Thread: Watch Straps

Default Watch Straps

Good day,

My name is John Reynolds. My son, Ed Reynolds, disappeared three years ago while tramping in New Zealand’s Nelson Lakes Park on the south island.

Ed thru-hiked the AT in 2006. His trail handle was Fireman. We think he got this name because, when he started his hike, he was so out of shape that he stopped in the first shelter right after lunch, and always had a fire going when the others arrived later in the day.

In 2008 he hiked the Pacific Crest Trail.

Ed was a very funny guy, great sense of humor. Here are links to a couple of videos posted on U Tube:

The Crossing Appalachian Trail 2006: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rr0OL...eature=related

The Lizard Pacific Crest Trail 2008: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pV6YFoaEDsk

We attended the inquest into his probable death in Nelson New Zealand on the 4th of April. At the inquest, a question arose concerning the probability of a strapless watch found on the St James Walkway belonging to Ed. We know that Ed cut the straps off of his watch, as we saw him do it before he left for New Zealand, saying it was to save weight.

The New Zealand police think the watch was dropped by another tramper.

Here is a link to a news article reporting the finding of the watch: http://www.stuff.co.nz/nelson-mail/n...d-may-be-vital

I have been making inquiries of other hikers/trampers to find out if others typically remove their watch straps, to save weight, or for any other reason.

If we can't contact/locate others who have removed their watch straps, then we can make an argument to the police that the found watch without straps was probably not dropped by another tramper, since we couldn't find or contact anyone else in the tramper/hiker community who has done this, ergo it must be Ed's watch. Either he dropped it or somebody else dropped it.

Thus I pose the following questions:

1. Have any of you removed the straps from your watch?

2. Have you ever heard of anyone removing the straps from their watch to save weight, or any other reason? If so can you provide contact information for that person?

Any assistance you can provide will be much appreciated.

Kind regards, Nga mihi

I hiked the PCT the same year, 2008, but I didn't know Ed, nor the other fellow in that video. Folks are strung out all along the trail, easy to hike in the same year and not have heard of many others who are out there.

I personally have never cut off a watch band, because I like having it on my wrist on the trail --- and I'm a person who normally keeps my watch in my pocket when not on trail.
    I've hiked three long distance trails now and can't recall seeing anyone who did this. Doesn't mean that folks that I knew didn't do so, just that I didn't notice. It's not something I'd likely notice unless my attention was explicitly drawn to it.

I'm a little skeptical that any but a real gram counter would do this just for weight; perhaps more likely is if the person just doesn't care to wear it on their wrist, then why not take the straps off to save weight and perhaps make it fit in a particular pocket more easily? I don't do this with my watch at home (which is in my pocket as I'm typing this), because it's easier to find in my pocket with the band still on, and because infrequently I do want to wear it on my wrist. But if I preferred to hike with my watch in a pocket then I might well do so.

I think that most typical is that people wear their watch as a watch, on their wrist.

As a parent myself, I can't begin to say anything meaningful about your loss except --- wow, I just can't imagine. I wish you the very best in finding out whatever you possibly can.
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

Images

John, make sure you subscribe to your threads so that you're notified of responses, and so that they're easier for you to find again at a later date.

Updated link to a news article reporting the finding of the watch: http://www.stuff.co.nz/nelson-mail/n...d-may-be-vital

Kia ora John,
    I am sorry to hear of your loss and understand your question.

I have for years cut the straps off the watch I use for hiking, mainly for convenience and a bit of weight saving. I just find it easier to carry this way with a short piece of line attached.

As for your second question, no I do not know of anyone who also does this. My own experience with lightweight/ultralight hiking in NZ is that this style of hiking here is still relatively new, and so it may seem a bit odd or unusual for some folks to even consider a hiker carrying a watch without the straps attached.

I hope you are able to find the answers you seek and if you have any other questions feel free to get in touch.
    Ka aroha ki a koutou katoa.

I also posted a link to your thread over at the Te Araroa Facebook page, in the off chance that someone who has experience hiking here will reply. Te Araroa goes through the area where your son was hiking. There's a really good group of people who regularly post there. Here's the link for their FB page: https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/26638669574/

Hello John,
    So sorry to hear of the loss of your son.
    I would have thought it uncommon for someone to remove their watchstrap in the quest for lightness. Particularly here in NZ. As Singing Wind commented, the ultra lightweight style of hiking doesn't seem to have the popularity here that it does in the US or UK. Though having said that, some folk may well carry watches just because they don't like wearing a watch at any time and I do know of some who don't wear a watch as they rely on their cellphone's clock, so I guess maybe someone like that could well carry a strapless watch when hiking out of cell range, as the strap would be redundant. If the watch found was the same model as Ed's then that must carry some weight though.
    My very best wishes for an eventual resolution.

Images

Good morning, John. So sorry for your loss, and the lack of any real answers about your son. As a parent, that's the most agonizing part.

In the "real" world I don't carry a watch at all, but I like to wear one on the trail. On my wrist, with a Velcro watch band and a tiny compass. I've never met or talked to a hiker who cut off his or her watchband to save weight.

Good luck and many sincere condolences.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Default Watch Straps

Kia ora John,
    Three hikers replied over on the TA Facebook page, one saying he "wasn't wearing a watch on the South Island," one saying "I have never removed watch straps for hiking and know of no one who has/does", and another saying "Sorry never heard of anyone doing this, I don't like to wear my watch on my wrist so I usualy hang it off my pack or shirt when hiking."

These comments were all posted earlier in the week so I don't expect any more comments. Have you checked out the web site tramper.co.nz as well? Maybe they can offer some insights and feedback to your questions.

I sincerely hope everything comes out in the best possible way for you and your family.

Sorry about your son.

I can remember a time or two posters mentioning taking the watch band off. I could not specifically recall the hiker so I searched. Panzer1 has stated that he hikes without his strap. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/arch...hp/t-8220.html

Turtle2 has stated this as well.
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/arch...p/t-46942.html

Given that people saw off toothbrushes and remove many extraneous straps on packs, my opinion is that the removal of a watch band for weight savings is not unique. Although more often what people say is they simply don't carry a watch.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

++ New Posts ++