WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default After a mulit day section hike, whats in your vehicle for the ride home?

The one thing you have to have right away?

Cold beer (how to stay cold), snickers (how to keep from melting), so I guess I will go with gallon jugs of water and towels for a quick bath.

Depends on how many days (2 days or 2 weeks?) and how close a convenience store is to the trailhead.

Always have water, towel, and clean clothes regardless of the length of the trip.

A milk. An ice cold milk. Last thing I drink before I start, one at every resupply, and definitely one for the ride home. Just did 11 days on the Pinhoti and "Shuttle Shellie" (that's my wife) provided us with some excellent resupplies - fruit, cokes, etc. but #1 is milk. Gotta have that milk. If you're ever on the trail with me I'll drive you crazy about it. You'll finally say "will you shut up about that milk." (lol)
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Images

Milk or Mountain Dew. Definitely a McDonald's stop planned on my drive, pack of smokes. milkman, I definitely understand the milk thing. I think I've drank a gallon of the stuff on this town stop. I'll to the same thing when I get home.
    May your mileage always be higher than your post count.

I may sound like a snob, but clean clothes and a stick of deodorant. I may be a dirty hiker, but at least I won't smell like one !!

Quote Originally Posted by Whack-a-mole View Post
    I may sound like a snob, but clean clothes and a stick of deodorant. I may be a dirty hiker, but at least I won't smell like one !!
    You ain't a snob. A clean shirt feels good. This time of year I hike wringing wet from start to finish. When I get set up for the night that dry shirt is a treat. Next morning the wet clothes go back on, that's just the way it is, soaking wet all day long. Clean feels good.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

For me, it's not just clean clothes, but clean cotton clothes. The synthetic hiking clothes get old. Other than that, water and maybe sandals.

Images

directions to the nearest mcds.
    and a clean cotton tshirt,jeans,mocassins

Agree about the sandals for my feet. Clean clothes are a must also.

I usually try to find a cup of good fresh coffee asap because I have a long ride home.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

A clean set of clothes, sandals, a camp chair and a cooler of cold drinks. Love kickin' back by the trailhead for a little bit before rushing into the car again.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
    I usually try to find a cup of good fresh coffee asap because I have a long ride home.
    Amen, brother!

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    A clean set of clothes, sandals, a camp chair and a cooler of cold drinks. Love kickin' back by the trailhead for a little bit before rushing into the car again.
    +1 on this. It's hard to leave the trail. I like hanging around, looking back at the trail and saying, "man that was fun."

For me it use to be some cold ones chillin in a cooler,but most of them were gone before the trip got started,i'd be lucky to find one floating in some luke warm buggy,nasty cooler water....No more boy,I'm on the straight and narrow.My car kit now consists of change of clothes,cool drinks of water,gatorpee and if I didn't get a chance to buy some bady wipes,then I'll fold up some paper towels and put them in 2 seperate zip lock bags,one with a dilute solution of liquid soap and water,and another with just water.

Fresh fruit, the juicier the better.

Full tank of gas, half-pack of Twizzlers, it's dark, and I'm wearing sunglasses........
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

++ New Posts ++