WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Ran into them near the GA-NC border in April. I was heading south and they stopped to chat (as most all the NOBOs did -- we were the only SOBOs out that week it seemed). Anyway, got into a good discussion with Balls about reducing gear weight. Cool people. I didn't even realize how young Sunshine was until I got back and looked up their journal!

Images

Amazing family how great is that to grow up with these types of lifes lessons.
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

Yeah! cast off day is always a big day!it wont always look thin,shriveled,and well...un-tan, congrats on getting your arm back, no more banging your head when you go to scratch it. hehehe

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    congrats on getting your arm back, no more banging your head when you go to scratch it. hehehe
    I know this may have happened to you a few time, space rocket, and I feel terrible about it.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

They made it to Moosilauke.. I think they will enjoy the Whites immensely. I think they will finally get the exposure and views more like on the PCT.. only greener.

Quote Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
    I know this may have happened to you a few time, space rocket, and I feel terrible about it.
    oh yeah, been there a few times.

CF97 > Everything Else.

Got to hike out of Hanover, NH with them! Such a great duo!
    "... I know it is wrong, but I am for the spirit that makes young men do the things they do. I am for the glory that they know." --Sigurd Olson, Singing Wilderness.

AT '12, LT '13, CT '14, PCT '15

I am so glad I came upon this. I will be taking my son who just turned 12 last week. We are doing this in celebration of his older brother who passed away almost 3 yrs ago. I had wanted to plan this with my two older boys (I have 4) but God had diffrent plans when my son went "Home" and there is much celebration of life to be rememberd about him. So my 12 yr old who is much like me will go with me to spread some of my oldest ashes there. :O) I think it is awesome that this young lady is out with her dad, what wonderful memories being made and that young lady will pass that passion on! Keep trekking Balls and Sunshine! God Bless!

P.S. this is the kind of spirit I love to read about and I hope this will spread more often.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by PapaGarrettP View Post
    Ran into them near the GA-NC border in April. I was heading south and they stopped to chat (as most all the NOBOs did -- we were the only SOBOs out that week it seemed). Anyway, got into a good discussion with Balls about reducing gear weight. Cool people. I didn't even realize how young Sunshine was until I got back and looked up their journal!
    I don't know if it's just her, or something with being out on the trail, but it seems she looks older than she is. One of the guys on the trail crew thought she was much older and was commenting on how attractive she was. The first time I saw her, she was running around the ADZPCTKO campground with her little sister and Jayhawk (another young hiker), so when I see her, I see that kid running around like kids do.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    I don't know if it's just her, or something with being out on the trail, but it seems she looks older than she is. One of the guys on the trail crew thought she was much older and was commenting on how attractive she was. The first time I saw her, she was running around the ADZPCTKO campground with her little sister and Jayhawk (another young hiker), so when I see her, I see that kid running around like kids do.
    She seems like a great kid and I love their journal. My favorite this year for sure. They stopped talking about how small the mountains are on the east coast when they hit the Whites, however. ...
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

The dynamic duo has entered Maine.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Registered User Northern Lights's Avatar
    Images

Their whole hike is impressive, but that young lady amazes me. Can't wait to see what she does next!

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Lights View Post
    Their whole hike is impressive, but that young lady amazes me. Can't wait to see what she does next!
    I think it is almost a given that she does the CDT next year. This kid has averaged nearly 20/day (total) and over 20/day hiking on the AT, and that was with breaking an arm (requiring a cast).

Assuming the weather cooperated, today is summit day for Balls and Sunshine. They blew through Maine like it was nothing. They entered Maine on 7/13.

112 days with 8 zeros.

Two down, one to go.........

tj12870_072412_145741_683768.jpg

Awesome!, ya know, I do believe Sunshine got taller since she started the trail, cause she sure is up there.

Congratulation Balls and Sunshine!

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Awesome!, ya know, I do believe Sunshine got taller since she started the trail, cause she sure is up there.

Congratulation Balls and Sunshine!
    I was thinking the same thing. Looks like a bit of a growth spurt. I was kinda wondering if the stress of a thru hike might affect her development. She looks very healthy, as does dad.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. Looks like a bit of a growth spurt. I was kinda wondering if the stress of a thru hike might affect her development. She looks very healthy, as does dad.
    Yep, I made a joke, but was serious too, she looks taller, and they both look Soooo happy, and rightly so, time to go rest up!

Looking forward to their CDT exploits.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++