WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Elevation/Altitude acclimation - does Acli-Mate help?

I just became aware of Acli-Mate, a natural prevention remedy for altitude sickness. It's described on their website: http://acli-mate.com/ I haven't seen where it's been discussed or even mentioned in other WB threads about acclimation.

Has anyone used this and has it helped? I'm hiking the JMT this summer and have always experienced elevation sickness sometime in the first 1-3 days. We're planning on spending a week in Tuolumne Meadows beforehand doing day hikes to help acclimate but I wondered if this stuff works.

I have not used this product. However I am getting ready for a trip to Machu Picchu, Peru, later this year so have read a fair amount about altitude sickness, especially non-prescription remedies. Some of what I've learned:

-some people find ginko bilboa (sp) helps, some don't
    -quick carbs (gatorade, powerade, etc.) are supposed to help alleviate symptoms. The product you link to looks similar, with a few vitamins thrown in.
    -iron supplements may offer preventive help. Apparently altitude sickness is due to a lack of oxygen. Iron in the blood helps to transport oxygen and thus elevate oxygen levels in the body.

So what I'm doing:
    -I purchased some powdered sports drink to bring along.
    -I plan on taking an iron supplement two weeks before and during my trip. I picked one with some extra compounds to help increase iron absorption.

Hopefully my plan works, but if it doesn't I didn't spend a fortune and there's always coca tea.

Images

Staying well hydrated is important at altitude. This product probably helps with that, but probably no more than any other hydration solution (e.g., gatorade). You tend to lose your appetite in altitude sickness and anything that gets more calories into you helps.

Gradual ascent and acclimation are the most important thing you can do.

The only meds that are recommended are diamox (acetazolamide) and dexamethasone (for cerebral edema). Mate de coca seems to help a little bit and is legal in the mountains in Peru, but if you expect to be drug tested don't take it (it's coca tea).

Perry, you should definitely study up on altitude sickness for the higher altitudes you might reach in Peru. Search for AMS= acute mountain sickness, pulmonary edema and cerebral edema. If you have a chance, go to the Cordillera Blanca (Huaraz is a friendly town) and the Amazon (Iquitos).

one link to AMS is: http://www.basecampmd.com/expguide/ams.shtml there is lots of info on the web.

I know nothing of the product so I did some reading. According to their web site, the product contains:

• B-vitamins at 50% of the RDA per serving for energy, stamina and adrenal support.
    • Balanced electrolytes to reduce premature muscle fatigue and cramping and promote maxiumum cellular hydration.
    • Calcium and magnesium to further reduce the risk of muscle cramps and spasms.
    • Rhodiola Root Extract and Schizandra Berry Extact promote enhanced acclimatization via their adaptogenic properties; i.e. help the body adapt to stressors. Altitude and exercise are both considered stressors.

Their web page also claims that a professor at a University in CO "has run a number of studies at the lab with both recreational and elite athletes involving Acli-Mate® Mountain Sports Drink and Endurance." Noticeably absent are any statements regarding the conclusions of these studies. A list of selected publications from that professor's University web page lists no titles that hint about results in preventing altitude sickness with sports drinks. If this were a big deal, I would think he would be publishing the results.

To me it sounds like really expensive Gatorade.

I suggest that when your are acclimating at TM you climb high, sleep low. That works.

Thanks for the prompt feedback!

The company's website also has a "Testimonial" section with several stories from satisfied customers describing how it helped them. OK, but it would be nice to hear from a more objective source.

Regarding the Rhodiola Root Extract and Schizandra Berry Extract, I've noted that my vitamin supplier - Puritan's Pride - carries both of these but the descriptions say nothing about preventing or lessening altitude sickness.

We'll try the hike high, sleep low as much as we can along with frequent hydration. I'm more worried about my GF because last year in Yosemite, she never acclimated over 9,500' even after 10 days.

Images

from what ive read about altitude sickness, it seems almost arbitrary as to who becomes afflicted, regardless of physical condition, and the biggest key to prevention is gradual acclimatization and proper hydration.i think snowleapards got it nailed.

Quote Originally Posted by Perry View Post
    I have not used this product. However I am getting ready for a trip to Machu Picchu, Peru, later this year so have read a fair amount about altitude sickness, especially non-prescription remedies. Some of what I've learned:

-quick carbs (gatorade, powerade, etc.) are supposed to help alleviate symptoms. The product you link to looks similar, with a few vitamins thrown in.
    -iron supplements may offer preventive help. Apparently altitude sickness is due to a lack of oxygen. Iron in the blood helps to transport oxygen and thus elevate oxygen levels in the body.

