WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default 2013 Southbounders unite

The official registry gets a little crowded with all the people heading north and so few of us, so, I thought I'd make an unofficial thread for us to keep in touch and maybe get to know some of you before we see each other on the trail in 2013! Just going with the basic stuff for myself but add whatever you'd like about yourself. Also, I'd like to ask why you chose to go SOBO versus the masses.

I'll start I guess!

Trail name: Shimp (just a nickname I've had forever stemming from 1 really, really bad haircut I got as a kid).
    From: I live in Columbus, Ohio currently but I'm from South Carolina.

I'm 30 now and finally have a great job that will permit me to take the 6 months off.

I'll be bringing a water-color set and sketch pad to help with zero days and other times of boredom / inspiration.

Chose SOBO solely for the challenge of it. Some of the hardest hiking right off the bat. Being in pretty remote places where you HAVE to plan properly and try to get yourself into the routine of hiking life. Less people, I've never had a huge group of friends, but I do have several amazing very close friends. I've never seen the need for quantity.
    Live your life and I'll live mine, perhaps one day they will intertwine. SEMPER FI! 2013 SOBO

Great idea, didn't know how many SOBOs there would be all together.

Trail name: None yet, I just think it would be better for others to pick one for me. Just Chris until then
    I'll be graduating and I will have lots of time off for a while and I have wanted to do the AT ever since I heard about it when I first started backpacking a few years ago.
    I'll be bringing a slingshot with me, always seems to provide HOURS of fun if I get rained in, or if I'm waiting for stuff to cook.

Reasons for my SOBO:
    1. I want to do the AT before I get to old(although age doesn't seem to be a problem for a lot of the people on here) and I figured that if I did it before I enlist it could only help.
    2. I graduate at the end of May,so going north isn't really an option because I want to have plenty of extra time to go to towns and do other things along the way.
    3. It means I am hiking towards home(well, a little past home)

Images

Trail Name: Pancake
    Start Date: Mid to late June

This will be my 2nd attempt at a thru-hike. The first time was NOBO in 2009 and I ended up traveling the country by car after a month. My pack was 40lbs (yuck) and I was going it alone. However since then I have gotten down to 25 lbs with food for 5 days and still have weight I can shed with expensive light gear, if I find it at a lower price. My girlfriend will also be with me this time, her name is Earthquake, her pack weighing only 20lbs. There may also be a friend or two coming along, but no one has bought a pack yet. . .

I want to go SOBO to shake up my 2nd attempt. I like the idea of the first "flat" stretch in Maine to break in, and not having to finish before Katadyn closes . It also works out nicely with moving our stuff home to Connecticut, and getting a ride to Maine from there.
    ---------
    Bringing a slingshot is a fun idea for sure. I might be trying that out here next time I am hiking.

Trail Name: Forrest - which is my middle name.

I'll be retiring next Spring, and finally doing the thru-hike I have been dreaming of since I was 12. I've had lots of hiking experience, so I know what to expect and plan for - no worries.

I was originally going to go northbound, but I've done section hikes in the Spring in Georgia, always going against the traffic flow of northbounders, and seen the crowds. After I thought about it I decided going southbound would better suit my personality. While I like company, I am pretty much self sufficient, and happier away from the crowds.

When I start depends on next year's winter and when Maine dries out a little and Katahdin opens. But probably as early as possible so I can finish by Thanksgiving.

Shrimp, I like the idea of the sketching - maybe I'll join you. A waterbrush and some watercolor pencils would work too.

Trail Name: None yet. I did Springer to Erwin last summer and my trail name was Winnie (as in The Pooh) and if nothing happens, i'll bring it back.

Start: Last week of June, First week of July?

I started a NOBO last year, and had a blast. Unfortunately a hospital bill and a financial crisis back home took me off the trail.

I want to go SOBO for several reasons:
    1) I had such a good time and have so many memories last year, that I think I will keep those and not try to redo it.
    2) I want to get out of the "herd" mentality that seemed to reel me in during my NOBO.
    3) I like the idea of doing Maine and NH first.
    4) Most importantly, autumn is my favorite season to hike in and i LOVE the idea of hiking with fall.

No way I'm going home this time! I'll crawl to Springer or rob a bank if I have to!

