WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I sectioned the trail but did do a 5 week stretch. My approach is to set a reasonable minimum daily mileage goal to a specific point and then would look at "stretch goals" in case the going was good and in the mood. Inevitably early in the hike, I would hit the minimum goals and as I got in shape I would hit the stretch goals. By having the minimum goal in mind, if I wanted to stop along the way to take a break I knew where I needed to be that night. Once you get the long daylight days up north, you reasonably can hike from 5am to 8PM if you pace yourself. The one thing I learned is stop once an hour for 5 minutes, it feels coutnerporductive in the morning but it makes a big difference later in the day

While I think that you do need to keep mileage progress in mind in any long distance backpacking, IMO it depends a lot on which trail you're hiking, in which direction, and when you start. If you start NOBO on the AT leaving towards the earlier side then I don't think you need to be really mileage driven. This is less true on the other trails if you hope to finish in the same year.

I agree with whoever it was that talked about "thousand mile sections", i.e., consider chunk-hiking rather than thru-hiking if you're concerned.
    Another thing you can consider is flipping to knock out the part(s) that you fear might not be hikeable later in the year.
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

Images

I did the trail in two sections. Springer to Damascus, and Damscus to Katahdin. On the GA-VA section I obsessed about mileage. The end result was I wasn't having fun and got off trail in Damascus. On the VA-ME section the only time I really obsessed about mileage was trying to get to a PO or other deadlines, meeting family mostly. Other than that I winged it. Some days I would get up intending to hike 20 miles and stopped at four or five. Other days I planned on eight and cranked out twenty. If you just keep moving you'll eventually get there. I enjoy hiking but hiking the AT isn't all about hiking for me. Lots of other things to do on and off the trail. A lot of people treat the AT like a job and I think many of them were annoyed that I did it differently. I must have been doing it all wrong. I woke up whenever I felt like it. Hiked til I felt like stopping. Took zeros whenever I felt like it. I went to town whenever I wanted even if I had just been there the day before. There is absolutely no right way to hike the trail and every hiker has a different experience. And if you have enough time, you absolutely do NOT have to obsess over miles.

Yeah, I know, I never thru hiked, but a 1,700 mile section is about as close as you can get. Not much difference.

I wouldn't recommend it, but not carrying a map or guide would make it difficult to check mileage daily.

I thru-hiked in 1997. I spent a lot of time in the months before starting planning my days. id plan 4 days between towns here and there etc.. but it wasn't meant to lay out each and everyday when i got to the trail, it was more of a mental exercise to hike the entire thing in my imagination. Once i hit the trail, the schedule i made out went out the door. I did looesely follow it but if i hit town early or a day or so late, it didnt matter. For example, when i got to Shenandoah National Park, due to injuries, i was 10 days behind my "schedule" but upon leaving the park, i was a few days ahead because i was feeling better got sick of the "green tunnel" real fast. I hiked into damascus the monday before traildays and left town the tuesday afterwards, taking 7 zero days.

I then went on to finish in 186 total days. I guess my point is the miles will come when they do (my longest day was 33 miles and my shortest hiking day was under 1 mile). I never felt rushed and just knew i would finish the whole thing in one shot.

Do your homework. plan it out but dont obsess over it. be ready for changes. And hike your own hike..

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pony View Post
    I did the trail in two sections. Springer to Damascus, and Damscus to Katahdin. On the GA-VA section I obsessed about mileage. The end result was I wasn't having fun and got off trail in Damascus. On the VA-ME section the only time I really obsessed about mileage was trying to get to a PO or other deadlines, meeting family mostly. Other than that I winged it. Some days I would get up intending to hike 20 miles and stopped at four or five. Other days I planned on eight and cranked out twenty. If I like your attitudeyou just keep moving you'll eventually get there. I enjoy hiking but hiking the AT isn't all about hiking for me. Lots of other things to do on and off the trail. A lot of people treat the AT like a job and I think many of them were annoyed that I did it differently. I must have been doing it all wrong. I woke up whenever I felt like it. Hiked til I felt like stopping. Took zeros whenever I felt like it. I went to town whenever I wanted even if I had just been there the day before. There is absolutely no right way to hike the trail and every hiker has a different experience. And if you have enough time, you absolutely do NOT have to obsess over miles.

Yeah, I know, I never thru hiked, but a 1,700 mile section is about as close as you can get. Not much difference.
    i like your attitude.id probably take the same approach.its the journey not the destination.

What I heard from a guy who quit a thru-hike and his reason why. "You can't thru-hike without carring about how many miles you hike each day; at least if your goal is to hike the entire trail. My problem is I'm too lazy. I only want to hike a couple of miles a day until I reach a nice place and then I want to just stay there awhile."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++