WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default UL- Dog hiking idea's

Having your dog along on your hike is a great bonding experience for you and your four legged friend, but they add to the gear you have to carry. I have a square of sleeping pad for my dog, but since he is an indoor pet he still can't handle the cold nights and sleeps in my bivy with me, but at 70lbs that isn't the best option. I have been bringing an extra jacket for him to wear, but it doesn't keep him as warm as a blanket. Any UL ideas for a doggy sleeping blanket. I was thinking if there was an insulated poncho with a hard shell it would work great. Then if he moves it will stay on him. Also, what kind of food do you bring for them. I feel that six cups of dry food a day is going to take up a lot of space on a 7+ day stretch without resupply. What do most people do for feeding while out on distance hikes?

Food just takes up weight and space but look for foods with the higher fat and protein content and try to plan for more frequent food resupply. I also buy olive oil for myself when stocking up. I pour a bit into my little squeeze bottle and pour the rest into ziplocks with the dog food. Bruce and I divide the weight between the two of us depending on how hot it is/ how much I feel good about letting him carry. Sometimes his pack is empty.

As far as staying warm, I found that an emergency blanket and cut up foam sleeping pad seem to be the best lightweight option. You could probably cut a 3oz $5 blanket into two pieces which would be big enough to cover most dogs.

Journal Entries
    Images

I am still struggling on this subject but a half of cheap fleece blanket sewn would work. Still do not like the available choices for dog food. I am also considering a sun shield from the dollar store as a pad.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

If you're primary concern is that the food for your dog will be too heavy, then perhaps you should leave the dog home. The dogs comfort should come before your own on the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick&Bruce View Post
    Food just takes up weight and space but look for foods with the higher fat and protein content and try to plan for more frequent food resupply. I also buy olive oil for myself when stocking up. I pour a bit into my little squeeze bottle and pour the rest into ziplocks with the dog food. Bruce and I divide the weight between the two of us depending on how hot it is/ how much I feel good about letting him carry. Sometimes his pack is empty..
    How do you know how much you can feel good about making him carry?

When a dog owner decides to take his companion, they decide that is there hiking partner. No other option is possible. Good planning and the willingness to put your self out a little for your companion will insure thier comfort. Mine is not a big enough breed to necessitate his own pack, but a 70lb dog, with a pack, should be able to bare some of the burden of food carrying. As for cold nights, a childs sleeping bag? Happy hiking!

Journal Entries
    Images

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    If you're primary concern is that the food for your dog will be too heavy, then perhaps you should leave the dog home. The dogs comfort should come before your own on the trail.
    Burger - I am trying to discover something that the dog likes while out there other than jerky. - which he is nuts about. He loves the great outdoors and wants to go everytime I go for the door.That said, if you disagree with dogs on the trail, it is probably because of unaware or irresponsible owners.. I am not one of them. As a dog owner that plans to bring their dog to the trail and knows the informal rules; the health, safety, and first aid issues I must consider; the impact a hike can have on a dog, the equipment and pack weight issues. As dog owner I am armed with the skills, knowledge, and attitude to do it correctly.

All that said, Every time the topic of bringing a dog to the great outdoors the thread deteriorates into another battle against dog lovers against the supposed "dog haters". So if you plan to post here, post positive advice about how to backpack responsibly with dogs as a response topic. Due to past experiences with other members "leave your dog at home and Keep it leashed" retoric from non pet owners is beyond dull and un-intelligent.

Please give your posts a little more thought in future.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Please give your posts a little more thought in future.
    I wasn't replying to you. I was replying to the OP. Maybe you should read more carefully before you start attacking other people? Jeebus.

And nothing I read can be construed as "dog hating." Rather, I'm concerned about the OP's seeming desire to minimize pack weight at the expense of their dog's food. Please, calm down.

I've found several excellent types of freeze-dried raw meat dog food at the local pet boutique store, low-odor, well-packaged, pricey. I often add vegetable oil for calories.
    The square foam pad is a standard mountaineering emergency item, and doubles as the corgi's sleeping pad.
    I have just sewn a fleece blanket into a square envelope for a corgi sleeping bag; have not tried it yet. A simple blanket may be better (the dog may not be able to get into the bag without help). Wool is heavier than fleece, but warmer when wet.
    A calm corgi will fit -- snugly -- into my soaking wet down sleeping bag, counting as 3 dogs on a 3-dog night. Like an electric blanket. I stuff the dog's pad behind my back inside my wet wind parka -- wearing every wet stitch you've got -- you'll have something keeping your back warm when you roll side-to-side. Do not try this at home, kids, unless your dog is calm and used to it; imagine being trapped in a mummy bag with a panicked carnivore....
    Pawz rubber booties for pad emergencies; on my corgi they can last for at least several miles. Very lightweight.
    Outward Hound collapsible dog bowl.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    I wasn't replying to you. I was replying to the OP. Maybe you should read more carefully before you start attacking other people? Jeebus.

And nothing I read can be construed as "dog hating." Rather, I'm concerned about the OP's seeming desire to minimize pack weight at the expense of their dog's food. Please, calm down.
    Read a little more? Did you not post directly under my post? you do not see the connection? Burger - my reply is directed towards you. And maybe I am trying to help you out, this could be a good thread for both of us, I have seen a few prior posts of yours about dogs. So what do we do for the betterment of WB? I would really appreciate more UL threads about dogs. In spite of my post count I too am here to share and learn. There isn't any drama here.

Woo

Wise old owl--sometimes people respond directly to the OP. Sometimes they respond to the post above them. I was responding to the OP. Can we move on, please?

If you dislike other posts of mine, please respond in those threads. I'd be happy to converse there.

Journal Entries
    Images

Well lets move on.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    I would really appreciate more UL threads about dogs. In spite of my post count I too am here to share and learn. There isn't any drama here.
    I have not had a problem personally with a dog on the trail in a very long and although I do own a dog now I really am an animal lover as anyone who has been at my house is well aware (my donkey however hates them). IMO dogs should not be forced to carry a pack because they cannot inform you when the pack causes them pain either ill fitting or too much weight. I know most dog people believe they talk with body language but think of how often we misunderstand each other and we use words directly. Recently in Virginia I came across a girl with a dog that was limping badly, she said she no longer put a pack on him. Who knows if that was the cause however she planned to do a 20 mile day anyway. It was really really sad as she had to call him many times and he limped away. It was truly heart breaking.

[QUOTE=Wise Old Owl;1310393 So if you plan to post here, post positive advice about how to backpack responsibly[/QUOTE]

Do you promise?
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

If you see me on any trail anywhere you will see my DOG!!!!!

I found great hiking dog food it is called Red Paw, it is what sled dog runners use. Has 1,900 cal per lb, which is nice and high. We made about 300 miles on the trail, then had to pull out do to my brother fracturing his foot...A great trick I learned is putting new skin on his pads as added protection on the rocky days, along with his booties in the real rough spots and during the heat of the day. Mushers paw cream at night to stop cracking. I used an old smokers jacket as his blanket, along with his coat, and a sleeping pad. If I noticed he was cold at night I would sleep with my legs over him and that problem was solved. I am really proud of his trail performance, he put on a show many mornings, acting/being sore. As soon as we put our packs on he was jumping around ready to hike.

Journal Entries
    Images

great post Rastayogi - Redpaw is a great idea - unfortunately not sold round here. But I am sure I can order over the internet.

Woo

++ New Posts ++