WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by turtle fast View Post
    At 11 nice job! I wonder if in a few years my little one would not have the same ability...hmmm...start training now? My 3 year old guy likes to hike already infact was asking to go this morning. Now to teach him to set up camp...
    To some degree,I think the younger kids aren't necessarily made,but rather......there born.IMHO

Images

That reminds me of something Balls told me. He said he'd been trying to find a hiking partner for years, without success, so he made one. He did well.

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    That reminds me of something Balls told me. He said he'd been trying to find a hiking partner for years, without success, so he made one. He did well.
    Yes,and as always....there are exceptions to all rules,either way,what a neat kid.

Ran into Balls and Sunshine at the Skyland Lodge eating breakfast while I was hiking the Shenandoah National Park ( May 14-21) both looked good, Sunshine told me about needing to finish so she can get back intime for school. Balls ( daddy) was very cordial and in good spirits.it was Sunday the 20th when I spoke with them.

These are two of my favorite people in the hiking community. It amazes me the devotion that this father is showing his daughter in helping her to pursue her dream.

Bayou
    Journal Entries

Default Balls and Sunshine

Who's dream?

Quote Originally Posted by roy_hiking View Post
    Who's dream?
    This was a dream of Sunshine's long before it was a dream of her father's, although their family had always hiked together. Please do not make statements of which you know nothing about. Is Eric (Balls) proud of her? Is this now "their" dream? Definitely! But the day that Sunshine stops wanting to do this, her father will hang it up.

Quote Originally Posted by WIAPilot View Post
    This was a dream of Sunshine's long before it was a dream of her father's, although their family had always hiked together. Please do not make statements of which you know nothing about. Is Eric (Balls) proud of her? Is this now "their" dream? Definitely! But the day that Sunshine stops wanting to do this, her father will hang it up.
    Near the last stretch of their PCT thru, when Sunshine was told by the doc that her foot infection may keep her from finishing the PCT, she was crushed.

I have raised two kids. There is no question in my mind that the kid wants it. You can tell it from her journal updates. She is the more positive of the two. I don't recall her grumbling about anything.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

They were both super kind to me! Met them in Hot Springs, NC and they gave out some samples that were, I believe, string cheese they had sent out to them. Wish them both the best!

I had no idea until today that they were doing the AT. Kept up with their posts last year on the PCT. Can't remember how I found out about them - think it was something besides BPL. Just read through their journal... 1/2 way point in 58 days. Awesome.

Dang!! They started at Springer the same day as me and I missed them . I followed them devotedly on their other hike. I can truly say they inspired me.

Cat in the Hat

Ran into them (not literally) at The Place and again at Trent's Grocery.

Images

Read their latest journal entry... Sunshine broke her arm on the PA rocks...

http://www.trailjournals.com/sunshine2012at

Sounds like it will be a temporary setback. That girl has true grit. Wish them both the best.

I remember reading their PCT journal last year. Sunshine pushed her dad into 30 mile days, not the other way around. She's a hiking machine.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

I can relate to kids getting hurt and wanting to continue. My son had stitches on his right ring finger but still played baseball, just held the bat funny for a week.

I think it is awesome that she wants to continue. I bet she ends up with a heck of a souvenir, all dirty, chipped, and full of trail names.

Quote Originally Posted by imscotty View Post
    Read their latest journal entry... Sunshine broke her arm on the PA rocks...

http://www.trailjournals.com/sunshine2012at

Sounds like it will be a temporary setback. That girl has true grit. Wish them both the best.
    Wow,sure sorry to hear that,those PA rocks can be tricky for anyone,they certainly tripped me and my son up a few times,and left me with a nice big bruise on the shine.Sunshine sure hope you heal fast,you are doing such a great job!finish or not,you have a fan in me,feel better RS

Post Script;Sunshine, ask your dad to buy you a titanium coat hanger that you can bend in half and use for the itchy's.

What a trooper Sunshine is! I think SHE is the one pushing her Dad! LOL What a great dad he is. You can tell how concerned he is about the whole situation. Sunshine makes me wish I had a daughter just like her.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Post Script;Sunshine, ask your dad to buy you a titanium coat hanger that you can bend in half and use for the itchy's.
    post of the day

I met these two way back at the Fontana Hilton....they are unsurprisingly 500 miles ahead of me now...at least I'm done with the damn PA rocks....and on to rocks in other states.

Sunshine got her cast off today.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++