WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Default Standing Indian Loop?

Has anyone done the Standing Indian loop? Basically you start in the campground, go southeast until you run into the AT by the SI shelter, then around 18 miles of the AT and back into the campground. It sounds like a good overnight to me with no shuttle issues.

I wanted to do springer to neels but time is a problem.

Any good views and interest points on this tiny bit of trail? Is standing Indian busy in late June?
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

This is a GREAT loop, and like you said..no shuttle required. I would suggest parking a Backcountry Information, hike through the campground and take the Kimsey creek trail up to deep gap on the AT. From there you can camp atop Standing Indian..there IS water close to the summit or stay at the shelter just south of Standing Indian. Next day , get an early start..take a break at Carter gap for lunch and continue on to Mt. Albert for an overnight. If you need a shelter, Big Springs is just north of Mt. Albert. Next morning, hike north to Glassmine gap. Take trail on left at gap (Long Branch trail) back down to your car. This time of year is ideal for this loop with azaleas and mountain laurel in bloom. I have done both directions and prefer the one above. Hope you have a wonderful hike !!

This might be a little long for a single overnight , unless you are up for it. No really difficult terrain except for Mt. Albert which is one .3 mile of serious vertical gain.

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

What springerfever said.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

wookinpanub

Have fun with Albert Mountain and don't you dare take the road walk! It's like a jungle gym in places. One of the steepest places on the entire trail. Relatively short, though.

Images

Great loop, yes. Nice views at Standing Indian and Albert Mountain if the weather is good. Camp at the top of Standing Indian if possible. This makes a very nice 2-night hike.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

I don't know why I said overnight. I meant 2... One after arriving at campground in the afternoon, and another after a full day of hiking. I have a time cushion, I could spend a third night near the campground as long as I can leave by 10am...
    Do they charge you just to park at backcountry info, or is the fee only if you camp? On the web it said $16/night.
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

No charge unless you stay in the campground itself. The campground is primarily used by campers and motor homes. Backcountry Information is nothing more than a few informational kiosks located by the side of the road. Its on a well maintained dirt road and has parking for approximately 10 vehicles. I have parked my unlocked jeep there a dozen times with no problems whatsoever.

Kimsey Creek trail is absolutely beautiful and a great way to start your hike. It can be a little confusing finding the KC trailhead, so I would suggest that before parking at BCI you first drive throught the campground and ask one of the on-site hosts for information you might need. There is a group campground that has a vehicle stream crossing that is close to the trail head. No need to cross this stream or the bridge located a few yards just upsteam. Keep the stream to your left and follow the trail upstream and look for the blue blazes.

Water atop Standing Indian is located just off the AT down a fairly steep blue-blaze trail to your left (hiking north). You will notice a prominent whiterock on the footpath approx 200 feet down the trail that leads to a piped spring with a dependable water flow. Two nights is plenty and you will need to cover approximately 10-12 miles per day. Plenty of excellent campsites all along this hike.

Excellent views to be had, particularly from Mt. Albert. I have taken some incredible pictures from the M.A. firetower at sunrise with clouds in the valley and peaks poking through the mist at daybreak. Get there early and brew a cup of coffee to watch a beautiful sunrise and get your last day started right. There are actually a couple of good campsites atop Albert, but no water. You will have to go down to the Big Spring shelter for water and bring it back up if you stay on top. Shelter is only about a mile down the backside of Albert. Let us know how your hike goes...It is one of my favorites.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Images

Quote Originally Posted by springerfever View Post
    No charge unless you stay in the campground itself. The campground is primarily used by campers and motor homes. Backcountry Information is nothing more than a few informational kiosks located by the side of the road. Its on a well maintained dirt road and has parking for approximately 10 vehicles. I have parked my unlocked jeep there a dozen times with no problems whatsoever.

Kimsey Creek trail is absolutely beautiful and a great way to start your hike. It can be a little confusing finding the KC trailhead, so I would suggest that before parking at BCI you first drive throught the campground and ask one of the on-site hosts for information you might need. There is a group campground that has a vehicle stream crossing that is close to the trail head. No need to cross this stream or the bridge located a few yards just upsteam. Keep the stream to your left and follow the trail upstream and look for the blue blazes.

