WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Robbed on trail?

I came across this while reading trail journals.

Mar. 28th
    "one person got robbed on the trail yesterday and was talking to the franklin police."

from this journal
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=13004

Anyone have anymore info?

Images

with that little bit of info it could of been anything, camera, poles, cash from pack ? if it was serious (armed robbery) we will hear from locals in Franklin i'm sure.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

I agree with Kayak Karl-too little information.

What bothers me is the consistent use of wrong terms. The media is notorious for this.

So, was it actually robbery or just larceny? The two are way different crimes since robbery involves the taking of propery by threat of violence or intimidation whereas larceny is just plain old stealing.

Did the perp stick a gun in your face and take your backpack or did you just leave it outside the grocery store and return to find it gone. Big difference!
    Last edited by Spokes; 03-29-2012 at 09:02.

This is what struck me from the journal:

Yesterday in the middle of the trail we had trail magic from Gingersnap. she left fresh baked goods hanging from a big tub in a tree so the bears couldn't get it.

I got Robb(larcenied)the other day by a little kid selling lemonade.The sign said "ALL YOU CAN DRINK FOR A DIME"So I had a glass,and it was good,"I'll have another one please".She said "that'll be another dime",I said "but the sign says", "All you can drink for a dime".She said "but you had a glass right?"Yeah."Well that's all you can drink for a dime".

Whether this happened or not is irrelevant. The fact is it does happen and just because one has a feeling of community, which is a good feeling, but rest assure that feeling is only a false sense of security. It may be a true sense around certain people, but you're always meeting strangers and some strangers are really good at acting.

Of course it's relevant.
    Some people take the straight and narrow. Others the road less traveled. I just cut through the woods.

It's irrelevant to me. I know these things (whether it's simple robbery or larceny or murder) can happen anywhere; simple fact of life, always be on guard.

P.S. save me the stupid talk of being paranoid, if anyone believes being vigilant towards being a victim is paranoia, then they simply don't get it.

Talk about perpetuating paranoia- I'd say getting your facts wrong by telling people a robbery occurred instead of a simple larceny qualifies.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    Whether this happened or not is irrelevant. The fact is it does happen and just because one has a feeling of community, which is a good feeling, but rest assure that feeling is only a false sense of security....
    This scare tactic post reminded me of this article about confusing and exaggerating risks--
    How We Confuse Real Risks with Exaggerated Ones

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

I'm sorry, didn't mean to scare anyone; I keep forgetting how much people freak out here

Wow, I feel like a troll.
    Whether it is robbery, larceny or a simple brain fart, if someone is speaking with the police I thought there might be more information.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I got Robb(larcenied)the other day by a little kid selling lemonade.The sign said "ALL YOU CAN DRINK FOR A DIME"So I had a glass,and it was good,"I'll have another one please".She said "that'll be another dime",I said "but the sign says", "All you can drink for a dime".She said "but you had a glass right?"Yeah."Well that's all you can drink for a dime".
    This little girl saw you comming. (lol) that's funny. Did you spring a dime for another glass? Hope people here don't think she should be turned over to the authorities for false advertising. you may have opened a whiteblaze can of worms.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    I'm sorry, didn't mean to scare anyone; I keep forgetting how much people freak out here

Anyone flying JetBlue to get to the trail?

Quote Originally Posted by wannahike View Post
    Whether it is robbery, larceny or a simple brain fart, if someone is speaking with the police I thought there might be more information.
    For all we know they were talking to the police to get directions on how to get to the library.

Quote Originally Posted by atmilkman View Post
    This little girl saw you comming. (lol) that's funny. Did you spring a dime for another glass? Hope people here don't think she should be turned over to the authorities for false advertising. you may have opened a whiteblaze can of worms.
    Honestly the Devil made me tell that story~Flip Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Honestly the Devil made me tell that story~Flip Wilson
    Oh man! You got me. I feel like a big ol' bama catfish, taken hook, line and sinker.All in good fun. Still a funny senario.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Quote Originally Posted by wannahike View Post
    You did not troll.You reported what you read,nothing more."We report,you decide"I think that phrase works quite well,but most won't do the fact checking before they comet,including me.Chat forums aren't conducive to that.We shoot first,and apologize later.No Problem!Works pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by atmilkman View Post
    Oh man! You got me. I feel like a big ol' bama catfish, taken hook, line and sinker.All in good fun. Still a funny senario.
    No I'm sorry,you'll soon come to find most of what I say is BS,but not all of it.Don't beat yourself over it.

"Someone got robbed on the trail"

So, was this while in the woods or while in town? If it happened out in the woods, the thief is likely four legged and goes by the name "Yogi". If it happened in town (and talking to the Franklin police makes one think so), that is more disturbing, but not too suprising. Maybe Ron Haven knows the rest of the story?
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++