WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

I wonder if any of these Hostels could apply for a Grant? Surely something is available out there. Hmmmmmmm . . . . .
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Quote Originally Posted by Heald View Post
    The fire house in Waynesboro closed because a hiker had turned a bunch of the knobs on one of the fire trucks. At least that's what the Chief told me back in 96'.
    Yeah, that could be a problem on a pump panel. Turn or pull or flip the wrong thing and you could cause problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Heald View Post
    The church in Manchester Center gave the hikers "3 strikes and you're out". The first strike was the kitchen. It was an ongoing problem keeping it clean, but on one occasion it was left a complete disaster. Strike two was when a church Parishioner walked in on a couple hikers having sex. Strike three came when someone defecated on the floor. As it turns out it wasn't a hiker who did this but a vagrant. The Parishioners were aware that it was a vagrant, but for whatever reason decided to close down the hostel to hikers all the same. At least that is what a church Parishioner told me.
    The story I heard was that the mystery turd came from a dog (which wasn't supposed to be in there in the first place.) Who knows?

I figured that Manchester Center was going to be history when I came out of the shower and saw the preacher pushing a broom in our sleeping area -- while about a dozen hikers watched him work.

After reading the Tips and Donation thread I now know why so many hostels have closed.

Journal Entries
    Images

Drinking and disrespect. Money and time.

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

When you open a hostel, you invite everyone on the Trail to visit. Some take advantage, many do not. But enough bad experiences with those who ruin it for others will take its toll on the owners after awhile. Inevitably, some choose to close due to ongoing bad behaviors.

Those who hang in there for a decade or more are like Saints in my opinion. One of the best examples I can think of is Bob Peoples at Kincora, Dennis Cove Rd., TN. There are others.

Until last year, when I developed health issues and also began spending more and more time in Delaware away from the Trail, I had a different model for helping hikers who decided to come into Luray VA, just west of Thornton Gap in SNP. It wasn't a full-scale hostel, but it had all the conveniences of one. It just wasn't advertised as such anywhere, and the physical location wasn't conducive to just "dropping in."

My home there has hosted many, many hikers since 1995. But it was all by invitation. How did a hiker get an invite? By being in town and running into me or one of several local friends who would call me about certain folks I might like to host, or during an encounter up on the AT when I was out hiking myself. At first hikers slept on a large front porch with gorgeous views of the Blue Ridge, and eventually there was an AT-style shelter on the property, tent sites, and many other amenities including an easy-access hiker shower/bathroom and laundry.

I'm a pretty decent judge of character, and in all those years only had a problem with one guy who ran up my long-distance phone bill in days before cell phones were so common. By being invitation-only, I could maintain control over both the quality and quantity of hikers who visited on any given day. I could also take a day or more off when desired (like when I wanted to go hiking my own self!). Not so easy to burn out under this scenario.

This worked out well for the hikers who stayed, and for me since I enjoyed their company. In later years, clients of the now-closed shuttle service I was associated with were also able to stay a night before or after their hikes if they wanted to.

The downside, of course, is that hikers did not generally have advance knowledge of this availability and so could not plan ahead of time to stay there. Kind of the way it was for early hikers like Earl and Gene and Grandma Gatewood when they did the Trail. (And the problem is.....?)

The idea for the on-site shelter and invitation-only came from Ishmael, near Boiling Springs PA. Though I did not stay there when I hiked that section, I was invited (but chose to hike on to keep a section-hike schedule). But I thought the concept was brilliant, and eventually emulated it.

Hikers and trail angels who are thinking about opening a hostel, but are hesitant because of some of the horror stories recounted here and elsewhere, might do well to consider this scenario. Sure, you won't be the toast of the Trail and you probably won't have a detailed listing in any guidebook for what you're offering--but you'll have a great chance to help a lot of hikers when you can, and you'll enjoy the experience a lot more yourself. If you need the $$, you can strongly suggest a donation level in advance (I didn't need it so I never suggested, but others might need to).

IMHO enough scenarios like this, instead of the traditional hostel model, might also cut down on the hiker entitlement syndrome and destructive behavior being discussed here. Those hikers who have caused problems elsewhere seem to get talked about up the trail, through the grapevine or on the service providers' e-mail list. When they can't just show up on your doorstep unannounced and uninvited, they are easier to avoid. Just knowing that their reputations might precede them and might mean they don't get an invite to a bunch of places, it might prompt, in some cases, better behavior from the start.
    Last edited by Skyline; 08-17-2012 at 12:25.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
    When you open a hostel, you invite everyone on the Trail to visit. Some take advantage, many do not. But enough bad experiences with those who ruin it for others will take its toll on the owners after awhile. Inevitably, some choose to close due to ongoing bad behaviors.

Those who hang in there for a decade or more are like Saints in my opinion. One of the best examples I can think of is Bob Peoples at Kincora, Dennis Cove Rd., TN. There are others.

