WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default To carry a pocket knife, or not

what % of you do you think carry a leatherman or swiss army knife, or something similiar? my history to date is more on the day hike side than the distance, with enough overnight camping that i'm comfortable out there. but i'm going to do about 300 miles of thru hiking in sept and can't decide if i should carry one. to date, i' ve needed wished i had one, or used it if i was carrying one.

i have a victorinox ranger, which weighs about 6 oz, which is more than i want it to, yet its what i have. its def more weight than i want on something i'm not even sure i'll need or want.

can you tell me what you generaly use your pocket knives for, and how likely i am to need/want one for similiar instances? i think the only 2 features i would be likely to use are the scissors and the blade.

and should i be convinced to carry one, is there a better, more lightweight one you can suggest? i'm opened minded to prices, though obviously cheaper is always awesome.

thanks in advance

Some carry nothing more than a single-edge razor blade.

Most of the time I carry a SAK Fisherman model. Not the smallest or lightest, but I've carried it every day for over 20 years, so it's comfortable to have with. Sometimes I'll carry instead a Leatherman Squirt S2, where the main tool is scissors instead of the pliers. The blade is small but usable, and I'm not completely comfortable with it yet. I suspect I'll carry it more often as I get used to it.

I used to occasionally carry a custom knife made out of a industrial bowsaw blade. Not too heavy, and the back edge of the blade was the only truly working saw I've ever found in a simple knife.

just carry a swiss army knife on your belt. doesnt weigh you down and all the little tools will be everything you need when a problem arises.

My Swiss Army Knife weighs 3 1/2 oz. I can sport that.

Images

Many ultralight hikers carry a swiss Classic. Small blade, nail file, sissors, toothpick, & tweezers. Under $20 & lightweight. I carry one but also carry a heavery one. Just my preferance.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Mike View Post
    Many ultralight hikers carry a swiss Classic. Small blade, nail file, sissors, toothpick, & tweezers. Under $20 & lightweight. I carry one but also carry a heavery one. Just my preferance.
    I just ordered one of these from REI for $15. 1.3oz.

For my bushbuddy it's nice to have a knife to cut up wood.

I found the Wenger EvoGrip 18 on close out for $25 I find most of the tools come in handy on the smaller knives.

Oh and 2.6 ounces. Very doable.

Leatherman's are for car campers not thru hikers, just like paracord bracelets and hatchets. But you can carry them if you choose.
    Last edited by Spokes; 05-27-2012 at 09:07.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    Leatherman's are for car campers not thru hikers, just like paracord bracelets and hatchets. But you can carry them if you choose.
    And I suppose section hikers. I carry the 2 oz leahterman squirt ps4. I like the relatively light weight and the flexibilty of having both a small pliers, scissors and small blade in one package. I do not however, have carry paracord bracelets or hatchets. If I am ever lucky enough to attempt a thru I probably will still carry my leatherman, hopefully that won't cause me to not complete the endeavor.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

It's always good to have a blade of any kind with you when in the bush. I always have a fixed blade with me for tougher work. My Fallkniven H1 has a 4" blade and laminated VG-10 steel, holding an edge & preventing rust like no other. But if your main concern is cutting open a baggie or cutting some string, then any ol' folder will suffice. Gerber makes a nice compact folding razor knife for about 10 buck. Lets you swap out blades if sharpening isn't your thing. http://www.gerberknives.co/product/G...00345/EAB-Lite

Forgot to mention I usually keep my Leatherman Wave with me when outdoors in addition to my Fallkniven. It's a real handy tool, but if your a ultralight kinda guy, stick with something like the Gerber EAB Lite.

Not committing until I graduate! Sassafras Lass's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    To each his own; I carry the Leatherman Micra and have used almost everything on it while in the backcountry.

The larger-than-Swiss-Army-Knives scissors really come in handy (especially for those of us who trim our own hair), the nail file is a nice coarseness and better than what comes on many toenail clippers, the tweezers are indispensable, the screwdriver is great for those of us who wear glasses, and believe it or not I have used the ruler.

Only thing - make sure you keep it in a baggie in your hipbelt pocket because those foggy days will rust that sucker right out.
    Formerly 'F-Stop'

If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.

~ Dolly Parton

I carry the leatherman style CS. Very good compromise on weight and feature without being a compromise on quality.

SAK Classic works for me. YMMV
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

I carried leathermen and swiss army knives for years on the job, but have never found a use for all that stuff on the trail. What the heck do you need all those tools for?
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

Victorinox Tinker. 2 small blades, screwdriver, can opener, tweezers. All I need.

Images

I carry my Swiss Army Knives every day, hiking or not. I'd feel really odd without a pocket knife of some kind.
    "You're a nearsighted, bitter old fool."

Images

Never underestimate the usefulness of a knife. I carry two. One is a tiny little victorinox Swiss army knife. I got it for $9 at walmart. One small blade about 1.5", a little pair of scissors, the ubiquitous nail file with the flat screwdriver ends, and the tooth pick and tweezers. The tweezers alone are worth having that little knife. It goes in my first aid kit and is good for small delicate work like splinter removal and trimming stuff, even for sewing stuff together. The other knife is a $20 rostfrei lock blade, with a tanto style 4.5" blade, half serrated. It is good for everything else. I have eaten with it, cut paracord with it, and other general cutting requirements. I've had it twelve years, for a cheap beater knife it's worked great, and its pretty light for as big as it is.
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

Journal Entries

I carry a Kevlar handled Kershaw assisted open 3 1/4 long folder. Have for about 10 years. I would recommend something formidable just to make you feel warm and fuzzy. Along with a p-38.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++