WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Finalized Gear List: Did I miss anything?

I've been reading quite a bit and getting my gear list organized and I think I have it finished. I just need someone else to take a quick look over and see if there is anything I should add, items I should leave behind, items I should change out, etc. Thanks

Big 4:

Teton Sports Explorer 4000 (4000cu in, 5lbs)
    Sleeping bag (40 degree, 3lbs)
    Sleeping pad (?)
    Tent (3lbs)

Clothing Worn:
    Synthetic fiber shirt(x1)
    Synthetic fiber shorts(x1)
    Synthetic fiber/wool socks(x1)
    Sneakers

Clothing In Pack:
    Synthetic fiber shirt (x1)
    Synthetic fiber pants (x1)
    Synthetic fiber/wool socks(x2)
    Underwear(x1)
    Light jacket
    Beanie

Supplies:
    Map
    Phone
    Tarp
    Bandana(x2)
    Poncho
    Large trash bags(x2)
    Duct tape (10ft)
    Stuff sack (For Clothing)
    Sunscreen (Repackaged)
    First aid kit (Bandaids, neosporin, tape, guaze, tweezers, safety pins, needles)
    Flashlight w/fresh batteries
    Bic lighter(x2)
    Cotton balls w/vaseline (Fire starter)
    Hand sanitizer
    Toilet paper 20ft
    Toothbrush
    Bug spray
    Excedrin/Ibuprofen/Advil
    Pocket Knife
    Needle (draining blisters)
    Shoe strings(x2)

Food & Water:
    4 bottles of water
    Granola bars (repackaged)
    Trail mix (repackaged)
    Snack crackers
    Candy bars
    Water purification drops
    Water flavoring (Mask iodine taste)

I forgot to add this is only for a 2-3 day hike from Carvers Gap to 19E.

2-3 days: If my clothes are in good shape to start, I would only take an extra shirt for a camp shirt, the light jacket and beanie, if the pants are zip offs then I would wear them and leave the shorts at home. You only need one bandana, not sure why the tarp and a tent, one lighter, maybe 1 shoestring, but you can always use a piece of the 50ft of bear line you should have. I don't see a pack cover or liner, no cook pot so you must be cold camping, 2 water bottles should be enough and I don't think I would take spare batteries for a 3 day hike. IMHO
    "You have brains in your head/You have feet in your shoes/You can steer yourself in any direction you choose." - Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by 4Bears View Post
    not sure why the tarp and a tent
    I'm assuming it's his ground cloth.

Journal Entries
    Images

Tent n tarp?
    Jacket n poncho? (is jacket waterproof?)
    Water? Can u pick it up on the way?
    Only extra clothing i'd take: socks
    2bandanas?
    No coffee??????
    Sounds like fun!!!!!!!!
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Journal Entries
    Images

5 lbs tent? ouch,,, hope its for two.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Big 4:
    Sleeping pad (?) Blue WalMart CCF pad. Cheap and does the trick.
    Tent (3lbs)

Clothing Worn:
    Synthetic fiber shirt(x1)
    Synthetic fiber/wool socks(x1)
    Sneakers You may want to at least invest in a pair of trail runners in lieu of "sneakers".

Clothing In Pack:
    Synthetic fiber shirt (x1) Lose it.
    Synthetic fiber pants (x1) Lose it.
    Synthetic fiber/wool socks(x2)
    Synthetic fiber shorts(x1) Lose it.
    Underwear(x1)
    Light jacket
    Beanie

Supplies:
    Map
    Phone
    Tarp Lose it. Don't need a tarp and tent.
    Bandana(x2)
    Poncho Virtually useless in the highlands. Get a decent rain jacket instead. I suggest Dri Ducks or Frogg Toggs.
    Large trash bags(x2)
    Duct tape (10ft)
    Stuff sack (For Clothing)
    Sunscreen (Repackaged)
    First aid kit (Bandaids, neosporin, tape, guaze, tweezers, safety pins, needles) Lose the needles, you've got safety pins. Deplace the duct tape with a roll of Tenacious Tape.
    Flashlight w/fresh batteries Replace with headlamp. One set of batteries will be fine.
    Bic lighter(x2) You only need one.
    Cotton balls w/vaseline (Fire starter)
    Hand sanitizer
    Toilet paper 20ft
    Toothbrush
    Bug spray
    Excedrin/Ibuprofen/Advil
    Pocket Knife
    Needle (draining blisters) Lose it, you've got safety pins for that.
    Shoe strings(x2) Lose it.