Until last year, when I developed health issues and also began spending more and more time in Delaware away from the Trail, I had a different model for helping hikers who decided to come into Luray VA, just west of Thornton Gap in SNP. It wasn't a full-scale hostel, but it had all the conveniences of one. It just wasn't advertised as such anywhere, and the physical location wasn't conducive to just "dropping in."

My home there has hosted many, many hikers since 1995. But it was all by invitation. How did a hiker get an invite? By being in town and running into me or one of several local friends who would call me about certain folks I might like to host, or during an encounter up on the AT when I was out hiking myself. At first hikers slept on a large front porch with gorgeous views of the Blue Ridge, and eventually there was an AT-style shelter on the property, tent sites, and many other amenities including an easy-access hiker shower/bathroom and laundry.

I'm a pretty decent judge of character, and in all those years only had a problem with one guy who ran up my long-distance phone bill in days before cell phones were so common. By being invitation-only, I could maintain control over both the quality and quantity of hikers who visited on any given day. I could also take a day or more off when desired (like when I wanted to go hiking my own self!). Not so easy to burn out under this scenario.

This worked out well for the hikers who stayed, and for me since I enjoyed their company. In later years, clients of the now-closed shuttle service I was associated with were also able to stay a night before or after their hikes if they wanted to.

The downside, of course, is that hikers did not generally have advance knowledge of this availability and so could not plan ahead of time to stay there. Kind of the way it was for early hikers like Earl and Gene and Grandma Gatewood when they did the Trail. (And the problem is.....?)

The idea for the on-site shelter and invitation-only came from Ishmael, near Boiling Springs PA. Though I did not stay there when I hiked that section, I was invited (but chose to hike on to keep a section-hike schedule). But I thought the concept was brilliant, and eventually emulated it.

Hikers and trail angels who are thinking about opening a hostel, but are hesitant because of some of the horror stories recounted here and elsewhere, might do well to consider this scenario. Sure, you won't be the toast of the Trail and you probably won't have a detailed listing in any guidebook for what you're offering--but you'll have a great chance to help a lot of hikers when you can, and you'll enjoy the experience a lot more yourself. If you need the $$, you can strongly suggest a donation level in advance (I didn't need it so I never suggested, but others might need to).

IMHO enough scenarios like this, instead of the traditional hostel model, might also cut down on the hiker entitlement syndrome and destructive behavior being discussed here.

That's a great idea and sounds like it's working well. I have done this, myself, on even a smaller scale than what it sounds like you are doing. I have people on the trail that know me and will put ME in contact with hikers coming through the area. I have already become part of a woman's hiking page on FB so I'm their personal TA for their upcoming hike in 2013. Can't wait to meet them!!! I do everything without charge just b/c I love to meet new people .... hikers in particular. When my daughter was hiking, I was amazed by the love & kindness that people showed her, while on the trail. That was the beginning for my passion in reaching out to the hiking community. What an interesting post! Thanks for sharing with us. If you want my contact info, for any reason, PM me. I'm in the Daleville VA area. Thanks again for posting!!

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMomKD View Post
    That's a great idea and sounds like it's working well. I have done this, myself, on even a smaller scale than what it sounds like you are doing. I have people on the trail that know me and will put ME in contact with hikers coming through the area. I have already become part of a woman's hiking page on FB so I'm their personal TA for their upcoming hike in 2013. Can't wait to meet them!!! I do everything without charge just b/c I love to meet new people .... hikers in particular. When my daughter was hiking, I was amazed by the love & kindness that people showed her, while on the trail. That was the beginning for my passion in reaching out to the hiking community. What an interesting post! Thanks for sharing with us. If you want my contact info, for any reason, PM me. I'm in the Daleville VA area. Thanks again for posting!!
    Actually, I'm not doing this at the present time. The Virginia home is on the market (www.ShenandoahDreamHome.com), and I'm living between Virginia and Delaware--more in the latter. I miss the mountains and most of all the AT, but I'm getting better health care elsewhere and right now that's a priority.

My reason for posting today was to present what I think is a valid middle ground between running a full scale hostel and doing nothing because of fear of some of the behaviors noted in this thread. Worked for lots of hikers, and I enjoyed it too.

I understand.

I hope everything works out for you in the sale of your home but more importantly your health.

That's why I liked your post so much because it did present a valid middle ground. I would be interested in doing something like this myself. I live 5 miles from the trail crossing in Daleville, VA.

I'll have to take a look at the listing of your home in VA. I'll keep this home, in mind, to share with someone that might be interested in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
    Thanks for this, Skyline. I stayed at a similar situation with Sharon and Tom Johnson at their hiker loft near Front Royal. Sharon has shuttled me the last two years as I've sectioned hiked northern Virginia and I stayed overnight on my way to/from the trail. Wonderful experience.

