WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Trip planning help - Mass

New backpacker here. I would like to hike from the Mass/Conn border through Mass into Vermont in late June. Could anyone give any advice? Starting and ending points? Resupply points? How long will it take, for an average hiker? I'm in good condition and will have a reasonably light pack.

Thanks!

Images

Lyme disease is present in this section and there are lots of ticks early this year.
    Treat clothing, boots and the tops of socks with permethrin. Wear long pants preferably light colored so you can see ticks. Read up on Lyme and deer ticks.

There may be black flies or mosquitos, so carry DEET and a headnet. If you're lucky you won't need them often.

The weather can vary from hot and humid to wet and cold, but is often beautiful. Be prepared for a 45 degree rain and if you're lucky you'll have 75F and sunny every day.

Don't skip the northern couple of miles in Conn.

Images

both borders are in the middle of the woods, so you either have to start already in MA, or from in CT, and likewise end either go a good ways into VT (depending on if you're able to get extracted from a dirt road or are willing to double back, nearest paved road is over 14 or so miles in) or end at north adams MA, a few miles short of the border.

i'd definitely start in salisbury and hit those last few miles of CT and into MA. the northern few miles between north adams and vt on the other hand... ehh

Images

Dalton easy place for resupply & hostel right on trail. North Adams also a good resupply if you go further into VT. Many other places close to trail to grab a meal or some supplies. Rt 9 in VT is an easy hitch into Bennington with bus service or further up to Vt 11 & 30 and hitch into Manchester Center.
    Last edited by Mountain Mike; 05-12-2012 at 20:54.

Thanks, Snowleopard, tdoczi, and Mountain Mike. Those are all good tips.

Do you have a feel for how many days should I budget?

Images

From Route 41 in Salisbury CT to Route 9 in VT is about 112 miles with the last 14 miles being in VT. The MA/VT border is in the middle of the woods about 4+ miles from North Adams. This link should help with the distances.
    http://www.atdist.com/ I really enjoy the first 14 miles of VT (not the mention the rest of VT). If you want to shorten this a bit there is a forest road not too far from the Seth Warner shelter but I'm not sure if it's north or south of the shelter.

Images

if youre not opposed to hiking 20 miles a day its easy to do so across most of MA and IMO you wont be missing anything by hiking it quickly. 6 days, 7 tops if you do salisbury to bennington. 1 less if you stop at north adams.

Good parking site in North Adams near the Trail. Less so at Rt 9 for extended periods. Not sure of the condition of County Rt in VT, just north of Seth Warner shelter. I would not leave a vehicle there for an extended period, even if the road is passable.

Last Saturday (May 12th) the blackflies at the VT border were tolerable, many hovering around, but no biters. We've had plenty of rain in the past month, so no worries about water supplies at overnight sites. 6-7 days is quite doable.

Cosmo

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    if youre not opposed to hiking 20 miles a day its easy to do so across most of MA and IMO you wont be missing anything by hiking it quickly. 6 days, 7 tops if you do salisbury to bennington. 1 less if you stop at north adams.

I'm looking to do this hike this spring. lots of good information hear. can I just camp along the trail in small tent, or is there certan areas you can and can't?

Quote Originally Posted by Pheeny View Post
    I'm looking to do this hike this spring. lots of good information hear. can I just camp along the trail in small tent, or is there certan areas you can and can't?
    Hi Pheeny,
    In Mass (and CT) you must camp in designated campsites/shelters. There are plenty, typically less than 7 miles apart, often closer. In the spring (except for Memorial Day weekend, if the weather is nice) you should not have any problems finding space. Depending on how early in spring you go and the temps, expect a bit of mud (typically April/May), some blackflies (typically in early June), and some blowdowns (we'll have them cleared before the end of May). Water will be plentiful at all sites.

Upper Goose Pond Cabin will be opening on May 19th this year. A bit cold for swimming at that time, but still a nice spot. If you are planning to come earlier, there are tent sites--or you can sleep on the porch.

Have a great trip,

Cosmo

A few random thoughts:

1. If you're really set on border-to-border hiking, you can access the CT/MA border by hiking up the Untermountain Trail from Rt. 41, connecting to the Paradise LaneTrail which will take you within a mile of Sages Ravine and the border.

2. The parking in North Adams referred to by Cosmo is at the Greylock Community Club, phone no. 413-664-9020. You'll have to check in with them and leave your contact info. Parking is safe and free.

3. Personally I wouldn't hike CT & MA in June but if that's your schedule, then it's better than not hiking! I hiked most of it in October except for the southern half of MA which I hiked in April and actually had warm sunny Spring weather - lucky I know.

I hiked this exact section with a friend last July. We live in VT and had finished the Long Trail, so our goal was to hike all of MA and end at the trailhead for the Pine Cobble trail, the same point where our Long Trail hikes ended. As Cosmo mentioned, the parking at the Greylock Community Club is great and super easy. They're nice people and very accommodating for hikers. My husband dropped us off at the south end of the hike and it was a bit of adventure finding the trailhead since we took several side roads. We started at the Bear Mountain Rd. trailhead and hiked into Bear Mountain (highest point in CT) which is right on the CT/MA border.

