WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Hyperlight's math

http://www.hyperlitemountaingear.com...alachian-trail

I like the math here. Spend 2000 on our gear. And it will pay for itself.

Anyone else think this is really ridiculous?

LOL I think it is an ingenious marketing tool! I would have even thrown in the cost of occasional hotel rooms. There is a certain truth in what they are stating.

However, I may hang my food with cuben fiber or protect my sleeping bag and clothes with it, but the day will never come when I hike with what looks like a few rolls of Saran Wrap on my back!

I think there is merit to the argument. Less weight, less strain, more miles, less time off from work.

With that being said, hike your own hike, and some people hike less a day simply because they expect/want to hike for 6 months. All depends on the person.
    The one who follows the crowd, will usually get no further than the crowd. The one who walks alone, is likely to find himself in places no one has ever been.
    -Albert Einstein

They are making a big assumption stating that a person can or will hike an extra 10 miles a day because of lighter equipment.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

They need to add the standard disclaimer "Your Milage May Vary"
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Journal Entries
    Images

[QUOTE=peteyglad;1291342]They are making a big assumption stating that a person can or will hike an extra 10 miles a day because of lighter equipment.[QUOTE]

I do think lighter = farther on a given day, but...

There was a time when may hikers carried enought food to stay in the woods 7 to 10 days at a stretch. Far fewer town stops with thier unavoidable money suck. That meant up to 15 - 20+ pounds in supplies alone, so by definition it wasn't ultra light.

I think people doing that hiked the trail much more quickly-- on average - than those who are now compelled to vis towns much more frequently. And make no mistake about it, an ultralike hiker is COMPELLEDto visit towns frequently.

When comfort is king and when an extra day's worh of food is s evil as an anvil in your pack, costs tend to go up.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by WIAPilot View Post
    LOL I think it is an ingenious marketing tool! I would have even thrown in the cost of occasional hotel rooms. There is a certain truth in what they are stating.

However, I may hang my food with cuben fiber or protect my sleeping bag and clothes with it, but the day will never come when I hike with what looks like a few rolls of Saran Wrap on my back!
    Agreed... I do think keeping you out of town would save you money, but willpower helps there. You could go into town for food resupply, a shower, laundry and leave, or you could hang out at bars, get a hotel room, eat out, etc etc. How much you spend in town is still up to you, not your gear.

And I thought the AT was about the AT, not about a race to finish so you can get back to the real world. I would rather take several yearly leisurely section hikes, than rush through it at top speed/miles just so I can hurry back.
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

My experience has been that beginning at about 500 or so miles for a northbound AT thru-hiker, the importance of backpack weight begins to diminish because you're starting to get your trail legs. That, in addition to the terrain becoming less rugged for a northbounder at that point, leads to having the ability for most thru-hikers to start doing consecutive 20 miles days through Virginia.

Even though a lighter backpack would account for some additional miles per day in the beginning of a northbound AT thru-hike, I don't believe you could apply that proportional relative savings in time and cost across the entire length of the Trail.

I found the same to be true on the PCT also -- the further north, the less backpack weight became a concern.

Datto

Using Hyperlite's logic (less time on the trail=savings), if I don't hike at all, I save a fortune.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by peteyglad View Post
    They are making a big assumption stating that a person can or will hike an extra 10 miles a day because of lighter equipment.
    I haven't looked at the link but going from 25-30 lbs to 15ish lbs gave me an extra 5 mpd. My first long hike at 15 lbs was a BMT thru and I averaged about 27 mpd.

I talk about the extra miles by going lighter in my trip report I wrote a year ago on postholer.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Theosus View Post
    Agreed... I do think keeping you out of town would save you money, but willpower helps there. You could go into town for food resupply, a shower, laundry and leave, or you could hang out at bars, get a hotel room, eat out, etc etc. How much you spend in town is still up to you, not your gear.

And I thought the AT was about the AT, not about a race to finish so you can get back to the real world. I would rather take several yearly leisurely section hikes, than rush through it at top speed/miles just so I can hurry back.
    Hey, you are preaching to the choir. I will be on the trail almost 7 months while I explore everything. And initially? I chose so many hotels that they exceeded days in the wild - so even I had to be embarrassed about that. So now I'm reducing my hotels to no more than 1/3 of the trip. It isn't the tent and sleeping and cooking outdoors; it's the showers and clean hair; clean clothes; that will be hard for me. And I haven't hung out in bars since college, but well..depending on how many leeches, bears, and ticks I see on the trail - that may change too!

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    Using Hyperlite's logic (less time on the trail=savings), if I don't hike at all, I save a fortune.
    Expand the math equation even more and you've created a time machine!

Or is it traversable worm holes?

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    Expand the math equation even more and you've created a time machine!

Or is it traversable worm holes?
    Don't I need a DeLorean for that?
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

heheheheheee........

Is it too late to copyright the phrase "Slow and Light"?

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    Don't I need a DeLorean for that?
    Nope,just a snorkle and mask,and maybe fins too.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

[QUOTE=rickb;1291348]
    Quote Originally Posted by peteyglad View Post
    And make no mistake about it, an ultralike hiker is COMPELLEDto visit towns frequently.
    Rick, this can be parsed a few ways.

I disagree with the blanket statement "Ultralite hiker is compelled to visit towns frequently." That's not my experience at all if you mean that non-UL hikers somehow pass up towns because they have so much food they don't need to stop.

What I see is that the majority of AT hikers tend to go into more or less the same towns all the way up the trail - there are some variations but generally speaking not too many hikers blow by towns on the way.

The reason I go into towns more frequently than my more heavily laden peers is simply because I get to the towns quicker.

For instance, if a town is 35 miles up the trail and I'm hiking 25 mpd I'm in that town early on the second day. If I'm hiking 15 mpd I'm there early on the 3rd day.

So yeah, I go into towns more frequently but only because it doesn't take me as long to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Nope,just a snorkle and mask,and maybe fins too.
    Oops sorry bout that just realized this was the straight forwaed thread.My bad!

It depends on what your objectives are. A 1 pound weight reduction definitely has value, and should reduce travel time by about 0.5 days, but not sure how to evaluate that.

Images

Lighter is just tons better for me from several perspectives:

Less body pain due to less weight on my back
    Easier to take pack off and put it back on
    Less gear, more about hiking, less about gear/camping
    More miles - some improvement, to me losing more belly weight will make more impact than a few less pounds on my back

In the dead of winter I have been as high as 52 lbs for 7 days, no resupply............as low as about 30lbs - all in weights with water, booze and food.

I can do plenty of curls with 25lb hand weights, picking up and carrying a 30lb pack is comfy for me...........I do not ever see carrying a heavy pack again unless weather or distance between resupplies dictate this, or needing to carry a lot of water in the desert.

Be it cool new companies like Hyperlite Mountain Gear or others, lighter is the trend, new gear costs $$$. This is my hobby, I save up for things that I need and want, overall this hobby is a LOT less expensive than many/most others.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++