Water atop Standing Indian is located just off the AT down a fairly steep blue-blaze trail to your left (hiking north). You will notice a prominent whiterock on the footpath approx 200 feet down the trail that leads to a piped spring with a dependable water flow. Two nights is plenty and you will need to cover approximately 10-12 miles per day. Plenty of excellent campsites all along this hike.

Excellent views to be had, particularly from Mt. Albert. I have taken some incredible pictures from the M.A. firetower at sunrise with clouds in the valley and peaks poking through the mist at daybreak. Get there early and brew a cup of coffee to watch a beautiful sunrise and get your last day started right. There are actually a couple of good campsites atop Albert, but no water. You will have to go down to the Big Spring shelter for water and bring it back up if you stay on top. Shelter is only about a mile down the backside of Albert. Let us know how your hike goes...It is one of my favorites.
    you will have a lot of fun, go for it...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by springerfever View Post
    Excellent views to be had, particularly from Mt. Albert. I have taken some incredible pictures from the M.A. firetower at sunrise with clouds in the valley and peaks poking through the mist at daybreak.
    I've hiked that section three or four times now, and I have *never* had any sort of view from Albert Mountain. Dang it. It's always completely socked in.

Nice photos.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I agree with everything already said. I have done this loop at least 6 times, both ways. Both 3 day and as an overnight hike staying at Carter Gap Shelter (about the half-way point). I am also hoping to do this loop again in June. Hope you have a great hike.

Images

Default Mt. Albert

I camped with the family at Standing Indian back in 2007. We did a day hike up Mt. Albert. Great views and a terriffic time. I am planning a week long section just north of that this fall.
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..." Isaac Asimov

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Here's a few more photographs from this area taken early June. With the southeast having such a mild winter and an early spring, a lot of the flowers might be in bloom now.

Images

034.jpg I know it's upsice down, but here's the view from the Mt. Albert Fire Tower. Absolutely amazing.
    May your mileage always be higher than your post count.

Images

How is the water situation up there? I got screwed out of my june hike, but its looking like I might have some time july 4 weekend. Im from the SC midlands, so Im used to the hot, but I dont want to thirst to death. Thanks for all the help and pictures! They are really great.

Quote Originally Posted by Theosus View Post
    How is the water situation up there? I got screwed out of my june hike, but its looking like I might have some time july 4 weekend. Im from the SC midlands, so Im used to the hot, but I dont want to thirst to death. Thanks for all the help and pictures! They are really great.
    Did a section hike from Deep Gap to Rock Gap last weekend and there was plenty of water available between these trailheads. Hiked from Deep Gap to Carter Gap the first day and then out to Rock Gap where we left my truck. Big Spring Shelter was absolutely filthy or else we might have stuck to the plan and stayed the second night, but 8.5 miles the first day and 12.2 the second was more than manageable and we beat the rain on Sunday. The older shelter at Carter Gap has been taken down but you can still tent camp there. Other than that not much more to report.

aka Kudzu
    Images

I really enjoyed the view from Albert.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

clutch thread. my cousin is on a thru hike and meeting him up there tomorrow to do the loop.

Reviving an old thread, but I'm planning to do this hike in late May. I'm a total newbie -- camped lots, backpacked never. Trying to get in shape for the mountains. (Another Florida flatlander!)

My question is this: how is the bug situation in late spring/early summer? I've been in NC in the summer plenty and don't recall much in the way of mosquitoes up in the elevations. Should I be prepared for particularly buggy conditions?

Bugs aren't that bad on the loop in June. Can get humid/hot. I would go from the Backcounty Info ctr to long branch then to AT at Glassmine Gap, head South to Kimsey Creek Trail as an overnighter. Waste time on Albert Mtn Firetower your first day, camp at Carter Shelter or Beech Gap, head to Standing Indian and down Kimsey Creek Trail to car at the Info Ctr.

Those photos bring back memories. I woke up up on SI one morning and all you could see were white cloud below you. No peaks, no trees not anything but white clouds. It was gorgeous.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++