Trail Name: I wasn't aware that trail names existed until I scrolled down. Dan is fine, or rick

Start: Mid to late March

I chose SOBO because that's what everyone told me is the best way to walk with the seasons, which is why I'm starting so early. I'm doing the trail because, well, I'm sort of lost in my life, I'll be 21 in a few days, no idea where my life is headed, something about the trail really got to me and I just felt the need to do it. Six months of self reflection and the zen quality of walking will hopefully lead me to understand myself better. Not to sound all "preachy" or anything, best way to put it into words. We can be friends.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by gnpwdrtreason View Post

I do not think Katahdin will be open to summit that early. It's gunna be pretty cold wet and snowy up North. From what I've read on the board here June, maybe LATE July, is the earliest a SOBO should start.

I know on my NOBO attempt in 2009 I met a hiker who had started in Maine during April had to stop due to feet and feet of snow and frozen water sources,subsequently flying to Georgia to hike North.

MEGA '11, LT '09,'13
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gnpwdrtreason View Post
    Baxter doesn't open until late may/early june. This won't work. Id suggest early to mid july. The summer solstice in Maine is awesome!

MEGA '11, LT '09,'13
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by on_the_GOEZ View Post
    The summer solstice in Maine is awesome!
    *edit: The POST summer solstice time in Maine is awesome!

Trail Name: None yet.

Start: July 1, 2013

I want to go SOBO for several reasons:
    1) My job will not release me until June 28, 2012
    2) Everyone says the people are why they stay on the trail (reason NOT doing a flip-flop)

doing a journal: atkory.wordpress.com

Images

Trail Name: Kibble's n Bit

Wanted to start on May 1st, But that may be too early

We want to got SOBO because:
    We would like to get out of Maine before the heavy snow.
    We will be heading home
    And we wanted to take a train to Maine
    Kibble's n Bit's

I'm going to "register" here as well as on the main thread, since I'll be flip-flopping. I can't leave GA until the end of April and don't want to hike the mid-Atlantic in the heat of summer. I've done that before and I am capable of learning from my mistakes. So I plan to jump up to Katahdin from Harpers Ferry, giving me an excuse to take the train. So --

Trail Name: Sugarfoot
    Starting from Springer: April 28
    Starting from Katahdin: about July 6

I look forward to meeting many of you true SOBOs!

Trail Name: ahh, none yet!
    Starting: early/middle of june .. post graduation, whenever my landlord kicks me out
    Why SOBO?!: easier to get to!! mostly that's it, but i also have friends and rafting/camping experience on the penobscot, so i'm comfortable with the area and i suppose as comfortable as one gets with black flies. hope they aren't in full fury by the time i get there, yikes!

Trail Name; I haven't received one yet
    From; NY/TX/RI
    Starting; Early June
    Why SOBO?; I will be graduating at the end of May, and Go to school near Maine so it makes sense. I'd rather go NOBO but it doesn't fit my schedule.

One of the reasons I'd rather go NOBO is because there are more people to be surrounded by. I enjoy other peoples company, and I believe it will enhance the experience. Does anyone know what the average amount of SOBO's are?!

Under 300 annual SOBO's is the last number I read. Not 100% sure though.
    Live your life and I'll live mine, perhaps one day they will intertwine. SEMPER FI! 2013 SOBO

no trail name yet
    from alabama
    starting: mid august?
    im going sobo because im aching to get started and i'm impatient, and realistically my best chance is to start in the north. Anybody thinking of starting any time in august?

Trail name: maybe ByrdGirl
    From CA
    Leaving for Maine late in May and starting around June 1. I'm going with a good friend from school.
    Reasons why we are going south bound:
    1) have family that will help us prepare and drive us in Maine
    2) friend we want to hang with in Florida, going take a bus to his house from Georgia
    3) hard part out of the way first
    Goal: Find myself, lose weight

I have always wanted to do a long trip like this but I wanted someone to go with and finally I found a friend who is as excited about this as I am. Woot woot! Can't wait to meet some of you.

Trail name: none yet
    Originally from GA but living in WA at this time.
    Start: Second week of June
    Why?: I like the idea of heading home and I'm up for the challenge! Can't wait to see you guys!!

Trail name: none yet; think I'll wait and let someone else pick
    native south carolinian; USC grad. but will be wearing blaze orange by fall
    start: last week of June, or first July
    Why? I love the southern mtns in autumn, will be hiking home, didn't want a slow pace/bad weather to keep us from summiting Katahdin (if we went NOBO), wanted to wait until after my daughter graduates college to start because she's coming with me!

Trail Name: Don't have one yet

From: Originally - Southeast Louisiana. Live - Athens, Georgia

Start Date: Around July 1

Why SOBO: I'll be graduating UGA in May, so due to time constraints and the idea of walking home, I'll be a SOBO.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++