WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Hey There!

I'm Henrie. I'm guessing I'll get a new name on the trail!
    I grew up in Massachusetts, but currently living in St Paul Minnesota.
    Like many others posting, I'll be graduating college in May. I'm starting June 1st, rain or shine, and blackflies be damned!
    And yes, I'm just about jumping out of my skin with impatience!!

I wanted to go SOBO for two main reasons:
    1) Avoid crowds!!
    2) The White Mountains are like a second home to me. I've hiked the NH section before, worked two summers in the backcountry for the AMC, and done countless day hikes around the area. So, I know I can handle the challenge. Plus, it means that I have uncharted (for me) territory to look forward to, rather than ending in a (beautiful) familiar setting.

I really look forward to meeting y'all, and sharing smiles, laughs, and probably some tears, along the way!
    Righeous
    AT SOBO '13

Montani Semper Liberi-
    Mountaineers are always free

Quote Originally Posted by Lobstah Legs View Post
    Hi, I'm Bill, AKA Rock Lobstah from Chicago. I've hiked two long stretches of 1100 and 1000 miles in 2008 and this summer, respectively (including Shenandoah twice - it's one of the highlights of the trail). Because I hit the Whites in mid-October, the weather was dangerously bad, so the only stretch of trail I haven't done is from Monson to Franconia notch in NH.

I'm planning on starting from Katahdin again next summer and hiking south until I finish, and then possibly further. I teach, so I don't have to be back until late August. I figured it would be more fun to hike south with the Sobo crowd and finish with new friends than to hike north at the wrong time of year and be alone most of the time. I love the trail community and look forward to rejoining it for a while! Haven't decided when to start yet, but probably around mid to late June.
    Some friends talked me into signing up for the Warrior Dash June 15, so I'll be heading out right after that. With travel, call it a June 17-18 start.

Originally I was planning to hike until I had to teach again, but my buddy suggested a cycle tour home and I was intrigued. So I'm hiking as far as Rutland (which will more than finish the trail for me) and then meeting him to bike home to Chicago via Montreal and Toronto. It's going to be a great summer! Hope to meet a lot of you out there!

I'm Dave, no trail name yet.

The trail is supposed to open up on the 15th of May, so that's when I plan on leaving MA to get dropped off.

I've never been on the AT before (PCT and the Sierra Nevada's mainly), and I figured a thru-hike would be a great introduction; its also a wonderful way to escape the world for a while.
    SOBO appeals to me mainly because it is less popular, that and I love a challenge.

Images

Last year there was a very informative thread here on Whiteblaze that detailed the opening of Baxter's trail to the top of Katahdin for the last dozen years:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...t=#post1274899
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Hi my name is Derick.
    Trail name: none yet

I'm graduating high school in May and I've dreamt of hiking the trail for many years now. I need some time to figure out who I am and I think this trail will help.

Start: Early-Mid June

I'm traveling Sobo because I would be in a rush to make it to Katahdin if I did a Nobo. It'll be nice to see the changing colors in a different part of the country than if I went Nobo. I'm excited for this trip, honestly I wont be surprised if it changes my life.

Peace

Name: Eric
    Trail Name: None
    Start: June 1st (rain or shine, bugs 'n all)

Going south after graduation. Can't wait, I was planning a NOBO in 2014 but moved it to this year cause I don't think I can wait that long. Planning on a 4-5 month trek to get it done. anybody interested in hiking together and or starting a group let me know...

Name: Brett
    Trail Name: (pending)
    Start: June 8th

Going sobo because I'm graduating from UT in May, flying up on June 6th. Friend of mine finished sobo first week of december. Ever since he told me he was doing it I've just been researching about it. Guess I was just looking for something after graduation. Sick of looking at this computer screen every day.

