Default Mineral makeup for sunscreen?

Has anyone tried using mineral makeup for its sunscreen benefits? It seems lighter - kind of like dry sunscreen. I have a little brush and a little tin. Looking to save weight. Last year I used Rimmel 16 hour makeup in a tube (Target) and it really lasted all day.
    I'm very fair and do not want a sunburn, but also looking to shave those ounces. I wear long sleeves, hat, bandana.
    Thanks ladies!

I would check with a skin - doctor ! Even some Sun Lotions don't block UV A and UV B properly ! Don't take a chance . DVW

Yeah, any kind of dirt will do the trick...

Seriously though, it is best not to put anything on your skin when you are in a situation where washing it off thoroughly may not be possible. Your skin needs to be free of dirt and oils to do its work. The best option for sun and bug protection is a fabric barrier. I think that a light cotton shirt in white or light color and slightly oversized is the best in hot weather. It is cooler than a layer of chemicals as it allows your skin to seek its own moisture level. Add a big hat brim for your face and light half-finger gloves for your hands. A bandana can protect under your chin if you are on the water.

But if you still insist on using a chemical, I have had good luck with a Neutrogena (?) spray on. I can't remember the name but it sprays on fairly dry and lasts quite a long time. It washes off fairly quickly with soap and water or wet wipes. I think 'sheer' was in the name of it-maybe someone here knows.

I use Bare Escentials mineral make up here for the added benefit of sunscreen. Supposedly, you can sleep in it and it only helps your skin. I am curious as to others opinions.
    Formerly known as Texas Phlox.

Images

Some clothes ( Columbia Clothing has some) are supose to help protect against the sun beyond just wearing them. A friend brought my wife a T Shirt from Australia a few years back that had a tag in that among other things listed information on how much it would protect you from the sun
    Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

Dirt...very funny...Grayfox
    Glad to hear Texas Phlox has tried BE...I was also thinking of the ads (Good luck on your thru hike)
    Zinc is the main ingredient, just like natural sunscreen, so I wanted to know what experience of other women
    I can't remember ever getting a sunburn thru any clothing.
    I really don't understand (or want to) why a man would post to a question about makeup...

Well, just to clarify and expand your understanding--you should not assume that 'Grayfox' is a guy and when you click on 'Todays posts' you get a list of whatever are the most recent posts from all the forums.

And, as are most answers offered here, just trying to be helpful in any way possible to enhance the hiking of those less experienced.

I assumed Dave was a guy. But you know what assuming can do...
    I appreciate the experiences of others.
    Happy trails.

Regular sunscreen helps you to maintain your skin tone.

Regular sunscreen helps you to maintain your skin tone.

I had some sunscreen that I used on my shoulders and arms at the beginning of my hike but found that I didn't need it later. It was one time that I let myself get a little tan (I am fair skinned - so not a big tanner) and really a lot of the trail is in the woods where there's not much direct sunlight coming through. I did carry a very small amount of face moisturizer that had sunscreen in it and used it pretty regularly- but yes, dirt works too, lol! I also made the mistake a couple of times in town of putting lotion on my legs and then getting very mild cases of prickly heat which I solved by washing off the lotion as soon as I realized it. For me, having just skin without the other stuff on it, especially on arms and legs, seemed to be the best option.
    Good luck with your decision!
    "Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" - Mary Oliver
    http://wildandwhiteblazing.com

Default Used it for years

Quote Originally Posted by GrandCanyonWildflowr View Post
    Has anyone tried using mineral makeup for its sunscreen benefits? It seems lighter - kind of like dry sunscreen. I have a little brush and a little tin. Looking to save weight. Last year I used Rimmel 16 hour makeup in a tube (Target) and it really lasted all day.
    I'm very fair and do not want a sunburn, but also looking to shave those ounces. I wear long sleeves, hat, bandana.
    Thanks ladies!
    I used mineral makeup for years here along the Gulf Coast and have not had any sunburns on my face. I've never worn it hiking, but I did notice it seemed to "fall off" toward the end of the day, probably due to our high humidity.

I have switched to a Revlon Colorstay makeup, which I also believe has sunscreen in it, (more because of the changes with my skin as I age) and it stays on even in our most humid days. Walked ten+ miles today in 90+ humidity and it was still going strong at the end. Having said that, it does require a good washing with soap and water to remove, I don't think it would be good for hiking.

Images

If I wear any kind of lotion sunscreen, whether it's just for that or it's a facial moisturizer that contains sunscreen, when I sweat it runs down into my eyes and stings something fierce. So I rarely use it. I might put a little over my nose and on my cheeks but that's it. I'm fair but tan very easily (must be the Portuguese heritage) and just had a full body exam at the dermatologist's - no issues whatsoever in spite of spending most of my life out in the full sun. I usually wear Covergirl Ageless cream powder foundation (has sunscreen) but it's always all gone by the time I've been sweating for a couple of hours and keep wiping the sweat away. I may try the minerals makeup.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Section Hiker

I use mineral powder as my make up every day and have noticed it's sun-blocking properties, ie, no burn. However, people above make great points about UVA/UVB, not washing face every day, etc. Best to talk to your dermatologist. Having said that, I'm either a weekend warrior or on a long hike it's summer and tree'd well. For weekends, I apply Aveeno face lotion with sunscreen and my powder. I do wash my face before bed, and even with my regular sunscreen on my arms there is enough left for day two. Still, always wear a hat with a good bill or brim that protects your face. I have an OR vented ball cap I love.

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Great question! On backpacking trips, I keep it simple--but won't be caught dead without make-up! I put some of this:

Aveeno.jpg

into both sides of a contact lens case (or, put this on one side and cream blush on the other) Broad spectrum sunscreen, moisturizer AND coverage. I've never taken mineral make-up backpacking but I'd be worried about spilling powder everywhere. Best of luck!
    "Pips"

++ New Posts ++