WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    Hanging your food isn't always for the hikers safety. If a bear becomes too acclimated to humans and their food, it can often lead to them being put down as "problem bears". In the long run, you may be helping the bear more than yourself.
    Read the thread
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    Hanging your food isn't always for the hikers safety. If a bear becomes too acclimated to humans and their food, it can often lead to them being put down as "problem bears". In the long run, you may be helping the bear more than yourself.
    myth......
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Images

the bears can smell both you and your food, whether its hung or not.bears go after hung bags more often than non hung bags.they can smell mouthwash too, so make sure you hang your mouth after rinsing, before retiring!
    now really, in all the years that WB has been around, how many thru hikers have been attacked byblack bears in their tents? i know youll probably pull up all sorts of bear "attack" stories, but i am curious.
    i really want to know, because i sleep with my food, and i have heard plenty of stories, as well as a few cute videos here about bears pulling bags of lines.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    What if I hang it in my tent,problem solved...No?
    Seriously??? You are a Knuckle Head... New screen name??? "Harley" ...

AT 2012

I hang my food bag at the foot end of my hammock -- from the suspension line, under my tarp. never had a problem. I can see it. I do urinate under the food bag for good luck. If I am hanging near an occupied shelter and can see the mouse hangers from where I'm sleeping, and others have hung their food at the shelter, I'll hang my food bag with them and let my new best buddies guard my food while they sleep. I do not urinate under the food bag then. This is the definitive hammock food storage approach.
    Lazarus

Images

Ditto

For me, hanging gives me something to do, practice a skill, stop late evening snacking on precious food........., no critters around my tent.

Works for me for now........always open for change

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    ...in all the years that WB has been around, how many thru hikers have been attacked byblack bears in their tents? i know youll probably pull up all sorts of bear "attack" stories, but i am curious.
    i really want to know, because i sleep with my food, and i have heard plenty of stories, as well as a few cute videos here about bears pulling bags of lines.
    The stories of bears coming into occupied tents are rare. Within those stories some tents contained food and some did not.

A common theme is the missed Snicker Bar wrapper or Chapstick in the tent. IMO those items had nothing to do with it.

There is gonna be the very rare psycho bear out there that is gonna do something out of the ordinary. If your number is up, your number is up.....YMMV
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    The stories of bears coming into occupied tents are rare. Within those stories some tents contained food and some did not.

A common theme is the missed Snicker Bar wrapper or Chapstick in the tent. IMO those items had nothing to do with it.

There is gonna be the very rare psycho bear out there that is gonna do something out of the ordinary. If your number is up, your number is up.....YMMV
    mudhead sent me a PM about my Maine section, told me the raccoons are smart enough to pull a hung bear bag up by the cord!
    Ill continue to sleep with my food.

Journal Entries

I PREFER to hang so I have more room in my shelter and wont possibly attract mice, etc. But if I cannot hang correctly , (no good tree, slope too steep) then I have no real qualms about sleeping with the food either on the AT, as long as it isnt a known problem bear area.

At a shelter of course, you go with the flow. However, a lot of hikers really dont know how to hang good or PCT style. I am amazed that even after several hundred miles, some apparently have never seen a good PCT hang over a 20-25' branch before. I get questions like "How did you throw that line over that branch"?. Seriously, the idea of putting a rock on the end of the line never occurred to them???

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
++ New Posts ++