WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Trekking poles

Images

Lovin my Black Diamonds (flip lock shock with elliptical tube). Replaced the tips in Daleville. Use the straps as I do on my x-country ski poles - for that little push at the end of the stroke.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

I tried out Komperdell aluminum poles with flip locks and cork grips on my last trip, never having used poles before.

They're knee savers.

Now I've got to make other changes in my style. Now that I wasn't trying to spare my knees on the downhills, I started pounding the bejeebers out of my toes! (And toe bejeebers are not a pretty sight.) I think I need to lace my boots differently. Also, I need to get out more with the poles, and build up my triceps. They were complaining after the trip. You'd think I'd been leaning on my poles all day long.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Black Diamond FL Distance Z-Poles. Started using them last fall due to a sore knee. These folding poles are great and pack away easily when not being used. I can also fit them in my luggage when traveling.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by springerfever View Post
    I prefer my poles without straps. Strickly a personal preference.

I nearly took a bad tumble after a pole tip lodged in some rocks and the strap pulled me off my feet. After that little incident, I simply rested my hands over the straps and actually preferred this method. Decided a little later to remove the straps altogether and it works fine for me.
    I never use the straps on my hiking poles for this very reason. I was taught by an old time ski patroller, when I joined the national ski patrol, not to use my straps as the the poles are easily entangled. Never used them for skiing or hiking since. Many times a pole will become lodged in a rock or root as the pole is pivoted forward, when that happens as described above, I just let go and maintain my balance.

From RWheeleer: In terms of poles, you probably want to (1) avoid the "anti-shock" features (someone may claim otherwise, in my experience it makes them feel less stable, which sucks going downhill), (2) get flip locks, not twist-type locks, as they'll be more reliable, and (3) comfortable straps - the straps are the best feature on a set of poles if you use them right!

Seconded on both of these issues. Antishock poles have a vague feel to them and you don't get as direct and sensitive feedback to your hands as you do with non-antishock poles.

If you have questions about how to use the straps, Google "How to use Cross Country (or XC) ski poles).

Sorry, have to question the general advice to avoid twist-type locks. My Leki poles have never slipped on me, but I make sure I tighten the heck out of the joints.

Flip locks are the way to go if you have the money to spend (they don't often go on sale).
    Last edited by Tinker; 07-16-2012 at 22:16.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

Okay, so I am willing to become a trekking pole convert. I have never used trekking poles, but the knees are telling me I should give it a go. I am thinking of picking up a decent pair of trekking poles, but have a question I want to ask before I run out and buy.

Though the knees are telling me to get poles, I have also had recent surgery on my right Rotator Cuff. Am about 6 months out of that surgery, so I am not worried about doing actual damage. My question is: When you use the trekking poles, how bad is the jarring? How much does the "normal" shoulder feel the use of the trekking poles at the end of the day. Not just on the flats, but on mixed-terrain as well.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat View Post
    Okay, so I am willing to become a trekking pole convert. I have never used trekking poles, but the knees are telling me I should give it a go. I am thinking of picking up a decent pair of trekking poles, but have a question I want to ask before I run out and buy.

Though the knees are telling me to get poles, I have also had recent surgery on my right Rotator Cuff. Am about 6 months out of that surgery, so I am not worried about doing actual damage. My question is: When you use the trekking poles, how bad is the jarring? How much does the "normal" shoulder feel the use of the trekking poles at the end of the day. Not just on the flats, but on mixed-terrain as well.
    I started useing poles in the fall. I just got a new pair of Black Diamond Ergo Corks, I like them. After many conversations with folks, I believe my right shoulder needs that surgery, I'm holding out, but I can not say that any jarring from the poles causes any extra pain one way or another. I will say to make sure you get cork handles.

Images

Thanks, Coach Lou!

The surgery was well worth it. I needed the surgery for a while, but an acute injury made it absolutely necessary.

Get the poles. Saved me numerous times in the last 10 days

Images

Thanks for the input! I think I will get some poles and try them on a few shorter trips (without a pack), just to see how the shoulder does. If all goes well, then I will add the pack and see how that goes.

My knees thank you for the advice!

I have done three Thru-Hikes and never used treking poles don't have a use for them.

Journal Entries

Poles are great on uphill and downhill. They can feel a bit superfluous on flat easy trail sometimes, but hey, no one says you have to use them ALL the time.

+ to skipping the anti shock, just something to add wt and complicate things.

Buy light poles, your arms and shoulders will thank you at the end of a long day.

Buy adjustable poles, need to be longer on downhill, than uphill and level ground, and works better for supporting a shelter

My twistloks dont slip, perhaps some brands do and you are better off with flips or flicks or whatever it is.

Images

I adjusted my poles once for uphills and downhills. That was over a decade ago. Now I only adjust them for my shelter, fast/deep creek crossings and snow.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++