WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Cheap lodgings in Gatlinburg other than Gran Prix

I was reading the tripadvisor reviews and one of them mentioned drug dealers hanging out there. And the fact its 82 out of 91 (bottom 10%), and no longer has the selling point of being next to Happy Hiker is really putting me off staying there.
    I notice they have a shuttle too but $1/mile/hiker doesn't seem like such a bargain when there's a $5 bus going by 4-5 times/day.

What I'm looking for:
    $70 or less for a shared room
    Laundry machines on site
    Clean
    Close to something like a good restaraunt, grocery store or transportation.
    Bonus points for free hot breakfast.

Drug dealers hanging out at the Gran Prix? Hard to belive since the managment is hard core Christians. When I stayed there last spring, I meet some drug crazed hikers, but no dealers

Anyway, to answer your question, the hotel across the street gave me a good price a couple years ago (There was no one at the Grand Prix office, since it was a Sunday and they don't like to work on Sundays - great way to run a motel!) I forget the name, Family something or other. Nice room, bath tub big enough to soak in, heated indoor pool, etc. I also forget the price, but it was less then $50, although it was off season, early spring.

I think the price of a room will depend a lot on the time of year. As you get into prime tourist season or a Friday/Sat night, prices will be higher. There are only something like 100,000 rooms for rent in the Gatlinburg area, so it shouldn't be too hard to find a place to stay.

There are no grocery stores in Gatlinburg proper. There is a bus which will take you to one out on the very edge of town. Took us about 3 hours round trip. Resturants are not a problem almost as many of those as hotel rooms! I recommend the Smokey Mountain Brewery - great micro brewery beers and steaks. Just don't look at the prices!
    Last edited by Slo-go'en; 05-09-2012 at 16:37.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I was at the Grand Prix 3 weeks ago for 2 nights. I didn't have any problems with it. Didn't see any drug dealers there. The bus is 50 cents, not $5. I took bus to center of town and shopped/ate/walked back. They are hard core religous so try not to be there on a Sunday otherwise you might have problems. I'd stay there again if I was in Gatlinburg.

Quote Originally Posted by MJW155 View Post
    The bus is 50 cents, not $5. I took bus to center of town and shopped/ate/walked back.
    This is the bus I was referring to, not the G'burg trolley.
    http://www.cherokeetransit.com/shuttle_to_tenn.htm

Are you sure the reviewers weren't mistaking Hiker Trash for drug dealers based on appearance and perhaps a few indulging in use? Though a few hikers may in fact be dealers. On my PCT thru-hike, I was not surprised by some hikers being heavy pot smokers. But I was surprised by encountering 2 different peoplewho'd jump ahead and hike south inorder to raise some hiking funds by dealing to other hikers. Though I shouldn't have been. The hiker community is just a reflection of the greater population.

I dunno, wasn't there, but that would be a likely explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by Miner View Post
    Are you sure the reviewers weren't mistaking Hiker Trash for drug dealers based on appearance and perhaps a few indulging in use? Though a few hikers may in fact be dealers. On my PCT thru-hike, I was not surprised by some hikers being heavy pot smokers. But I was surprised by encountering 2 different peoplewho'd jump ahead and hike south inorder to raise some hiking funds by dealing to other hikers. Though I shouldn't have been. The hiker community is just a reflection of the greater population.
    Yea, to be worried about drugs is just asinine. If you are that worried, you shouldn't be hiking in the first place b/c so many hikers smoke pot. The Grand Prix is fine.

I don't worry about drugs, however dealers have a way of shooting each other. Plus at least one review mentioned bedbugs and several times the customer wasn't able to change out of a filthy room due to a "No Refunds" policy. I wouldn't mind taking a chance on it, but because the manager/whoever is not willing to accommodate legitimate customer complaints, I don't see a reason to give them my business out of some tradition of being the "hiker's hotel".