So what I'm doing:
    -I plan on taking an iron supplement two weeks before and during my trip. I picked one with some extra compounds to help increase iron absorption.

Hopefully my plan works, but if it doesn't I didn't spend a fortune and there's always coca tea.
    Perry,perhaps you have already done so,but do check with your doctor about iron supplements as men at our age may need to be monitored during that time as iron supplements can cause serious heart complications.At least this is what my Father and then confirmed by my Doctor has told me when I expressed an interest in taking them.Machu Picchu.....sounds wonderful,have a great hike!

Quote Originally Posted by perrymk View Post

So what I'm doing:

I hiked the inca trail in 2009 and coca leaves made my hike a lot better. Tea in the morning and chewing on the leaves a little during the day made the altitude a lot more bearable.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    I just became aware of Acli-Mate, a natural prevention remedy for altitude sickness. It's described on their website: http://acli-mate.com/ I haven't seen where it's been discussed or even mentioned in other WB threads about acclimation.

Has anyone used this and has it helped? I'm hiking the JMT this summer and have always experienced elevation sickness sometime in the first 1-3 days. We're planning on spending a week in Tuolumne Meadows beforehand doing day hikes to help acclimate but I wondered if this stuff works.
    That's very interesting,tho I've never heard of it.have a great hike!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by gsimp18 View Post
    I hiked the inca trail in 2009 and coca leaves made my hike a lot better. Tea in the morning and chewing on the leaves a little during the day made the altitude a lot more bearable.
    What's the theory on how coca leaves work?

I am interested in the altitude acclimation issue as one who's beginning to hike in the mile-high range and working towards higher elevations. I noticed for the first time going up Mt. Lafayette recently, as I got up above about 4750', that it started to take more time to catch my breath. Didn't stop me or significantly impede me, just another moment or two to catch breath, but it got my attention.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Images

I'm more worried about my GF because last year in Yosemite, she never acclimated over 9,500' even after 10 days.
    This is a concern. Response to altitude is a very individual thing. Previous history at altitude is a good indicator of the future. 10 days should have been plenty for her to acclimatize. You might consider an extra cautious approach to gradual acclimation for her. At a minimum, don't jump right into the hike; she probably needs a day or two of relaxing at reasonable altitude before exercising. Do learn the symptoms of cerebral and pulmonary edema. Be prepared to descend in altitude if things are not going well. Perhaps she should get a prescription for diamox.

For me, the worst I've had it was sleeping at 4000 meters after a day or two at 3000 meters, headache, nausea. We decided to descend instead of continue. We hitched a ride and after descending about 1000' (300m) I was totally fine and hiked the rest of the 18 miles to town full of energy.

What's the altitude profile of the JMT from starting point?

Quote Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post

I am interested in the altitude acclimation issue as one who's beginning to hike in the mile-high range and working towards higher elevations. I noticed for the first time going up Mt. Lafayette recently, as I got up above about 4750', that it started to take more time to catch my breath. Didn't stop me or significantly impede me, just another moment or two to catch breath, but it got my attention.
    I don't have any experience hiking at the higher elevations,and don't know much about the coca leaves,but seem to recall a TV show that talked about using another plant in addition to the coca leaves to liberate/or activate,or change the compound to get more of (Buzz,like coffee) the active ingredient,which I believe was a stimulant.but only guessing here.Pretty interesting though.

Images

Driver8, the White Mountains aren't high enough for altitude to need acclimation. You might get short of breath a little faster, but at 4750' you're almost at sea level physiologically. You could just be starting to run out of steam because of the tough hike. Another possibility would be exercise induced asthma.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowleopard View Post
    This is a concern. Response to altitude is a very individual thing. Previous history at altitude is a good indicator of the future. 10 days should have been plenty for her to acclimatize. You might consider an extra cautious approach to gradual acclimation for her. At a minimum, don't jump right into the hike; she probably needs a day or two of relaxing at reasonable altitude before exercising. Do learn the symptoms of cerebral and pulmonary edema. Be prepared to descend in altitude if things are not going well. Perhaps she should get a prescription for diamox.

For me, the worst I've had it was sleeping at 4000 meters after a day or two at 3000 meters, headache, nausea. We decided to descend instead of continue. We hitched a ride and after descending about 1000' (300m) I was totally fine and hiked the rest of the 18 miles to town full of energy.

What's the altitude profile of the JMT from starting point?
    We're driving to California starting at 1,000' in KY to Tuolumne Meadows at 8,600'. We plan to base-camp at a Forest Service CG at about 8,000' and do day hikes for about a week beforehand. These dayhikes will take us up over 10K in places but not on the first day or 2 - we'll work our way up. We also plan to slackpack the JMT between Tuolumne and Yosemite Valley NOBO meaning we start at 8,740' (side trail at Tenaya Lake), hike up to the 9,700' level, then it's all downhill to the Yosemite Valley at 4,000'.