NAME: Erik Kelly
    TRAIL NAME: TBD
    Start : first week of june

im going sobo because i live less than 2 hours from the whites and would like to be hiking towards something new and exciting. I can get a ride to khatadin and my house is still on the market. if all goes well it will be sold soon or else im letting the bank take it while i run for the hills literally =D

Registered User The Lone Trapper's Avatar

Trail Name: Trapper (at least thats the plan)

Start Date: First week in June

Why SOBO: Probibly mostly because my good friend, Fiddler, Did it. and also because i dont really consider myself a people person. my friend Fiddler is planing on hiking to the White mountins and his cousin (not shure her trail name) is going to Pa. But im planing on going the whole way. its also to note that im planning on carying my fiddle. so anyone else carying an insturment would be fun to meet up with.

No trail name yet...
    26 From albany NY

Have wanted to attempt a thru hike for the past 5 years but life kept getting in the way (school, work...) I've recently just made a change in career path and decided it was the perfect time to do a thru hike before I commit myself to my career.

Choose SOBO for pretty much same reasons everyone else... Plus I have a friend who did it NOBO... So I have to be different ha.. My lease is up in may I plan to hit trail first week of June!

Journal Entries
    Images

Trailname: COPrHead
    Chose S/B cause I prefer not start off in a heard of sheeple. Also I have to recover from my second brain surgery and a couple of life's transitions to take care of. I look forward to new frienships along the way

Trail Name: None yet

Start Date: Mid-July

Why SOBO: Just because no reason

Hey ajba9009! I'm headed SOBO sometime in the first week of August. Thought I might be on my own with a start that late, but seems like there might be some other late-starting Southbounders out there. Hooray!

Quote Originally Posted by TBRI View Post
    Hey ajba9009! I'm headed SOBO sometime in the first week of August. Thought I might be on my own with a start that late, but seems like there might be some other late-starting Southbounders out there. Hooray!
    No worries TBRI. If you want company you can always find it on the AT. I started SOBO August 24 2008 and 6 of us summited Katahdin on the same day (counting a couple flip-floppers). While I did hike alone for up to a week at a time, there were always other hikers in the area and I met and hiked with several people and groups before getting off trail in late Nov in Shenandoah.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobstah Legs View Post
    No worries TBRI. If you want company you can always find it on the AT. I started SOBO August 24 2008 and 6 of us summited Katahdin on the same day (counting a couple flip-floppers). While I did hike alone for up to a week at a time, there were always other hikers in the area and I met and hiked with several people and groups before getting off trail in late Nov in Shenandoah.
    Thanks for the encouragement! I hear part of SOBO is to find more solitude (something I'm all too thrilled for), but sometimes ya just want another human to pass the time with.

Hi! I don't have a trail name yet, although Hatteras Jack is a big maybe. I'd rather someone else give me my name.
    From: South Carolina originally but I went to college in NC and now grad school in CA.
    Starting: Not entirely sure, but I'd say June 10-15 is a pretty good guess.
    Why Sobo: It's really just a time constraint deal. I get done with school in mid-may, and I'm going to a wedding in early June. I, like most people, envisioned myself hiking north but that's not how the cards played out. I'm in between grad school and a real-person job, so I figured I'd do something completely different in the meantime. Not to mention I have been dreaming about this for a few years.

I am really excited to make some friends on the trail! I'm typically pretty shy but there's something telling me that won't be the case on the trail. Can't wait.

Trail Name: none yet
    Start Date: June 19
    Why SOBO? I'm graduating in May, so it would be too late for a NOBO hike. Plus my parents will give me a ride to Katahdin

Journal Entries
    Images

Old Boots
    hiked Ga and NC/TN last winter and spring. Will be starting @ end of June beginning of July. Hopefully black fly season will be over. Looking forward to it as I prefer wilderness settings.

Images

No trail names. My wife and I are going together. Still on the down low because of work. We'll go with G and C for now...

from Lancaster, Pa.

Going South to avoid the herd... Plus the timing just works better for us. Leaving home July 1st.

How hard can this be it's just a walk in the woods? Jk... We have sectioned hiked a few hundred miles so far.

We cannot wait!!!! See you there

trail name: have not received one yet, so ken is fine for now

start date: hopefully around june 8

reason for sobo trip: easier to get to maine many friends and family willing to help drivedrive, and i rather enjoy and take it all in r than have to rush.

i look forward to meeting everyone out there!!!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++