WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

:banana Some basic thru hike questions: When? Which direction? How long? Etc.

Hi all! First off, I'm new to the forums and wanted to say thanks for the wealth of info on them. Going through these forums will definitely make planning my Long Trail hike much easier.

I'm planning to thru hike the Long Trail this summer/fall as a graduation present to myself. I just finished my Master's degree and am in need of a break, so I thought tackling the Long Trail solo would be a great challenge and chance to get away. I'm an avid outdoors person, and have a decent amount of backpacking tripping, and guiding under my belt, so this is planned as a fun solo adventure for me.

1. How long will it take? I was going to allot myself a month to do it in, but I imagine I can probably finish in closer to three weeks, maybe less once I get used to putting that mileage under my feet. Getting a reasonable estimate from those who have done it will help me plan.
    2. When is a good time to hike the trail? If I consider that it will take 3-4 weeks, I have time at the end of June (after the 15th) through the end of July (by the 24th or so) then probably not again until after August 20th or so. So basically my options are late June into July or late August into September. I'd prefer to hike with less traffic, less rain, and less bugs, crowds being my #1 thing to avoid.
    3. Should I go North-South or South-North? Is one way tougher than the other? Is there a reason to choose one direction over another? My initial instinct is to go North-South, but I suppose it doesn't really matter.

I'm also planning on doing this trip solo, without cooking, and without a resupply, meaning I will carry all my nuts/dried fruit/granola/beef jerky/tuna pouches/cheese etc, from the beginning. I'm planning to hang my food, since bears don't seem to be much of a problem on the trail so it seems a bear can is unnecessary.

Any other good starter advice would be appreciated as well. I'm sure I'll ask more questions, but this seemed like a good start.

Quote Originally Posted by Kari Post View Post
    How long will it take? I was going to allot myself a month to do it in, but I imagine I can probably finish in closer to three weeks, maybe less once I get used to putting that mileage under my feet. Getting a reasonable estimate from those who have done it will help me plan.
    You're right in the ballpark; 3 - 4 weeks is common.

When is a good time to hike the trail? If I consider that it will take 3-4 weeks, I have time at the end of June (after the 15th) through the end of July (by the 24th or so) then probably not again until after August 20th or so. So basically my options are late June into July or late August into September. I'd prefer to hike with less traffic, less rain, and less bugs, crowds being my #1 thing to avoid.
    Of your choices, I would choose August into September as there will be fewer bugs. My ideal time would be to start in mid to late September, finishing in October.

Should I go North-South or South-North? Is one way tougher than the other? Is there a reason to choose one direction over another? My initial instinct is to go North-South, but I suppose it doesn't really matter.
    If you go south-north you will start with easier terrain and presumably hike yourself into a bit better shape before hitting the more difficult terrain in the north. Ultimately, though, it's a personal choice.

I'm also planning on doing this trip solo, without cooking, and without a resupply, meaning I will carry all my nuts/dried fruit/granola/beef jerky/tuna pouches/cheese etc, from the beginning. I'm planning to hang my food, since bears don't seem to be much of a problem on the trail so it seems a bear can is unnecessary.
    Wow! How much does 4 weeks worth of food weigh for you? Using the 'standard' 2 lbs per day, that's 56 lbs of food. Yikes!

Any other good starter advice would be appreciated as well. I'm sure I'll ask more questions, but this seemed like a good start.
    The GMC has a page with some info for end-to-enders: http://www.greenmountainclub.org/page.php?id=18
    ~~
    Allen "Monkeywrench" Freeman
    NOBO 3-18-09 - 9-27-09
    blog.allenf.com
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com

Images

Yeah, carrying all your food for the entire trip would be pretty difficult... There are lots of places to resupply along the trail so I don't think that is necessary at all.

Should I go North-South or South-North? Is one way tougher than the other? Is there a reason to choose one direction over another? My initial instinct is to go North-South, but I suppose it doesn't really matter.
    I'd suggest North to South. You'd have rougher terrain at the beginning, but then you could choose your starting day when the weather is looking good. In the second half, you'd have it nice and easy.

Getting to/from points in the north is much harder; so if you got injured or simply decided to stop, it would be easier to get out the more south you get.

Most people do South to North. So going North to South, you'd meet more people, instead of hiking with the same people.

In terms of crowds, I did the LT SOBO last year June 25 - July 12 and had entire shelters/cabins to myself on several nights. Even at Goddard, there were only 3 other people in the shelter on the night of July 11 (and 4 others tented nearby).

Long Trail end-to-end '03, AT VT Maine Junction to Hanover Rough's Avatar
    Images

Kari, good advice so far. Many of your Long Trail questions may be answered by Rough on longtrailpodcast.com. Listen to the podcast at:

Planning a Summer Thru Hike (18 min 08 sec)
    (updated 2010) Planning a Summer (early June to mid-October) Thru Hike of the Long Trail. Covers topics such as when to go, what direction to hike, equipment, staying in shelters or camping out, hiking with your dog, and more.

If you seriously plan on carrying all your food, I suggest NOBO. Your weight will be heaviest in the easier sections and drop as you hit the more difficult. Know a few that have done that and it is doable.