The real challenge starts when we hoist our full backpacks and hike up Lyell Canyon from Tuolumne. We've already decided that although Donahue Pass is reachable on Day 1 at 13.5 miles, its 11,060' elevation means we'll only hike 10.7 miles and camp at 9,650'. Fortunately, there are numerous exit points in the first 36 miles as far as Red's Meadows. After that, we'll play things by ear.

She's hiked at high elevations before but never had a problem until last year. Our bodies change as we age.

Quote Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post

I'm not quite sure how they work but when their supplemented with proper acclimation and drinking lots of fluids it makes things a lot easier. We spent about 3 days in cuzco acclimating before we hit the inca trail. The shortness of breath at 12500 feet on the trail was just something I had to deal with because I wasn't used to it but staying in Cuzco certainly helped.

Diamox is a drug often used to treat altitude sickness. It is a carbonic anhydrase inhibitor. You can look into that. But if you want to avoid drugs, I think you are limited to standard acclimatization processes. I agree with Hikerboy. I too have read that some people are prone to altitude problems and as far as I know, there is no way to predict who may or may not be affected. I personally don't seem to have a problem with it. I have had a few instances when I was up to 11,000 to 12,000 feet and had no problems even though others were really struggling. But these were car trips. I haven't done any real hiking at altitude.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Snowleopard View Post
    Driver8, the White Mountains aren't high enough for altitude to need acclimation. You might get short of breath a little faster, but at 4750' you're almost at sea level physiologically. You could just be starting to run out of steam because of the tough hike. Another possibility would be exercise induced asthma.
    It passed, whatever it was. I didn't notice a similar effect on my climb to Lakes of the Clouds a couple weeks before, but I was preoccupied then with the high winds.

I do have very mild asthma and have had a couple of small exercise-induced attacks. Might have been a hint of that. As it was, I was performing at my margins physiologically, highest one-day elevation gain and highest elevation attained. I was gassed, pardon the pun, on return to the Greenleaf hut, but stronger after a half hour rest there with a small meal and got down just fine. Looking forward to my next trip up that way.

PS: I googled the question, and it says blood oxygen levels do dip to 95% at 5K from 98-99 at sea level. That might account for the well-noted home-field advantage Denver and Salt Lake teams enjoy. When engaging in strenuous exercise, IOW, that percentage, which looks small on paper, could be significant and might just account for the moment longer it took for me to catch my breath a time or two.

Images

I'm not quite sure how they work but when their supplemented with proper acclimation and drinking lots of fluids it makes things a lot easier. We spent about 3 days in cuzco acclimating before we hit the inca trail. The shortness of breath at 12500 feet on the trail was just something I had to deal with because I wasn't used to it but staying in Cuzco certainly helped.

Thinking about it, I'd bet the stimulant in the leaves does something to increase capillaries' permeability and increase blood flow to them, increasing O2 uptake. Something along those lines.

We're driving to California starting at 1,000' in KY to Tuolumne Meadows at 8,600'. We plan to base-camp at a Forest Service CG at about 8,000' and do day hikes for about a week beforehand. These dayhikes will take us up over 10K in places but not on the first day or 2 - we'll work our way up. We also plan to slackpack the JMT between Tuolumne and Yosemite Valley NOBO meaning we start at 8,740' (side trail at Tenaya Lake), hike up to the 9,700' level, then it's all downhill to the Yosemite Valley at 4,000'. ...
    Sounds like a magnificent adventure, Cooker. I want to get out there sometime in the next couple of years. When do you plan to go?

Still haven't found anyone who's used the Acli-Mate products. My GF is more worried about Diamox's side effects than elevation sickness which is why we're considering "natural" preventives.

QUOTE=Driver8;1296304]...Sounds like a magnificent adventure, Cooker. I want to get out there sometime in the next couple of years. When do you plan to go?[/QUOTE]

The permit for starting the hike SOBO from Tuolumne is for August 18. We plan to arrive at Tuolumne at least a week ahead of time for the day hikes and JMT slackpacks between Tuolumne & the Valley.

A week at Tuolumne meadows before the JMT should go a long way to prevent altitude sickness. Stay well hydrated. If you really want to play it safe, ask your doctor for a prescription of diamox and get info on how to use it. I predict you will not need it. Caveat: You will hike slower at altitude with a feeling of greater exertion than at lower altitudes. The week at Tuolumne will not prevent that.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++