WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I will be doing this section hike in August....I plan on leaving the car at the Greylock community center...my question is, transportation-wise, what is the best way to get to the MA/CT border?

Dave Ackerson would be my first choice for a shuttle. Also check ATC shuttle list for more names.

Cosmo

This is likley a good thread to post an update on the parking situation at Greylock Community Club. It's a no go, at least at this time. I called them about spotting my car there for a section hike this month. They said at this time they are not allowing AT hiker parking. Something about renovating the lot and she mentioned neighbors too. Not sure if there was an issue last year or what. David Ackerson, who provides AT shuttle services in the area, has been very helpful and is working with one of the councilmen in town to identify a suitable spot near the GCC. I may park at the Pattinson Road trailhead near the water treatment plant. I asked the N. Adams PD about activity here. They said there had been intermittent incidents but also suggested contacting them if and when I parked there and send them plate numbers and likely itinerary. David also offered to let me park on his property but this means finding a ride over when we come off trail Not too onerous but I think I'll take the chance on Pattinson road unless you all advise otherwise . Cheers. I'm starting out on April 27 from Jug End Road and ending at Rte 2 on May 4 or 5.

Yup, Greylock Club does not have space for AT parking this season, their neighbor is updating their parking lot (where club patrons used to be able to park). At present, we're looking at an area across the street from the Club as a parking area for this season. If it's a go, things should be ready by early June.

Pattinson seems a bit sketchy for more than a day or two for me. It's dark, infrequently travelled. I'd take Dave's offer. There are cabs you can call to take you to back to Dave's (no Uber out here in the sticks, yet).

Cosmo

There was a post on WB last week that the AT Parking at the Greylock Community Club is temp. closed due to some construction nearby. Parking may be avail in June.
    When open, they ask for a donation to help with community activities. Riga shelter in CT has some great views. Limestone Spring Shelter is 1/2 mile of AT downhill with a bear box/tent platforms/privy & a water pipe right behind the shelter

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post

Pattinson seems a bit sketchy for more than a day or two for me. It's dark, infrequently travelled. I'd take Dave's offer. There are cabs you can call to take you to back to Dave's (no Uber out here in the sticks, yet).

Cosmo
    Good tips...exactly the info I was hoping for. Thank you.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++