Images

Don't forget to catch breakfast at Bennetts barbecue. that's my favorite place to eat breakfast

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2
    ---Where ever you go
    There you are---

Anybody have an actual hotel recommendation?

I recently stayed at the Grand Prix during my Springer to Damascus hike and loved it....no drug dealer sightings to report....no shootings,stabbings, molestation or general mayhem. The folks there are very hiker friendly and the price is great at $30. There is a hotel right behind the Grand Prix that is a definite step up in quality and price but is still within your price range. Sorry I can't recall the name of it. Frankly, I'd stay at the Grand Prix.

The Cat in the Hat

One of the motels behind the Grand Prix is a Motel Six...
    "You don't have to think fast if you move slow" Red Green

Yeah the GRAND PRIX, i stayed there on my thru-hike in 2006 and i stayed there again this year when i went thru, Awsome place Awsome people i can't say enough good things about the GRAND PRIX and besides its only 40 dollars a night. and if you can't deal with a few bed bugs how are you going to deal with the Mice, Ants, spiders, snakes and all the other creepy crawlers on the A.T. RED-DOG P.S ( Burn Rubber Not Your Soul )

Alright Gran Prix it is. HAve to go ahead, and make up my mind, sending a maildrop ( I know its not necessary, but good practice for JMT).

Images

It seems like a lot of hikers are stopping in Gatlinburg.I don't know when this started because it is not a hiker town.Back when I was hiking a lot in the 80's no one hardly knew of G'burg.Stock and carry enough food to get to Davenport Gap.It seems like now no one wants to carry more than 3 days of food and they just hike from hostel to hostel with their 20lb packs.Years ago hikers had to carry more food because there was not a resupply option every 30-40 miles,and now everybody&their brother run shuttle services.A lot has changed in the last 10 years.Local people finally figured out that hikers=money....

Virginia Tortoise

When I sectioned this area in 1999 I wasn't planning on stopping in Gatlinburg. However, I hit a 22 inch snow fall at Double Springs Shelter. Had to go over Clingmans in this mess. I was exhausted when I got to the Mt. Collins shelter. The next day I decided to go to Gatlinburg and take a day off. It helped both mentally and physically. I stayed at a motel there called the Stony Brook. I remember it as being reasonably priced. And they did my wash for me for a small fee.

Virginia Tortoise

Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    When I sectioned this area in 1999 I wasn't planning on stopping in Gatlinburg. However, I hit a 22 inch snow fall at Double Springs Shelter. Had to go over Clingmans in this mess. I was exhausted when I got to the Mt. Collins shelter. The next day I decided to go to Gatlinburg and take a day off. It helped both mentally and physically. I stayed at a motel there called the Stony Brook. I remember it as being reasonably priced. And they did my wash for me for a small fee.
    Sorry, I just did a search for this motel and found out on

http://thegreatsmokeymountainsparkwa...g/glstbrkm.htm

that this motel closed in 2009.

Hotwire.com is your friend. I got a '2-star' (clean, very large room, nice swimming pool, fridge) room one block from the main drag last week for $30. plus tax.

Quote Originally Posted by Skid. View Post
    Hotwire.com is your friend. I got a '2-star' (clean, very large room, nice swimming pool, fridge) room one block from the main drag last week for $30. plus tax.
    Forgot to mention, this place was four blocks from the Gran Prix, and this was a weekday. Weekends can be $$$$!

Back from my trip. Gran Prix wasn't bad. Perfect? no, but for $30 +tax, I can't complain. Room was clean. Decor was dated (TV old as well) and rooms were dark whenever blinds/curtains were closed. Laundry room was very nice (practically new), lobby was OK but had computer, free coffee (not that great) and donuts (stale) and a couple of big hiker boxes (took some, left some). Close enough to Sugarlands VC that you can walk (~1.5-2 miles). Took the Cherokee transit bus back to NF Gap the next day, after 3 more days my wife's knees were going out so we hiked out at Cades Cove and went back to GP then to get our car.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++