The hike took us 6 nights and looked like this:

Day 1: Bear Mtn. trailhead to Glen Brook Shelter - 9.2 miles
    Day 2: Glen Brook Shelter to Tom Leonard Shelter - 14.3 miles
    Day 3: Tom Leonard Shelter to Upper Goose Pond Cabin - 21.1 miles
    Day 4: Upper Goose Pond Cabin to the Cookie Lady's Home - 11.1 miles
    Day 5: Cookie Lady's Home to Crystal Mountain Campsite - 13.7 miles
    Day 6: Crystal Mountain Campsite to Bascom Lodge (Mt. Greylock) - 13 miles
    Day 7: Mt. Greylock to Pine Cobble trailhead and return to our car in Williamstown - 11.8 miles

I would definitely recommend a stop at Upper Goose Pond Cabin, the Cookie Lady's (we camped in our yard and she and her husband were really lovely people) and Bascom Lodge. Our biggest problem was super hot weather and lack of water (completely dried up water source at Crystal Mtn. Campsite) but you shouldn't have to worry about that earlier in the summer. Bascom Lodge was an unexpected treat; it's a great historic lodge at the top of Mt. Greylock and you can stay in one of their bunkrooms for $35/person. We were outrunning a major thunderstorm on that day and were so grateful to be in a dry place with hot showers after 5 nights on the trail. At the very least, stop in there for a burger or cup of coffee.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

www.trailjournals.com/LadyGrey

Thanks for the info I'v gone up bear Mt. last year and did some camping at graylock. You are right about the lodge up on top nice place. Sounds like early Spring would be the time to go. Ha vtdeb have you gone up the hellbrook trail on Mansfeild I did by mistake last year looked a lot shorter than the long trail up the Mt. OOPS. I came back down the long trail and then 1.5 mi. to my trukc parked at the trail head. Live and learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowleopard View Post
    Lyme disease is present in this section and there are lots of ticks early this year.
    Treat clothing, boots and the tops of socks with permethrin. Wear long pants preferably light colored so you can see ticks. Read up on Lyme and deer ticks.

There may be black flies or mosquitos, so carry DEET and a headnet. If you're lucky you won't need them often.

The weather can vary from hot and humid to wet and cold, but is often beautiful. Be prepared for a 45 degree rain and if you're lucky you'll have 75F and sunny every day.

Don't skip the northern couple of miles in Conn.
    And tuck your pants into your socks if you're concerned about ticks. There are mosquito netting long pants that you can wear over shorts that will be cooler than long solid fabric pants and you can treat them with permethrin and tuck them into your socks. It looks goof - er - unconventional, but it works.

They are available at Campmor and other places. The nylon ones are generally more durable than the polyester.
    Last edited by Tinker; 01-18-2013 at 22:08.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Pheeny, I don't live too far from Mt. Mansfield and have been hiking on its trails since I moved to VT in 1984. The Long Trail off the Chin is steep enough for me so can only imagine how steep the Hell Brook Trail must be! I generally go up from the Underhill State Park (west) side of the mountain and Sunset Ridge Trail is my favorite.

You didn't mention if you need public transportation or parking/shuttle. A few miles south of the VT border, Williamstown (next to North Adams) has a greyhound station (actually the Peter Pan Bus Line who is a Greyhound partner that can take you to Logan Airport in Boston or connect you to anyplace else you need to go via Greyhound).

Looked into peter pan that looks good for me to get back home. thanks for the tip Miner. I'm verry exited about my hike. The wife not so much. Some of them just don't get it.

I'm looking to upgrade my gear backpack and tent any thing I should stay away from? 2 person tent and a good hiking backpack I'll be taking all the gear I will need on this trip. I have seen a lot of things on Ebay. A littel derection would be helpfull.

I'd start a little inside connect. Sages Ravine is beautiful and you literally cross it to get into Mass. I was there this May (mid to late) and it was beautiful. Didn't even have an insulation layer. Carried running shorts and a t shirt for camp clothes and mid weight underwear top and bottom if i needed them which was almost never. It was so damn hot towards the end but last winter was so much more mild. right now its 18 degrees in nyc. Mass is pretty wet and swampy and not the most difficult state for any type of hiker. Be careful going down steep rock faces on some of the mountains, if wet they are very dangerous and a fall would hurt. Two words. Tom Levardi. It will be a little early in thru hiker season and he will treat you like a king if you give him respect and listen to his rules. He's in Dalton. DO NOT PRESUME ON THIS MAN! He should not be taken advantage of or counted on to help you, it is out of the shear goodness of his heart that he does ANYTHING for hikers but he is not OBLIGATED. The beginning parts of vermont are spectacular. In Late May, it was getting buggy so definitely bring some bug protection. Ticks are always a possibility but i hiked in shorts the whole time and surprisingly didn't get a tick. This was pure luck. Always check regularly for ticks. Congdon shelter to Goddard Shelter is a great hike, with Goddard being a great shelter with a beautiful view, and porch. I stayed at kid gore just to get a few more miles in north. Its a nice shelter too but not as new. The Glastonbury wilderness is great and beautiful. The Greens really are spectacular. Manchester Center is where I got off. Long term resupply is easy there!
    Gradual Change You Can Believe in.

Live deliberately.

Quote Originally Posted by Pheeny View Post
    I'm looking to upgrade my gear backpack and tent any thing I should stay away from? 2 person tent and a good hiking backpack I'll be taking all the gear I will need on this trip. I have seen a lot of things on Ebay. A littel derection would be helpfull.

Unless you are SURE you will be hiking with two people, having a two person tent is not necessarily good for you. They tend to be very heavy unless going for the super ultralight ones like found on Zpacks and other cottage shops. When I started out I had a 85 liter backpack (5 lbs hahahaha) a 3 lbs synthetic 20 degree bag and an REI 2 persom dome tent (around 5 lbs as well) Being 6' 6'' I thought I'd need the extra room to fit me and my pack. Nope. More than enough room if I am going solo. Which i usually am. So now I have a single person shelter, a pack under 3 lbs and a 35 degree down bag ive used to the low 20s with the right clothing system. The only reason I was able to make these changes was with experience. I kept researching, would buy the gear, test it, and if it worked, kept it. Do you thang playa!

If you need any help feel free to PM me.
    Gradual Change You Can Believe in.

Live deliberately.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++