WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Waterproof shoes are fine for short duration hikes. In hot weather they will make your feet warmer than breathable shoes, which can increase the possibility of blisters. Nearly all long distance hikers I know use breathable low topped shoes. For rainy weather of a day or two, you can wear waterproof socks inside the shoes and achieve the same results as waterproof footwear, with the advantage that you can appreciate the ventilation of your shoes on warmer days without the waterproof socks (also, waterproof membranes in footwear eventually get contaminated with body oils and salt from sweat, and will begin to leak. They are also subject to extreme wear, unlike a jacket or pants, and once worn out, not only leak, but still cause your feet to sweat). Waterproof socks can be easily laundered and replaced when worn.
    Hey Tinker, this is a waterproof shoe. .>>

Review-Merrell-Siren-Sport-Gore-Tex-XCR-Shoes.jpg

They are vented from front to back with an open mesh. They do not get hot. A huge difference from waterproof lets say five years ago and even these Merrel's pictured are most likely are about to disappear. When soaking wet they don't retain water.

I simply read your post and I think you are talking about a different product.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    Gortex will fail. If you rarely hike, maybe only the big vacation, Goretex is wonderful stuff. Love it.

I want my trail shoes to keep sand out and to drain well: shortie stretch gaiters help with sand.

If you expect frequent water crossings or muddy trail, water shoes begin to make sense. I carry water shoes and use them as camp shoes as well.

For even moderate exertion rain pants get sweaty. That is why I use rain chaps or long gaiters, especially if the "rain" is from wet brush. Others use a rain shirt or rain wrap, but I want my knees out of the rain.

I like a poncho, if no strong wind.
    Great entry Connie!

This took me a bit to understand this topic as I really LOVE my Gortex boots (heavy) and my various style hiking Gortex shoes. I've hiked in the Appalachians, Rockies, northern Canada, etc. - but I've never hiked more than a couple weeks and ALWAYS with the ability to get out of bad weather and/or swap out shoes at times.

It took me some digging, and understanding from those with real long hiking experience that waterproof shoes is NOT the way to go in any duration hiking in potentially wet weather (the A.T.!). I type this for people like ME who are looking for an answer.

I have NOT found "two schools of thought" on this at all. People with experience have guided my planning to a shoe/boot such as the Merrell Moab Ventilators (NO Gortex model) because they dry very quickly and hold up rather well. I even like the MID-height option in that shoe to give me some ankle support (I broke my leg last year, and want that slight height advantage). This particular shoe is only 2lbs. for the pair so they are relatively light for what they offer.

As Connie stated though, I do love my Gortex models for day hikes, puddle jumping or getting back and forth in suburbia.

Quote Originally Posted by Winds View Post
    Great entry Connie!
    I have NOT found "two schools of thought" on this at all. People with experience have guided my planning to a shoe/boot such as the Merrell Moab Ventilators (NO Gortex model) because they dry very quickly and hold up rather well. I even like the MID-height option in that shoe to give me some ankle support (I broke my leg last year, and want that slight height advantage). This particular shoe is only 2lbs. for the pair so they are relatively light for what they offer.
    I love the Merrell Moab Ventilators. They aren't the fastest drying drying shoes I've worn, that goes to the Salomon XA PRO 3D ultra. The moabs have some extra cushion in the tongue that takes longer to dry. But when it comes to mileage the moabs beat every other trail runner I've worn hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by Winds View Post
    Great entry Connie!
    As Connie stated though, I do love my Gortex models for day hikes, puddle jumping or getting back and forth in suburbia.
    Don't forget winter hiking.

Achilles is on the trail now with the Merrell Moab Ventilators and gore-tex socks for cold wet days. He is very happy with the combination. Be forewarned though that you will likely go through 3-4 pairs of the shoes and 2-3 of the socks on an AT thru, judging by his experience.

I second the breathable shoe, with goretex socks for warmth if needed. (check out sealskinz).

A really breathable shoe, with lightweight socks dries very quick even wearing them through a creek crossing. Goretex shoes weigh more and take longer to dry, first step you take in a 3-4 inch puddle and your feet will be wet all day.

Whats over the next hill? Pioneer Spirit's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I've had a few pairs of 100% waterproof shoes and they remain 100% waterproof as long as you keep them 100% away from water.One brand new pair of goretex boots wet my feet walking several yards through dew covered grass.I must say that the only blisters I got was after my feet got wet. Water hampers the free movements of socks to feet and blisters can develop in odd places.Since I am a size 12, I'm near Max stretch of socks so I don't have an option with being able to wear two pair.
    Of course that's my opinion and I could be wrong.
    Buckeye Trail 2,700 miler.

My approach is lycra (nylon and spandex) socks, quasi-sandle-shoes that are not water proof but that don't absorb water and in winter 100% water proof latex over socks.

This is good information as I have zero clue to waterproof socks and such.
    People write about throwing a bread bag on, but I don't think that will work for me.

Eventually I wish to nail down a complete foot strategy.

Default Waterproof vs non waterproof boots

Quote Originally Posted by EAsprts26 View Post
    Yes this is for a thru hike, and after much consideration I think I am gonna go with the Brooks Cascadias...I ran cross country for 6 years and my favorite most comfortable running shoes were by far the Brooks ones. I think ill get those and maybe some insoles for cushion...as far as hurting my feet...I always have super calluses and my feet can take a real beating without injury.

This will be my first time stepping away from the age old Boy Scout idealism of the super boot. I feel like I was lied to growing up in scouting haha! But I was a backpacking guide for two summers in Southwest New Mexico and I learned to change my entire outlook on gear.

I have aver been to Philmont 3 times with waterproof boots and the heat always seemed to form blisters. Went to Northern Tier last summer with non waterproof boots and loved them. Wondering if those would work at Philmont. (Going again this summer) It seems that the heat can escape through the vents and prevent blisters or hot spots. What do you think?

I wore a pair of Cascadias last Thursday/Friday at Mount Rogers. The trail was a complete swamp on Thursday with all the runoff from the snow melt, then froze solid that night (about 10* overnight) and the walk out Friday was a mix of ice, snow, and creeks that weren't supposed to exist. My feet frequently got wet from the crossings but always dried soon afterwards. The cold temperatures weren't a problem because I was constantly moving around. All in all, I came away with a new appreciation for trail runners in winter conditions. I still wouldn't wear them when deep snow was likely, but for most everything else they're perfectly fine. No blisters whatsoever despite the water crossings because the shoes dried so fast.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++