Food & Water:
    4 bottles of water Lose it. You can get water along the way.
    Granola bars (repackaged) You'll need more than granola, trail mix, snack crackers and candy bars for 2-3 days. It'll work, but you need more nutrition than that.
    Trail mix (repackaged)
    Snack crackers
    Candy bars
    Water purification drops Lose it. Get Aquamira drops instead. Available online.
    Water flavoring (Mask iodine taste) Lose it.

Line for bear bagging?
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Quote Originally Posted by EricS96521 View Post
    I just need someone else to take a quick look over and see if there is anything I should add, items I should leave behind, items I should change out, etc. Thanks
    Scrolling through the list, first thing I noticed was that it seems like you're going to be packed kind of heavy. While people around here generally recommend really light shoes they usually do it with the idea that you won't be carrying too much weight.

Second, you may find that you don't actually enjoy eating nothing but snack food for 3 days.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. No bear line because ive read there are no bears around carvers gap and was just gonna sleep with my food in the tent.

The tent is actually about 7lbs (7x7) for myself and younger brother. Amazon listed the
    shipping weight as 3lbs..ugh..lol

Full weight comes to 25lbs. I wore the pack around the house and it felt great, much better than my old backpack.

Images

[QUOTE=EricS96521;1289005] No bear line because ive read there are no bears around carvers gap and was just gonna sleep with my food in the tent.QUOTE]

So....the mice, rats, racoons and possums are ok to chew into your tent and eat your food?
    GA - NJ 2001; GA - ME 2003; GA - ME 2005; GA - ME 2007; PCT 2006

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    —SPANISH PROVERB

Pardon my bluntness, but have you weighed all your gear-- piece by piece, on a scale? If you have, and your TPW is *still* only 25 lb, I'm worried that your planning something of a fast(ing) hike.

Assuming you feel you need all your clothes, etc., your reported figures make the combined weight of your pack, bag, and tent = 15 lb. "Four bottles of water"-- assuming they are 16 fl oz apiece-- would weigh another 4.2 lb, less the weight of the bottles. If your clothes, first aid, and water treatment supplies weigh (optimistically) < 2 lb, and at your brother will be carrying all his own food, you're still talking about < 5 lb of food for three days.
    "We can no longer live as rats. We know too much." -- Nicodemus

Pack = 5lbs
    Tent = 6lbs
    Sleeping bag = 3lbs
    Clothes = 1lbs
    Water = 4.2lbs
    Food = 5lbs
    Various other supplies = 1lbs

Total weight = 25lbs. I don't see what's so wrong about that weight...?

And a friend is carrying water treatment, and first aid.

Pack = 5lbs
    Tent = 6lbs
    Sleeping bag = 3lbs
    Clothes = 1lbs
    Water = 4.2lbs
    Food = 5lbs

Oh and no, I didn't weight everything piece by piece, more of a guess on some. I know the exact weight of the tent and pack, guessed at everything else but food and water.

With everything packed, my pack weighs 24.5lbs.

Not committing until I graduate! Sassafras Lass's Avatar
    Images

Pack = 5lbs
    Tent = 6lbs
    Sleeping bag = 3lbs
    Clothes = 1lbs
    Water = 4.2lbs
    Food = 5lbs

It's not so much the weight as the overpacking.

A hike of 2-3 days, I'd take half of what you're bringing. I'm going SOBO in about 2 weeks' time and my pack before food/water is around 18 lbs. - for a 5-6 month excursion. You're not going to use 10 feet of duct tape in that time, you don't need a change of clothing, don't need 2 extra pair of socks (1 will do), you can filter water along the way, etc. etc.

But this isn't the Ultralight forum - so if this works for you, go for it. If you don't know what works for you - then I'd heed our suggestions.
    Formerly 'F-Stop'

If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.