Aqua's health was the main reason Happy Hiker Hollow in Atkins closed,but also we blew up a van with shuttles,worked 17 hrs a day,and had unbelievable wear and tear on the house,and no profit! 90% of our guests were Fantastic,unfortunetly the 10% were Really bad.But we still miss it every day. We are hoping to reopen when Aqua's health improves but with more limited service.Without hikers my electric bill is $40-with $230.

Quote Originally Posted by rambunny View Post
    Aqua's health was the main reason Happy Hiker Hollow in Atkins closed,but also we blew up a van with shuttles,worked 17 hrs a day,and had unbelievable wear and tear on the house,and no profit! 90% of our guests were Fantastic,unfortunetly the 10% were Really bad.But we still miss it every day. We are hoping to reopen when Aqua's health improves but with more limited service.Without hikers my electric bill is $40-with $230.
    Your hostel operated on donations, right? Would you say that most hikers gave a donation? Did you also provide meals? I am not surprised that there was no profit in it. When you consider the hours, the wear and tear on your home and no money, every single AT hiker out there should realize what a gift they have been given. And still we have hikers who start quibbling over "donations." What was the difference in your water bill, if you don't mind telling us?

CF97 > Everything Else.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Indeed change is constant. I can think of a half dozen closures in the past few years but even more openings. There are certainly more hostels along the trail than ever.

Closings

Miss Janets House
    The Bird Cage in Dalton - Rob has said this is his last season.
    He's moving near Elizabeth, TN and will be attempting to open Bird Cage South!
    "... I know it is wrong, but I am for the spirit that makes young men do the things they do. I am for the glory that they know." --Sigurd Olson, Singing Wilderness.

AT '12, LT '13, CT '14, PCT '15

Images

Rob has made it clear he is moving south...what a treat for hikers next year in TN.

Not sure how Tom Levardi will handle more hiker guests in Dalton next season with Rob's departure. That town was blessed to have two angels serving hikers.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Journal Entries
    Images

I am seriously thinking of opening a hostel right next door to my house. I use to let people stay at my house for a donation and would get stiffed over and over, but on the other hand I had a few generous folks come along too. Those who would stiff me would eat my food, drink my coffee, steal my medicine, tell me they did not have to give me any money, and so forth.

However I have decided that this time I will not put up with that, and I am only going to target the over 35 crowd. Even though I may run it on a donation thing you will drop the donation in the box from the start or you can just hike along. On the other hand if I get a license to do it there are not that many rules affixed to doing it as a hostel other than the fact that I have to place fire extinguishers in certain areas and get insured. And there will be no alcohol on premises but you may go and have a drink.

I think targeting the older crowd is less troublesome.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rambunny View Post
    I'll never forget hanging out with you at TD's '01.......

Quote Originally Posted by TOW View Post
    I am seriously thinking of opening a hostel right next door to my house. I use to let people stay at my house for a donation and would get stiffed over and over, but on the other hand I had a few generous folks come along too. Those who would stiff me would eat my food, drink my coffee, steal my medicine, tell me they did not have to give me any money, and so forth.

However I have decided that this time I will not put up with that, and I am only going to target the over 35 crowd. Even though I may run it on a donation thing you will drop the donation in the box from the start or you can just hike along. On the other hand if I get a license to do it there are not that many rules affixed to doing it as a hostel other than the fact that I have to place fire extinguishers in certain areas and get insured. And there will be no alcohol on premises but you may go and have a drink.

I think you're right in targeting the older crowd, but don't give up. There's still hope for the american youth. You can probably write off generation x and y, but it looks like generation z (as in Zoe) has potential. Hope to meet you next year.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJmCK...feature=relmfu
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Smnrm...eature=related
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

It's a good idea to set your rules and expectations up front so that people who can't/won't abide by them will choose to stay somewhere else. I do wonder if it would result in even more problems for The Place, since by you would be in effect taking the more responsible & ethical hikers out of the mix and increasing the proportion of immature, irresponsible hikers who wind up at the Place.

I think opening up a hostel would be great! I'd stay! You would definitely need to get insured and collect upfront, which would probably make it more expensive than The Place, but even if you charge $10-$30, that is cheaper than many of the B&Bs. Damascus is a very popular place on the AT, especially during trail days. I think you are right in targeting a select crowd.

Over the years many hostels have close but even more have open. Many have closed as previously said due to drugs, lack of respect for the rules to name a few. There is no excuse for the lack of respect that a few bad apples have displayed for the trail but there are also way to many hostels and it shows.

During my thru-hikes, I stayed in a hostel every couple of weeks but now hikers can almost stay inside every day. The more someone stays outside helps them develope their wilderness skills. They become more intune with nature. You can see the different between past and present hikers.

Wolf

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++