WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Heyoka View Post
    I ended up buying a Golite Jam 70 and a golite jam 35. The total for both including tax and shipping was 146.00 (TWO packs). I bought the Jam 70 first after spending many hours trying on packs and really none of them distinguishing themselves. I tried and liked many different packs. I had even planned on just mail ordering for a ULA circuit based on everyone hypeing it. I am glad I didn't. I tried the circuit in dyneema and cordura at mountains crossing and was completely underwhelmed.

The Circuit is a very nice pack but it is no way three times as nice as my Jam70 and it costs three times the price. You are paying a one percenter to raise one percenter kids and run a business in a one percenter country.

ULA is hype.
    just came from the web site golight jam 70 is under 90 bucks right now said regular 160 sounded like a deal

You are paying a one percenter to raise one percenter kids and run a business in a one percenter country.
    That is the most ignorant statement I've read on here in a long time. Please explain your thought process.

Quote Originally Posted by cavediver256 View Post
    Nothing is better than seeing and trying out an item in a store, not to mention the good and knowledgeable advice you can get. I would also buy there. Reminds me of the people who buy motorcycle tires online and then take them to their local dealer and expect him to mount them. Nice that the dealer is there but he won't be there long if people don't buy from him.

Same thing applies to lots of equipment this day and time....nothing ticks me off more than to have someone buy their diving equipment on line and then drag it into the shop for service......and expect you to "cut them a deal" on the service charges. You're buying more than a piece of equipment when you buy from a local shop.
    AMEN!
    I paid retail in a local outfitter's shop for my shoes and my pack. They spent 2 hours with me on the shoes, and an hour on the pack. "The laborer is truly worth his hire." They earned it, they earned my respect, I gladly paid them!

(My Tarptent was bought online, no risk there, no extra services needed. I did take a chance buying my sleeping bag online, it is not as good as it's rating, but I'm OK with it; when I get the proper funds I'll buy a better, lighter one - from the same outfitter.)

Images

I ended up buying a Golite Jam 70 and a golite jam 35. The total for both including tax and shipping was 146.00 (TWO packs). I bought the Jam 70 first after spending many hours trying on packs and really none of them distinguishing themselves. I tried and liked many different packs. I had even planned on just mail ordering for a ULA circuit based on everyone hypeing it. I am glad I didn't. I tried the circuit in dyneema and cordura at mountains crossing and was completely underwhelmed.

The Circuit is a very nice pack but it is no way three times as nice as my Jam70 and it costs three times the price. You are paying a one percenter to raise one percenter kids and run a business in a one percenter country.

ULA is hype.
    Congratulations. Instead of buying a pack made in America, you bought something that's almost certainly made in China. Mitt supporter much?

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighter503:1320085
    You are paying a one percenter to raise one percenter kids and run a business in a one percenter country.
    That is the most ignorant statement I've read on here in a long time. Please explain your thought process.
    Firefighter - I couldn't agree more. What's better than supporting an American manufacturer. We are in this mess because each year we send about 1.5% of our national treasure elsewhere. Each year we have less customers to support non-manufacturing job because that segment doesn't have jobs. Your paying $200 for that $70 Golite pack either way. That packs just going to be paid from your taxes in the next twenty years. Please support American companies when you can.

Journal Entries

ULA is hype.

Congrats. That is why they make all kinds of flavors of ice cream. I hope you are happy with your selections.

You are quite obtuse to badmouth other gear though, because it isnt what you have chosen, and is more expensive.

You should note that ULA does not have to discount packs heavily to sell them.

The ULA service is also second to none. Want it repaired 5 years later when you rip it on a sharp rock? , done free of charge.
    Want it modified 2 yrs after purchase? Likely done free of charge as well.
    Lose 30 lbs and want a smaller hipbelt? done free of charge.

Most importantly, the Circuit will carry circles around the frameless Jam, and most other lightweight packs. That is the reason that it is among the most popular packs used by thru-hikers on long trails. It simply has the feature set that they want.

not to perpetuate the online vs mom and pop argument, but speaking from the experience of working at a mom and pop outdoor shop for over 5 years, it became frustrating when you would spend a few hours answering questions and fitting a customer, only to have them tell you at the end that they're going to buy it online, or have their friend get it for them on a prodeal. privately owned outdoor shops aren't free resources that are subsidized by backcountry.com, and the dynamic shift of online vs instore purchasing has created a lot of friction between owners and customers in situations like the ridiculous cost to get bindings installed on skis that were purchased elsewhere, paying a big chunk of money to have a bike built, and having to pay a fee to install a car rack( a service that most shops always did for free until a few years ago), and people that buy things online and try to return them to a local shop...)

Signed,
    Jaded Former Retail Worker

and to clarify, I buy a lot of gear online, but I do my research online and by reading reviews. I would never get off my high horse to waste a retail store employee's time for an item that I had no intention of purchasing from them.

Quote Originally Posted by pheldozer View Post
    ...I would never get off my high horse to waste a retail store employee's time for an item that I had no intention of purchasing from them.
    I agree.....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++