WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

How about something substantial for dinner? Knorr Rice sides are cheap as hell and super easy to make. repack them in a freezer bag, add 1.5ish cups of boiling water, let sit for 5-10mins $1 for a hot meal with good amount of calories. you're not a small dude i'm sure you will want to eat more than snacks.

Instant mashed potatos are also damn cheap and super tasty if you get something like garlic flavor or something. again repack in freezer bag, follow the directions for water. $1-1.50 1 packet is pretty big and weighs very little.

i usually do

breakfast:
    oatmeal/cream of wheat, cup of hot chocolate

snacks/lunch:
    trail mix, pop tarts, granola bars, pb crackers, pringles (140cal per ounce)

dinner:
    knorr side or potatos, candy bar

Breakfast:

Meusli or granola with powdered milk. Just get a Glad twist-and-lock storage container to shake up your milk, and then add the cereal.

Second Breakfast (I like to have second breakfast about 2-3 hours after first breakfast):

Bagel with cheese, or slathered with peanut butter

Lunch:

I usually just have salty and sweet snacks for lunch. Sometimes I'll mix up some hummus and eat it with tortilla.

Supper:

I would second the idea of potatoes. But, IMO, Idahoan brand potatoes are far superior to the other brands. I like to buy pre-cooked bacon to have with the potatoes, or sometimes the foil pouches of tuna or salmon.

I also like Easy-Mac. Just take two pouches and it makes a solid main course that is easy to cook. It goes well with foil packages of tuna or salmon.

Stove-Top Stuffing accompanied by a foil package of chicken is also a nice, easy meal to cook. If you want to get fancy, throw in some Craisins.

Lipton sides are definitely a good choice.

Ramen noodles are nice if the temperature drops below 50 degrees. If it's hot outside, I hate ramen....

No stove and no fuel, so I assume you're either eating everything cold or planning to build a fire? If so, I still don't see any cookware on your list. A cheap stainless GI cup would do the trick if you're planning on cooking over fire, but keep in mind that gathering fire materials takes a lot of time and you also don't have any tinder materials on your list. Triple the problem if it's raining or has recently rained. I guess you can eat cold oatmeal but it sucks - might as well make an alcohol stove or just buy a Trangia and keep it with a small fuel bottle of denatured alcohol or Heet in the GI cup. Personally I can't feel the difference between a 25 pound pack and a 28 pound pack when it's on my back, so I wouldn't skimp on food or fire.

All that said, you'll *survive* with what you've got over three days no problem, but you might not enjoy it much without a better food setup. Don't forget some kind of cooking pot, whether it's a GI cup or something expensive. I'm a fan of the Guyot Designs 32oz water bottle since, as a true stainless steel bottle, you can use it directly on a fire or stove to boil water or cook.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++