WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by yankeehotelbackpack View Post
    My question is this: how is the bug situation in late spring/early summer? I've been in NC in the summer plenty and don't recall much in the way of mosquitoes up in the elevations. Should I be prepared for particularly buggy conditions?
    Doing that at the end of May, too. Things conspired against me up until now, but I've got a few friends going with me on this one. Knowing that it's georgia in the spring/summer, I wouldn't put it past the bugs to be planning full out assaults, but I dont know.
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

Maybe its marked better now but we got turned around and end up a mile or two down deep gap road on a different trail than Kinsey Creek. The fire road that cuts across the ridge line and down through the reasearch area was quite a ride.

Thanks for the feedback! What with all the water in that area, I guess lotsa bugs wouldn't be out of the question. Looking forward to my first walkabout with full backpack. This site is fantastic -- love reading all the helpful hints from passionate outdoors-lovers.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Maybe its marked better now but we got turned around and end up a mile or two down deep gap road on a different trail than Kinsey Creek. The fire road that cuts across the ridge line and down through the reasearch area was quite a ride.
    You must have been hiking southbound on the AT. If headed northbound on the AT, the Kinsey Creek trail deadends into Deep Gap where the trashcans are located. Great place to get rid of any garbage !

On this particular hike, I prefer the northbound route on the AT..it just has a better 'feel'. You are actually headed south on some stretches as you go around the Standing Indian basin. Some blue-blazers might be tempted to cut thru the campground and save about 20 miles but , DON'T DO IT!!....You will be missing some great trail !!

Here's a few more pictures of the area.........
    Attached Images Attached Images

Be aware: the Kimsey Creek Trail is a very wet trail (first half after the campground). Hiked it in early April this year and parts of the trail were a creek. Major crossings do have bridges though.

Just found out the Big Springs shelter, just north of Albert Mountain has been replaced by this new shelter...LONG BRANCH SHELTER...a little furthur north. Not sure if BSS is still standing..it was in pretty bad shape and used by the locals for partying. The mice are going to miss it !!

Her's a link to the new shelter and a picture. Looks to be a great design !

Note to myself............I need to get out more often !! Hopefully I will, as soon as my right knee is up to the challenge after ACL surgery a month ago.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...Branch-Shelter

Images

Was through the SI section of the AT this past Monday, 4/22. Big Spring is gone totally. The site is posted "No camping" restoration in progress. The notice says the new shelter is about one mile north on the trail. Actually it is the 1.8 miles noted in the AT Guide. The new shelter is a sturdy, spacious structure with two levels. No bear cables and not many bear bag trees. Abundant water on the blue blaze trail into the shelter. There are, as of now, only two tent sites that are scribed into the slope below the shelter and no level ground for more. The privy is a mouldering type close to an visible from the shelter. This is a very nice shelter. Thanks to all of the willing hands that made it possible.

BTW the trail leading north up to the Ablert Mtn bypass is treacherous in several spots with being a rock jumble and lots of water running the trail course. It is marked with red tape in several places so I'd guess some improvements are being planned .
    Let no one be deluded that a knowledge of the path can substitute for putting one foot in front of the other.
    —M. C. Richards

Another newbie question: what is the best way to find out about water sources in this area? I guess the AT part of the trail has water at shelters, but what of the rest of it? Just filter water from streams and the Nantahala River? Got a map from the National Forest Service (copyright 1986!!!) and water was not marked. I've read it is plentiful -- but where is it? Thanks for advice!

Quote Originally Posted by yankeehotelbackpack View Post
    Another newbie question: what is the best way to find out about water sources in this area? I guess the AT part of the trail has water at shelters, but what of the rest of it? Just filter water from streams and the Nantahala River? Got a map from the National Forest Service (copyright 1986!!!) and water was not marked. I've read it is plentiful -- but where is it? Thanks for advice!
    just below the bald on SI ( i am pretty sure it is to the northwest) is a spring. There should be a marker there, it is about 50 feet from the trail. At least it used to be one there.

Two of the feeder trails to the AT in this area (Long CREEK Trail, Kimsey CREEK Trail) have abundant water. Also, this time of year, you will have no problems with water. Have a great hike.

Images

From the south edge of the loop there is a spur trail up to a falls. It looks like a mile one way (big laurel falls). Is it worth the time and effort, or is it just as nice to drive down to the falls on the FS road once the hike is over? It looks like a good place for a water resupply, but at the same time it seems like a two0three hour round trip just to see a fall might be pushing it on a two night hike...
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

Quote Originally Posted by Theosus View Post
    From the south edge of the loop there is a spur trail up to a falls. It looks like a mile one way (big laurel falls). Is it worth the time and effort, or is it just as nice to drive down to the falls on the FS road once the hike is over? It looks like a good place for a water resupply, but at the same time it seems like a two0three hour round trip just to see a fall might be pushing it on a two night hike...
    ?? Is that the falls off the Timer Ridge Trail which leads up to the AT slightly south of Carter Gap Shelter? If so, it's like 2.5 miles down off the AT.

i know this is an old post but if any one has any updated info on this loop hike i would love to hear from you. My son and I are heading up there Friday. Im having trouble find info for this hike. We plan on starting at backcountry info and going clock wise.

Here is a very recent thread. I am wanting to do this loop when I can take a Friday or Monday off.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...d.php?t=113716

ccartertn

Also do a search. I have a doc from another thread that has a good spreadsheet of the mileages clockwise and counter clockwise and camping options. I'd find it but I'm on my phone right now!

ccartertn

thanks for the link. I had better luck with the search when i just used "standing indian" I didnt see the chart right off but i think I will find it as i dig deeper. Found a map right off which I couldn't find before.

Hoping to camp on or near Standing Indian Mtn this week. Anybody know the current quality of water sources near there?
    "The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail. Travel too fast and you miss all you are traveling for." - Louis L'Amour

My wife and I did this trip this past May, camping on the Standing Indian summit the first night. Our itinerary was, starting from the campground: Kimsey Creek trail to Deep Gap; AT to Standing Indian summit; camp; AT to Betty Creek Gap; camp; AT to Long Branch trail; Long Branch trail back to campground.

If you are going to camp on Standing Indian mountain, you will need to load up with water at the stream across the trail from the Standing Indian shelter as there is nothing beyond that.

I can attest to the wetness of the Kimsey Creek trail.

This is a great loop hike through the Southern Nantahala Wilderness. I hope you enjoy it.

Images

What about the spring that's just off the at at the intersection to go up to standing Indian summit?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++