Done 2 NOBO end to ends and did the last one with only 2 maildrops.....Inn at the LT and Jonesville PO.

Agreed...about 3-4 weeks, but can be done considerably faster if desired

Best all around month is August, best colors September but gets MUCH colder than August at times, July is ok but still buggy and can be hot

I would go south...going north the trail gets more and more difficult, chills out for a second... then it's over. Going north the trail goes moderate, difficult, challenging...the jump from moderate to difficult is HUGE for many hikers, the drop from difficult to challenging is not as noticeable.

Going south, the jump is more gradual from challenging to difficult and the drop to moderate is much more noticeable....your last 130 miles are fairly easy comparably speaking. This is just my opinion mind you.

Most LT hikers go north but I can guarantee you 90% of those are first time hikers, in contrast I think you would find many who go south are repeat hikers....there is a reason for that, it lines up better physically if you think about it.

I think you are crazy to attempt a unsupported carry of all your food, especially considering there are 2 on trail maildrop locations. Last time I hiked the LT I resupplied 5 times, I will do the same this year as well.

Images

I agree with advise here to consider at least a couple of resupply points for food. I all my years I have never met a hiker who went the entire distance without a resupply.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Images

3-4 weeks is common - I think carrying all of your food for 3-4 weeks would not be at all necessary. You indicated that you have a lot of backpacking experience - - so do I and I don't know anyone that carries food for 3 weeks except people that are going really slow and mostly just camping in one area or maybe on wild expeditions in Alpine conditions or with pack animals. My personal max. is about 11 days and that was not on the AT or the LT. There are good re-supply points on the LT - - allowing yourself at least one or two re-supplies would make your trip much more fun. If you want to step up the challenge, go faster and hike longer days but do re-supply at least once. The most obvious and fun re-supply is Rutland, VT. The Inn at Long Trail is only a mile walk off the trail at about mile 105. - great little pub and place for an overnight - they let you camp for free in the field across from the Inn. There is a shuttle to Rutland - I think it's $5. I'd suggest a second re-supply at either Waitsfield, VT. (hitch), Richmond, VT (hitch from Jonesville) or Johnson, VT - (2 mile walk or hitch). I assume you have the End to Ender's guidebook - this is all you really need but a map is fun too.

I did an unusual outside in, outside in due to having a friend by Killington and the fact that the Green Mountain National Forest got closed down for a while due to Irene! Started at Canada south. Got off for a few days due to the closure then got a ride to Mass. and went north. Finished going over Killington and Pico with a few pints, Irish Stew and and Reuben at the Inn at Long Trail. That was a nice finish! Agree you may carry too much food. I resupplied only twice. Once at the Jonesville P.O. and once at Killington even though I could have done that at my friends house.

I would seriously suggest that you order the 2012 Northbound A.T. Guide by David AWOL Miller. Even if you don't need the whole book, it will be totally worth it to you. Gives location of springs and reliable water sources, restaurants, stores to resupply, elevation, camp sites, and is a virtual map to the trail. I'm not bringing any other maps. It's that good. Totally a wealth of information!

http://www.amazon.com/T-Guide-2012-D.../dp/0979708125

Quote Originally Posted by WIAPilot View Post
    I would seriously suggest that you order the 2012 Northbound A.T. Guide by David AWOL Miller. Even if you don't need the whole book, it will be totally worth it to you. Gives location of springs and reliable water sources, restaurants, stores to resupply, elevation, camp sites, and is a virtual map to the trail. I'm not bringing any other maps. It's that good. Totally a wealth of information!

Does it cover the entire LT?

Journal Entries
    Images

1) Give yourself 28 days.
    2) August to Sept
    3) South to North

Without resuppy is going to be very difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by WIAPilot View Post

Please look at the Sub-forum. this is for the Long Trail. There is a Long Trail Map, Long Trail End to End guide that are similar but specific to LT. AWOL's book will only get you a few days of the LT at the southern end.

Lots of ways to do it, but if it were me, I'd go south to north, starting in late August. Allow four weeks, and if it takes a little less, great. The terrain north of Appalachian Gap is not to be underestimated; ten miles up there can take as much out of you as twenty down south.

I think you're flat-out *nuts* to want to carry all of your food for this trip with no resupply. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it is hands-down ridiculous. There's just no reason at all to do it. Resupply, at the minimum, at Rt. 4 and at Rt. 2. Personally, I'd supply twice as often as that.

Your mileage may vary, and other people have good ideas too. Good luck to you.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mirabela View Post
    Lots of ways to do it, but if it were me, I'd go south to north, starting in late August. Allow four weeks, and if it takes a little less, great. The terrain north of Appalachian Gap is not to be underestimated; ten miles up there can take as much out of you as twenty down south.

I think you're flat-out *nuts* to want to carry all of your food for this trip with no resupply. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it is hands-down ridiculous. There's just no reason at all to do it. Resupply, at the minimum, at Rt. 4 and at Rt. 2. Personally, I'd supply twice as often as that.

Your mileage may vary, and other people have good ideas too. Good luck to you.
    I agree with this except since I went Northbound on the LT, I just think the trail sets up better that way - - most scenic stuff (like Mt. Mansfield) and hardest stuff later in the hike.

++ New Posts ++