WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    NY is part of New England much as Rhode Island is part of New York as far as most non-northeasterners are concerned (hint: they aren't very concerned).
    Hey! Don't bunch us Ro'Dilanders in with those Nu Yawkers! We have enough problems of our own...thank you very much!!!

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    NY is part of New England much as Rhode Island is part of New York as far as most non-northeasterners are concerned (hint: they aren't very concerned).
    I got $50 in monopoly money says you can't find Coffee Milk in NY.

For day hike the Bonds (Mount Bond, Bond Cliff, and West Bound) would be tough. Very very fit people can and do do them but for most of us they would involve an overnight somewhere (likely at Guyot campsite). Heck.. even the Presidential Range has been done as a day hike.. but that would be a fast hike and start before sunrise and end after dark. Not my cup of tea. I hike too slow to do that.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    I got $50 in monopoly money says you can't find Coffee Milk in NY.
    Will that $50 in monopoly money buy me a bottle of Autocrat? I don't see it in the stores here.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    For day hike the Bonds (Mount Bond, Bond Cliff, and West Bound) would be tough. Very very fit people can and do do them but for most of us they would involve an overnight somewhere (likely at Guyot campsite). Heck.. even the Presidential Range has been done as a day hike.. but that would be a fast hike and start before sunrise and end after dark. Not my cup of tea. I hike too slow to do that.
    This is why I love these type of sites. By that standard I am very very fit. I know it is not true. However, I gladly accept your assessment.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    This is why I love these type of sites. By that standard I am very very fit. I know it is not true. However, I gladly accept your assessment.
    Judging by the times you posted for the last 15 peaks, you are in much better shape than you admit to. I surely wouldn't do them nearly as fast.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    You are surely faster than I am. I can't sustain a 2+ mph pace over that sort of elevation change without winding up injured. Anyway, congratulations again on the 48 and the 67!
    Second the motion in all regards. a 2 mph on those rocky, usually steep trails is hoofing it. Well done, BirdBrain!
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    I may have overstated my ability. I just checked my logs. I did the Bonds from Guyot to Lincoln Woods in 6 hours (12 miles) in 2014. I thought the distance was a bit shorter than that. If you cut out the distance from the campsite to the jct to West Bond, the trip would still be about a 23 mile in and out. Unlikely I would hold 2mph for the duration. probably would be just over 12 hours for the 23 miles. Ya... that's a long day.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Default about doing the Bonds as a day hike

I may have overstated my ability. I just checked my logs. I did the Bonds from Guyot to Lincoln Woods in 6 hours (12 miles) in 2014. I thought the distance was a bit shorter than that. If you cut out the distance from the campsite to the jct to West Bond, the trip would still be about a 23 mile in and out. Unlikely I would hold 2mph for the duration. probably would be just over 12 hours for the 23 miles. Ya... that's a long day.

Birdbrain has this about right when said he overstated his ability. The bonds as a dayhike to me is rather insane.

You can get in one of three ways: via Wilderness and Bond Cliff Trails, via the North Twin Trail or from Zealand Falls Hut. I think the easiest would be from Zealand Falls. It's easy enough to tag all three peaks once you get there but you have to get there. I'm guessing it would take 12-14 hours plus. Remember.. you need a couple In hrs just from trail head to Zealand Hut. my humble opinion it would be a heck of a lot easier (and a hell of a lot more enjoyable) to do this as a back pack. Spend night at Guyot Campsite. Go to Bond or West Bond after dinner and enjoy the sunset.

Ok that Jerek dude could probably run over the peaks in a day but most of us aren't Jerek. I sure as hell ain't. Call me crazy, but to me hiking should be enjoyable, not a death march!

One of the great hikes in the whites in my view (done as a backpack) would be to come from north going over North and South Twin (360 views from South Twin!) stay night at Guyot ( hike to West Bond for sunset) and then hike out next day over Mt Bond and Bond Cliff and out to Lincoln Woods. One fly in the ointment is that Guyot camp site fills up fast on nice summer weekends.

There is another way. The Franconia Brook Trail can almost be run. 3 MPH across that to 13 Falls Tentsite is very doable. From there your only real obstacle is the wall of South Twin. Hike to Guyot Campsite and spend the night. That is 14.6 miles in. It 12 miles across the Bonds to Lincoln Woods the next day.

However, you are tempting me to be insane. I am planning a Presidential traverse for next year. I have toyed with the idea of a half Pemi loop (just the Bonds side and out by 13 Falls). Maybe I will do that now.
    Last edited by BirdBrain; 08-04-2015 at 09:50.

I am not necessarily fit but persistent. I set a slow and steady space early on, limit breaks and drink electrolyte replacements all day. I am 56 and generally my groups are mixed age. I led a one day Bonds traverse and Presi traverse in the last 6 weeks. In both cases we were darn close to book time which meant 12 plus hour days (remember book time does not include breaks) . I have my gear sorted out, someone with ill fitting gear is going to have issues if they hike 12 plus hours so there is a need to get the gear sorted out in advance by hiking in similar terrain. I also am a fair weather hiker on these hikes, they are difficult enough without the need to deal with crappy weather. The Bonds are really just a long walk while the presi is one step harder due to major increase in elevation gain (3100 feet versus 8100 feet). On both trips I had to be the "bad guy" on occasion and cut breaks short. On a nice day its real easy to spend far to much time on the summits early on in the day and it can really stretch out the overall time to do the hike. I always start early as psychologically, once the sun starts to drop down, the motivation goes with it. The Mt Washington summit circus is generally a black hole for most hikers and if they can get past it in less than an hour they are doing good. On sunny day if you want a photo next the summit sign expect a 20 to 45 minute wait in line.

For most folks I recommend breaking the presi ridge into a minimum of two day hikes, Lake of the Clouds south to Pierce one day and if you feel good after that one consider Madison to Monroe another weekend. With groups I try to spot a car at the Cog, if going southbound (the traditional direction), there are options to bail via the Jewell and the Ammo and worse case Cap ridge off of Jefferson gets you below treeline if need be and then is long walk down the Jefferson Notch road and Boundary Line trail to make it to the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    Will that $50 in monopoly money buy me a bottle of Autocrat? I don't see it in the stores here.
    The Autocrat company is just up the road in Lincoln, RI. I can get all I want!

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Images

However, you are tempting me to be insane. I am planning a Presidential traverse for next year. I have toyed with the idea of a half Pemi loop (just the Bonds side and out by 13 Falls). Maybe I will do that now.
    I have a dream of a semi-Pemi, both for the hike and to bag some peaks. Up to Guyot from LW day 1, thence to 13 Falls day 2, grabbing North Twin and Galehead en route, thence back to LW tagging Owls Head on the way. I've gotten the western Pemi peaks already. Not sure it'll happen this year. Maybe next. Depends on a lot of things.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Quote Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
    I have a dream of a semi-Pemi, both for the hike and to bag some peaks. Up to Guyot from LW day 1, thence to 13 Falls day 2, grabbing North Twin and Galehead en route, thence back to LW tagging Owls Head on the way. I've gotten the western Pemi peaks already. Not sure it'll happen this year. Maybe next. Depends on a lot of things.
    Very double plan. The walk between the Twins is about as easy as it gets. Galehead is easy too. Might as well get Zealand while you are at it. It is a bit longer walk, but not bad.

I would like to do that loop (just over the 2 Bonds and out Franconia Brook Trail) in one day.
    Last edited by BirdBrain; 08-04-2015 at 15:56.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++