else that might add a gram to your life.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    I should add, since you are an "utlralighter" of course you shouldn't carry one. Or any thing else that might add a gram to your life.
    I think that many UL'ers get more enjoyment out of getting seeing how low they can get there pack weight down to than they do the actual hike.

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    I think that many UL'ers get more enjoyment out of getting seeing how low they can get there pack weight down to than they do the actual hike.
    I'm not gonna open that can of worms. At least not without my shovel.

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

In the words of Bill Bryson:

"The orange spade in particular seemed to shout: “Greenhorn! Sissy! Make way for Mr. Buttercup!”"

I don't bring one mostly because Bill Bryson--Bill Bryson!--would call me a buttercup if I did. I use a tent stake or twigs for digging. An ultralighter really shouldn't be asking this question.
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

Sure why not,get rid of the shovel,and use your chop sticks "in Lou of",and why your all about saving weight,get rid of the TP too,use leaves "in Lou of".

The majority of the AT is on ridgelines that contain lots of rocks surrounded by a little bit of soil. 95% of the time, excavating a hole is mostly pulling up rocks. As long as you dont use Iodine for water treatment (which give more than a few folks "the trots") ditch the shovel. If you decide you need one you find many discarded ones in hikers boxes (disgusting as that seems).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++