WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Airman View Post
    iDoes anyone have any good ideas about how to keep your backpack dry? I sprayed my cover with water repellent, but I'm not sure that would be enough.
    I think you are asking how to keep your pack dry. That is, keeping your pack from absorbing water. Don't know what fabric your pack is made from but spraying or washing just the pack with Granger's Waterproofer would be the way I would go. It's a versatile product which can be used on many different types of fabrics. It works well. Might have to ocassionally reapply it though. Then use the internal liner idea with or without the added safety of WP stuff bags to keep specific gear like your sleeping bag dry. Could also go with the a WP pack cover after waterproofing with the Grangers for added protection. Find the combination that works for you under your typical hiking situations. Hope that answers your question.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Uh, people, carefully read, and perhaps reread, what the OP asked. He asked how to WP his backpack not specifically what goes inside the backpack.
    Spraying the outside - makes the pack water resistant, he didn't tell us what pack he had. - chances are he has one that all-ready is sil sealed. Making a pack waterproof is a different matter, so KK gave a excellent alternative. But I will add this - I have been using a garbage bag on the inside in case the bladder leaks. Its in it's own sleeve and my clothes will stay dry even if the bladder leaks. So I think these are good answers.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Why? stick a small kitchen garbage bag inside... that's water proof - not water resistant. Easier to keep it clean. UL etc. etc. etc.
    Agreed - use those "trash compactor" bags that are extra thick and heavy.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by lush242000 View Post
    Once again. As they say. I know my backpack is waterproof. It rained 3 days ago and it's still holding water.
    Which is why I still use a pack cover in heavy rain; I hate carrying around a few cupfuls of water in the bottom of your pack (or the nylon itself if it isn't waterproof). I apply a DWR spray before each section hike and use a Cuben pack cover (0.7 ounces) that stays snug even on a windy day. I also have all my gear in waterproof Cuben stuffsacks, plus my sleeping bag encased in a trash bag. That setup has worked just fine for me, but I wouldn't expect the DWR treatment to last more than a few weeks of backpacking.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Even though I may use a pack liner and or pack cover I find it helpful to ALSO spray my Dyneema backpacks with a DWR or waterproofer like Grangers, ReviveX, Nikwax spray-on DWRer, silcone spray, etc so my backpacks made with this fabric DO NOT absorb water. I keep saying this and I'll say it again - I rely on the storage volume ON THE OUTSIDE of all my backpacks ie: rear shovel pocket, side mesh pockets, hibelt pockets, etc to stotre items I don't want to get TOTALLY DRENCHED and I do not want to store those items all in individual WP/WR stuff sacks or baggies so I'll sometimes, like when I know I'm going to be hiking w/ a high risk of heavy or long duration rain, w/ a liner, pack cover and additionally DWR/WP my pack!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Why? stick a small kitchen garbage bag inside... that's water proof - not water resistant. Easier to keep it clean. UL etc. etc. etc.
    Except: Wet backpacks get heavy when wet. Why carry the extra weight? It rains a lot on the AT. Use an ultralight pack cover, plus a garbage bag inside. Belt and suspenders. Keep your stuff dry.

Why don't hikers do it CR? They are sometimes more concerned about those extra back breaking 3 oz. Personally, i'd rather stay dry. If I was on teh PNT or in teh Candian Rockies I would do all three: pack liner, pack cover, wping pack fabric.

I'm an Old Phart. Educate me:
    Why do I need a trash compactor bag when I have a gross or 3 of Glad Trash bags under the kitchen sink? A pair of Glad bags doubled in my Terraplane is no heavier than the compactor bags.
    Ziploc bags: My first line of liquid defense. What's wrong with that?
    Keeping the Terraplane exterior dry: Poncho. Done.
    The Jensen pack is a bit trickier with the two vertical columns. The principle is the same: Plastic bags inside. Poncho outside.
    So, why do I need trash compactor bags?

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Why do I need a trash compactor bag when I have a gross or 3 of Glad Trash bags under the kitchen sink? A pair of Glad bags doubled in my Terraplane is no heavier than the compactor bags.
    The Jensen pack is a bit trickier with the two vertical columns. The principle is the same: Plastic bags inside. Poncho outside.

Wayne
    I'm glad you've had good luck with regular garbage bags; I have not. Even doubled, they don't last me a single week without multiple breeches that would let water in. I find that compactor bags last about a month. Nuthin wrong with ziplocks or ponchos, though I finally graduated to higher tech rain gear (maybe, what... 35 years ago or so?). I still have my trusty Terraplane though! Hanging proudly on my wall. Right next to my 6 pound ash handle ice axe, all never to be used again by my own Old Phart bones.

I'm sure that you are right. I may come around some day.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Journal Entries

I usually use a 1.05 oz Nylofume bag as a liner.

I test my liner every day for holding air . When I find a small leak, I put a piece of ducttape over it.

A wet pack, is not going to let a lot of water in a small leak on a liner. If the pack fills with water and the leak is at the bottom, then sure. Ordinarily, small leaks in a liner are inconsequential.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post

Wayne
    Most folks dont - I have in off season a down jacket and a down mummy in a Sea to Summit dry bag. I think I mentioned I had a Bladder bag failure once where the drinking water ended up on the inside of the bag all over the equipment - it was a O ring that fell out of the cap that cause the problem.

I have had Glad Bag failures. I have done deep water crossings. I like puffing in the air and sealing - then forging the river. Just the way I roll....here is me when I was first learning to cross streams...advance to 1:35 I tried several ways to edit this.

Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 05-12-2014 at 21:03.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

I use a pack cover, compactor bag, and individual bags. My experience is that my issues are always setting up and breaking down in he rain. Don't think I've ever had complete sucess when it rains for 3 days straight. The big issue always seems to be my feet. They just can't go in the backpack.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Except: Wet backpacks get heavy when wet. Why carry the extra weight? It rains a lot on the AT. Use an ultralight pack cover, plus a garbage bag inside. Belt and suspenders. Keep your stuff dry.
    Don't use a Cordura pack, don't use a pack with open cell foam padding...
    Awwww. Fat Mike, too?

Quote Originally Posted by shakey_snake View Post
    Don't use a Cordura pack, don't use a pack with open cell foam padding...
    Will you pay for 3 new backpacks that conform to your specifications?

Wayne
    Blissfully ignorant with a collection of indestructible backpacks.

Sent from somewhere around here.

I prefer Ziplock bags really, they are waterproof and help you organize your gear.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++