~ Dolly Parton

Just to confirm your guess, do the old-school weight test: pack up everything (even full water bottles). Weigh yourself on your bathroom scale, wearing all your hiking clothes/shoes, but without the full pack. Then put on the pack and weigh yourself again. Not as precise, but just as effective.

One more point: it all depends upon one's metabolism, pack weight, route, season, and planned mileage/pace, but generally speaking a hiker needs 1.5 - 2.0 lb of food/day.
    "We can no longer live as rats. We know too much." -- Nicodemus

well, if anything you seem stubborn enough.

what is your friend bringing for water treatment? if Aquamira then just bring 2 32oz gatorade or powerade bottles (free tasty drink for first 2 bottles of water), if they are bringing a pump then bring a 2L Nalgene Cantene soft sided bottle that screws onto the pump and 1 32oz gatorade bottle

i still don't believe your weights. my last trip with fairly light stuff and 7lb of food and 1L water my pack weighs 24lb.

when is this trip? we will need to hear the post-trip report afterward. with pictures!

For short hike I would say 1.5 lb food/day is more then enough.
    Plus I would take some sun glasses and a pea less whistle (useful if you get in trouble).

Quote Originally Posted by Sassafras Lass View Post
    It's not so much the weight as the overpacking.

A hike of 2-3 days, I'd take half of what you're bringing. I'm going SOBO in about 2 weeks' time and my pack before food/water is around 18 lbs. - for a 5-6 month excursion. You're not going to use 10 feet of duct tape in that time, you don't need a change of clothing, don't need 2 extra pair of socks (1 will do), you can filter water along the way, etc. etc.

But this isn't the Ultralight forum - so if this works for you, go for it. If you don't know what works for you - then I'd heed our suggestions.
    I followed a lot of people's advice and have cut back a lot on what I am bringing, but I would still like to be comfortable, even if that means a little extra weight. Thank you very much for the advice

Quote Originally Posted by RodentWhisperer View Post
    Just to confirm your guess, do the old-school weight test: pack up everything (even full water bottles). Weigh yourself on your bathroom scale, wearing all your hiking clothes/shoes, but without the full pack. Then put on the pack and weigh yourself again. Not as precise, but just as effective.

One more point: it all depends upon one's metabolism, pack weight, route, season, and planned mileage/pace, but generally speaking a hiker needs 1.5 - 2.0 lb of food/day.
    This is how I got my pack weight. Loaded it all up and weighed myself with and without it.

Quote Originally Posted by jakedatc View Post
    well, if anything you seem stubborn enough.

what is your friend bringing for water treatment? if Aquamira then just bring 2 32oz gatorade or powerade bottles (free tasty drink for first 2 bottles of water), if they are bringing a pump then bring a 2L Nalgene Cantene soft sided bottle that screws onto the pump and 1 32oz gatorade bottle

i still don't believe your weights. my last trip with fairly light stuff and 7lb of food and 1L water my pack weighs 24lb.

when is this trip? we will need to hear the post-trip report afterward. with pictures!
    I know my friend has water tablets from walmart, how well they work, how it tastes, etc, I have no clue. I haven't had time to test them yet.

And I will definitely be taking a lot of photos and will post a report when I get back if you are still interested.

Thanks a lot!

And this is the updated gear list

Main gear:

Tent (3lbs)

Clothing In Pack:
    Shirt
    Shorts
    Socks (x2)
    Underwear(x1)
    Light jacket
    Beanie

Supplies:
    Map
    Phone
    Bandanna
    Poncho
    Trash Bag(x2)
    Duct Tape
    Sunscreen
    Lighter
    Hand sanitizer
    Toilet paper
    Wet wipes
    Bug spray
    Toothbrush/toothpaste
    Shoe string
    Flash light
    Aspirin/Ibuprofen

Water:
    4 16.9oz bottles of water
    Water purification tablets
    Water flavoring

As far as food goes, I'm still a little unsure but I have been reading for ideas.

So far I'm thinking:
    Trail mix
    Granola bars
    Instant oatmeal
    Snack crackers
    cookies
    peanut m&m's

Hot chocolate

It seems like a little too much 'junk' food, definitely need opinions on the food.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++