WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Water Crossings In Maine

I've read that the water crossings in Maine can be both harry and numerous
    I would like any info on this and what do people think about light footwear for those crossings? I normally do water crossings barefoot.

Depends on the rainfall obviously. Yes there can be some swift water. Best to take time and investigate the most adventageous place to cross which may not be at the stream trailhead.

I never do stream crossings barefooted due to the risk of slipping on slimy rocks and getting an ankle twisted or worse. For shoes I used my Crocs but added a section of Velcro webbing around the heel strap then around my ankle so they wouldn't get ripped off.

BTW, remember to always un-clip your chest strap and hip belt when crossing! It's hard to swim with a pack on as you get dragged downstream. We don't need anymore tragedies.

Cheers!

I agree with Spokes - it really depends on the rainfall. The rocks are very slippery.

We backpacked in Maine in August 2008.

West Branch of Pleasant River => http://tinyurl.com/7azofjh (the previous day the river was a flood stage)
    East Branch of Pleasant River => http://tinyurl.com/7b7zqmj

Default Wear something

There will probably be some who will claim to ford in their bare feet but I wouldn't advise it. When I hiked Maine, I brought Keen sandals which are admittedly heavier than crocs but I don't regret it. Crocs will probably work OK though provided they're secure on your feet.

It also helps to have trekking poles to help anchor you. I always lengthen mine for the crossings.

Images

I'm a mad river fisherman. Always cross at the widest spot you can find, it will be the shallowest and least muddy.

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

Just returned from a section hike in Maine. Six crossings. No problems at all. Only one was just a little tricky.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

wookinpanub

I learned a hard lesson on this topic. The closest I've ever come to drowning was after a 3-day storm in front of the old Joe's Hole Brook Lean-to. I loosened my shoulder straps and undid my hipbelt, like I knew I was supposed to do. The little creek was a torrent and was over my waist. I fell FACING DOWNSTREAM. The pack flipped over my head and pinned both of my arms behind my back. The force of the water against the pack kept my head on the bottom of the creek. I remember mentally screaming to myself GET UP, GET UP! It seemed like an eternity until my struggles flipped me over on my back and I was able to lunge and get one breath. After that, I was facing UPSTREAM and getting up was possible. I crawled out of the water and was scared s&^tless. DON'T FORGET TO FACE UPSTREAM!!

Wear your boots with bare feet and insoles taken out.

There are a lot of them in Maine. They range from managable if the water level is low to treacherous if the water level is high. I do not recommend bare feet--the water is too swift in many cases and the stream beds can he uneven, rocky, and very slippery. I use crocs (tied on with bungies) to cross--the same crocs I use for camp shoes.

I broke a toe crossing stream bare foot in Maine. Almost made it before slipping off a rock! This was in the 100 mile wilderness and was lucky to find a ride out a few days later when the swelling got too bad to walk. Had I not found that ride, I likely would have run out of food before being able to limp out of the woods...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Actually swiftwater rescue teaches you to assume the "defensive swim" position when caught in moving water. That is, on your back, feet pointing downstream, toes up, and using your arms to guide you as demonstrated:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoS1ksrhDBY

Of course, the first order of business is to ditch the backpack and save your life. That's why un-clipping the chest strap and hip belt is paramount before your feet hit the water. A fall happens in an instance.
    Last edited by Spokes; 06-01-2012 at 17:37.

Default Water Crossings In Maine

Great responses thank you everyone. You all have reassured me about bringing some creek crossing shoes. Cheers

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

I might add that I do not carry water crossing or camp shoes. To save weight I just take my shoes off, remove the insoles and my socks and put them in my pack I then put my shoes back on and wade the streams with them on. After crossing I empty the water from my shoes, dry my feet, put socks back on, put insoles back in and walk my shoes dry.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Images

+1 Unless after a storm they aren't bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthMark View Post
    I might add that I do not carry water crossing or camp shoes. To save weight I just take my shoes off, remove the insoles and my socks and put them in my pack I then put my shoes back on and wade the streams with them on. After crossing I empty the water from my shoes, dry my feet, put socks back on, put insoles back in and walk my shoes dry.

Images

Due for a heavy dose of rain thru Monday. Just a heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by mudhead View Post
    Due for a heavy dose of rain thru Monday. Just a heads up.

Yep, after a low snow year and a dry early spring, its been raining like crazy lately and the streams are high and the mud is deep!
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Looking forward to my SoBo. wteason2's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Yep, after a low snow year and a dry early spring, its been raining like crazy lately and the streams are high and the mud is deep!
    NOO! http://www.weather.com/weather/tenda...E+MESPBX:13:US Its supposed to rain all week, and my first day on Katahdin (Saturday). What a bummer. The rain itself isn't awful in my book, but it is gonna make some nasty fords.
    Had a successful SoBo hike last year. Check out my blog on facebook!

Journal Entries
    Images

Cheap walmart old style with the PF Flyer look work. Rainfall is the unknown factor. Agree with Coach Lou although sometimes thes areas will have one deep side where the water will look darker.

I have just tested vivobarefoot ultra this past weekend and liked them very much. They appear to be lighter than Croce and the sole has more support than I thought it would.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
    Let me go

Wade or walk across the rivers in Crocs, carry yout boots as you do so. How high the water levels are depends on time of year and recent rains. Right now (June 2012) you can be that the rivers are running high (maybe waist deep or more) as Maine has had record rainfall this past weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthMark View Post
    Just returned from a section hike in Maine. Six crossings. No problems at all. Only one was just a little tricky.
    Again this changes rapidly with the weather. A hard rain, then yes the water crossing become very interesting. The trails were not laid out for the easiest water crossing

Be open to bushwhacking upstream or downstream looking the widest spot.
    Avoid crossing upstream of strainers [trees that have fallen into the river].
    Unbuckle your waist and strenum straps.
    Try to slide your feet rather than lift them.
    Use your poles to main three points of contacts.
    Look for a flat, relatively calm, water surface and avoid any white water.
    Be prepared to be stuck at a river wating for the surge to fall, if need be.

++ New Posts ++