WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Spam Alert Thread

Since the board is getting hit a second time this week with a spam attack, I'm starting a thread where we can post to warn of such attacks when one of us sees them. Might make it easier for the Mods to check for them. Hope this stops soon.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Doesn't reporting them by using the Report Post button get the Mods attention?
    This current spam attack started at 4:50am and seems to be coming from 2 posters. Should be easy enough to stop by blocking the two culprits.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Images

I checked the box that shows who all is on-line at any one time and they were both there. When I first checked WB around 6 am there were maybe 3 pages of spam. Took only a couple or so hours for them to have several more pages taken up.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Looks like it clear up.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

When you have a situation like WB had today - first 5 pages or so nothing but spam - its so obvious that the mods will figure it out as soon as they log in without the benefit of a separate thread or the reporting of individual posts.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    When you have a situation like WB had today - first 5 pages or so nothing but spam - its so obvious that the mods will figure it out as soon as they log in without the benefit of a separate thread or the reporting of individual posts.

Maybe one of the Mods could weigh in.
    I reported it. In the future I won't bother if it's not helpful.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

You have to take into consideration that some of these things (spam, bots, trojans, worms, viruses, etc.) can be very sophisticated and it's not just a matter of click and begone. I've played hell getting rid of some and outsmarting them when it has infected my computer. My brother just had one in his and for the life of me I couldn't get rid of it. It was beyond my capability. He had to take it in to the experts and get it cleaned out. Now he says comp is faster than ever. Just a warning, if you start to notice a drastic change in performance you may have one lurking. They're not always right out in the open. I don't think the mods were ignoring us, I just think they got a hold of a lulu. We're lucky they didn't have to shut down the site. They did good.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Quote Originally Posted by atmilkman View Post
    You have to take into consideration that some of these things (spam, bots, trojans, worms, viruses, etc.) can be very sophisticated and it's not just a matter of click and begone. I've played hell getting rid of some and outsmarting them when it has infected my computer. My brother just had one in his and for the life of me I couldn't get rid of it. It was beyond my capability. He had to take it in to the experts and get it cleaned out. Now he says comp is faster than ever. Just a warning, if you start to notice a drastic change in performance you may have one lurking. They're not always right out in the open. I don't think the mods were ignoring us, I just think they got a hold of a lulu. We're lucky they didn't have to shut down the site. They did good.
    Yes,they did/do a great job.It was thought that my computer my have been a culprit,but can't be confirmed just yet,all is working fine on my end,however last month my computer crapped out do to a trojan hourse/worm,that copputer is no longer in the mix,and hasn't been for over a month now.The new one I'm on show no signs of infection,and anti virus software is in place and up and running,I'm sure the mods will way in at some point,I imagine they have been pretty busy with the last spam bomb.But just as a heads up,if your not shuutting down after sessions,you may want to ,as this will clear cookies.

Journal Entries
    Images

The V software has the ability to look at the address and block the country, has to be done by highest level mod...
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    The V software has the ability to look at the address and block the country, has to be done by highest level mod...
    Not knowing fully how this works,the other dy that looks like it came from me,though todays did not as i signed in after it had already began.

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post

Maybe one of the Mods could weigh in.
    I reported it. In the future I won't bother if it's not helpful.
    If it gets reported there is a greater chance for a moderator to get it as the report goes to email. It is pretty obvious though when a spam flood comes in. Lately, most spammers are aware of that and only post 1-5 times in order to fly under the radar.

It is particularly helpful to us to report the odd posts that do not read exactly right and have a link dropped in the sig line or hidden in the post.

I just changed the human verification questions. This helps but I think the spammers circulate the answers as the beneficial effect wears off after about 4-6 weeks.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Journal Entries
    Images

As mentioned, it is best for the admins and moderators to have users click on the Report Post function. We will get this sent directly to our emails.
    We may not be able to act on it the split second that it is reported but be assured we will get on it as soon as we can, which is usually pretty quick.

As for the five pages worth of spam threads that came through Saturday morning; I deleted them all, banned the user names and banned there IP addresses from the server.

Thank you all for letting us know.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Thank you guys for all you do.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Images

One thing: if you're concerned about opening a thread which appears to be spam, posting in here would be one safe way to alert others on the board about it. PM-ing a moderator would be good, too.

Images

The spammers are attacking again.

Quote Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
    The spammers are attacking again.
    heck ya,and hard to,been reporting for a while now,at least this time they sent some pic along,lol.is that like a real person that does that or is it just a computer

++ New Posts ++