Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default PCT method bear bag - does it work?

I usually go for the counterbalance method, but I have recently seen a few videos on the PCT method.

Do a lot of folks actually use this for their bear bags? I noticed on some of the videos that the excess cord is left hanging. Can't a bear just pull on this cord?

Do you have to use a carabiner for the PCT method to work?

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers.

Images

I use it all the time. Yes you need some type of clip.

If the bear gets a hold the extra cord and pulls, the bag goes up. Although I have never witnessed a bear doing it, I cant imagine they have the manual dextarity to pull on such a thin line enough to accomplish anything. If the extra line breaks, the bag does not fall to the ground, and no matter how hard they pull they can't get the bag to flip over the branch. I have seen that happen with a conventional hang.

You do need to keep the extra line off the ground however, to keep the little critters from climbing up.

You may hear people talking about how hard it is to tie a clove hitch and having to pull the rope through the knot That is because they don't know how to tie a clove hitch on a short stick. All it takes is two twists of the wrist and you are done.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

totally agree with bfayer. It's the best way to hang in my opinion. Check out some of the Youtube clips to see the easy way to tie the clove hitch. I use an OR waterproof bag for food and it is very thin. The nylon will melt if you pull it up the line and the cord rubs it on the way up. I take a small piece of cord about a foot long and tie it to the bag. I clip a small walmart caribiner to the end of the cord. Throw the 50' cord up and over the limb and attach it to the bag. Clip the pulling end of the cord thru the carribiner. When you pull the bag up, stand off to the side a little bit, and the caribiner on the short cord will let the long line get pulled without riding up the bag and putting a hole in it. Pull the bag all the way to the limb, and tie your clove hitch around the 5" piece of half inch dowel rod that you carry for that purpose. Lower the bag back down, and the dowel will run up and lodge sideways against the caribener and your hang will be done. You can always use a stick that you find instead of a dowel, but it's just so easy not to have to walk around looking for "that" stick. I carry all this kit in a little nylon bag. I use the little nylon bag to drop a rock in, and throw over the limb. That way you are not trying to tie a cord around a rock, and slinging rocks all through the woods. This is a simple process, but it is easier to see than try to put into words, so I hope all this makes sense.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bfayer View Post
    Can't a bear just pull on this cord?

If the bear gets a hold the extra cord and pulls, the bag goes up. Although I have never witnessed a bear doing it, I cant imagine they have the manual dextarity to pull on such a thin line ...
    Bears don't have opposable thumbs...
    I gotta get my head out of the clouds, but that is where my heart is.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jburgasser View Post
    Bears don't have opposable thumbs...
    I agree, but then there is Yellow Yellow in th Adirondacks. Who would a thunk.

I use it all the time. Yes you need some type of clip.

If the bear gets a hold the extra cord and pulls, the bag goes up. Although I have never witnessed a bear doing it, I cant imagine they have the manual dextarity to pull on such a thin line enough to accomplish anything. If the extra line breaks, the bag does not fall to the ground, and no matter how hard they pull they can't get the bag to flip over the branch. I have seen that happen with a conventional hang.
    Thanks for the tips.

I usually use the counterbalance method. None of the videos I've watched explain how to retrieve the bear bag once it's hung. If the bear can't get it down, how am I supposed to? (I'm sure it's easily done, but doesn't make sense to me intuitively.)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Marcovee View Post
    Thanks for the tips.

I usually use the counterbalance method. None of the videos I've watched explain how to retrieve the bear bag once it's hung. If the bear can't get it down, how am I supposed to? (I'm sure it's easily done, but doesn't make sense to me intuitively.)
    Pull on the line until you can reach the stick (bag will go up) . Untie the clove hitch and lower the bag.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Marcovee View Post
    Thanks for the tips.

I am not picking on you, but I was just thinking, if you don't understand, how do you think the bear feels

Interesting. I can see how this is a better method then simply tying off to another tree, which is what I've always done. By tying off to another tree, a bear could potentually find the line and break it. The disadvantage is you really got to get the line high up off the ground.

I may use the suspend between two trees method on the CDT, although this requires a lot of line. When I used this method in the ADK's, I used a 100 foot length with a pully in the middle to go between the trees and another 50 foot line through the pully. This allows you to get the bag really high up and the pully makes it easy to lift up a heavy food bag. The disadvantage is now you have three ropes a bear might sniff out and break.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries
    Images

Untie the clove hitch and lower the bag.
    ...and if you can't untie the knot, just break the stick at the knot.

How do you think the bear feels...? That is funny!!!
    I gotta get my head out of the clouds, but that is where my heart is.

The clove hitch around a dowel is about the simplest knot to tie and untie. Just wrap the cord in front of the dowel, then down wrapping back and up and over the dowel on the left side, cross it over the front, pin it with your left thumb. With your right hand, grab the free hanging end, give it a half twist and hang it over the right side of the dowel and pull the slack out of it. Done. Some of the videos show using a piece of pvc and a knot that is much more complicated. No need for all that mess. This way is simple, and it works. KISS! As I read this, I don't know how to explain the knot with words, it is so much easier to see, but it is sooo simple.

The PCT "stick" method is a pain in the arse. I prefer the knotless PCT method. Just carry a small section of PVC pipe with a hole in your cord bag. So much easier.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpR_L...e_gdata_player
    Last edited by Spokes; 06-11-2012 at 16:01.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    The PCT "stick" method is a pain in the arse. I prefer the knotless PCT method. Just carry a small section of PVC pipe with a hole in your cord bag. So much easier.....
    Why is the stick a pain? Not knocking the PVC pipe, I just don't see the need.

Yeah, it works. I have no issues with the stick.
    GA 80-Miler

It's a pain when the knot jams and you try untying it under weight. That's why most people end up breaking the stick in two. The PVC eliminates this aggravation.

Images

It's a pain when the knot jams and you try untying it under weight. That's why most people end up breaking the stick in two. The PVC eliminates this aggravation.
    I can buy that, it hasn't been a problem for me but I guess the PVC would solve that. Either way the PCT method just works.

If you use the clove hitch method you don't have to pull all or any of the line through. (as was wrongly commented on in the vid)
    Like Whack-a-mole said it's difficult to describe but real easy to do - just reach up make two 'loops' in the line close to each other and then hold one loop behind the other and poke the stick through both the loops. (which have formed a clove hitch)
    Regardless of method, those PCT bears are pretty adaptable though - seem to remember they had no problem with my hanging bag once, they just broke the tree branch off!

Images

A very timely topic - I'm heading down to bear country next week and was practicing the PCT method on my deck this evening. I've historically just done a simple hang but the PCT method is definitely better. After watching a couple vids, tying the clove hitch was no problem.

The method works great on the AT also. I never had a problem with bears but a flying squirrel or some other very acrobatic rodent chewed a hole in my food bag last year near Springer Mtn. It really is easy once you figure it out.

Thanks for this post. I have played with the PCT method but gave up. I think that if I had ever seen someone do it in person I would have had an ahhhhh-moment. I gotta try this.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++