WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default REI Flash 50 or 65: is the 50 enough for a longer term thru hike?

The only difference (besides the capacity) I could find was the side mesh bottle holders: the 65 has two separate ones while the 50 mesh holders are integral parts of the larger wet-pocket. This might be an issue when the pack is fully filled: you may not be able to fit bottles into the mesh on the 50. You're less likely able to get your bottle in/out while hiking with the 50, more likely with the 65. I'm not really a bladder-tube-feeder, so bottle access is a more important feature.

I'm able to pack the 50 with my gear and a bear canister placed vertically at the top. The 65 easily holds the canister horizontally and has some room to spare. My weight measurements indicate a 1/2 pound difference between the backpacks.

I've seen plenty of posts about using a 65 on a thru hike, but none for the 50. Is the 50 is sufficient size for a thru hike? I know the UL answer (sure it is), but has anyone used it on a thru?

Thanks for any input. I'm enjoying all the info on this board. I follow the new posts daily now. I'm working up a Tahoe Rim Trail hike with some other old guys....JMT is further out.

Doug

I used a 50 on my thru and had plenty of room.

Images

The answer to "is this pack large enough" is the same for any pack: does it hold everything I'll need to carry on this hike. If so, great. If it's tight when playing with it in a store, though, I usually get a little worried, because there is always one more thing when I'm packing for a hike - something I forgot to bring to the store when buying the pack. I like to have a little extra capacity rather than err on the side of too tight.

All that said, if your gear is is on the Ul side of Light, then the 50 is probably fine.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Journal Entries
    Images

The 50 is not designed as a thru pack - its more of a section pack, that being said - I would direct you to this really well thought out review to best answer your question......

http://sectionhiker.com/rei-flash-50-backpack/

I see the above post - and I am keeping in mind UL etc,,,, - The link talks about modification.
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 04-12-2012 at 14:57.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

swammie,
    At first glance it appears you are not new to backpacking. As you are talking canister and are on the Left coast, I presume you are on a PCT quest. The question is something really only you can answer. If you can fit all your gear and are confident in the pack, then yes the Flash 50 is fine for a thru. If you prefer the Flash 65 and find it fits your gear and food better, then go that route. I am familiar with the F-65. We bought it for my son, but the fit was not right for him, so we returned it. He has a friend who bought a F-50, but it is smaller than I would like to use.
    HYOH.
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..." Isaac Asimov

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    The 50 is not designed as a thru pack - its more of a section pack, .
    Which size did you use on your thru hike??

Working on Forestry Grad schol

IMO 50L is way too big for a thru-pack

20-40 is about right

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

If you are truly ultralight then you should be able to fit everything, at least for summer trips, in 50L or less. There are very few thru-hikers who can fit all their gear, safely, into a 20-35L pack. Many aspiring thru-hikers who are serious about shedding weight start out with a 60L+ pack and eventually wish they could downscale. Personally, I would look to start May 1, carry something between 45-50L in size, and end in September. I would consider a Flash 50, but I'd probably go with a ULA pack.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

I used a flash 65 last year for my "thru" and it was packed full at the beginning. I was inexperienced. For my last 800 miles I will be using a 2500cu pack with much lighter and smaller gear. the REi Flash 65 is PLENTY for a thru. You will find yourself carrying way to much stuff just because you can fit it in the pack. My advice is Flash 50 or something smaller.

Thanks for all the input! It'll be a HYOH experience that dictates what I use and I expect to learn and change as I go. I've only got about 250 miles under my belt, mostly as an adult BSA leader, mostly day hikes, 3-4 day weekend hikes/campouts, one 65 miler (7 days) and one 20 miler (1 day). Now that I'm a past-Scoutmaster and hiking with other "old guys" on my own time I'm attempting to refine my scouter mindset to always be prepared....for everything!? I'm working to start with a smarter set of gear/tools learned from all the awesome long distance hikers of AT/CDT/PCT and other trails.

50 vs. 60 results

REI Flash 65
    size: plenty big enough while maintaining a good size/weight tradeoff
    flexibility: top and framesheet remove
    notes: tempting to fill extra capacity

REI Flash 50
    size: large enough with a great size/weight tradeoff
    flexibility: top and framesheet remove
    notes: forces lighterweight choices

Working on Forestry Grad schol

If you're looking to pare down your gear you might want to look smaller.

I've done a few thousand miles in the REI Flash 18. It's fine for the warmer seasons as long as you don't want to dry camp.

why not look at the REI stoke 29. http://www.rei.com/product/827115/rei-stoke-29-pack . If 50L seems like it'll make sense to you, then 29L might actually force some lightweight changes,

Quote Originally Posted by Toto View Post
    the REi Flash 65 is PLENTY for a thru. You will find yourself carrying way to much stuff just because you can fit it in the pack. My advice is Flash 50 or something smaller.
    I think I'll bite the bullet and go with the 50. It's tough to get all my gear into that model and I haven't gotten my sleeping bag down to a reasonable size...so there's going to be a vacancy once I spring for that piece. Summer's on the way and I can use my superlight summer bag in the meantime. Do you hear that Santa?

If you can't get everything you need in the 50 you have too much much stuff which you will eventually discard. I have the 65, 50, and 18 and like them all. I would have used the 50 I have but the med torso is a little short, the small fit is ok for a few days but I did not months. I bought a Granite Gear Crown 60 which does not hold quite as much stuff as the Flash 50 and it worked great.

Journal Entries

I will be using the Osprey Hornet 46 for my hike. I got my base weight without food and water to under 15 pounds. I utilized the help of a postal scale though!! haha. The size of your pack really just depends on what you want to carry. The more comfort items you take the heavier your ruck and the larger the pack you need. I think that this is one of the most fun parts of the hike.. the prep! haha

++ New Posts ++