WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

I wonder if Rosie is sick -- aren't dogs susceptible to Lyme disease?

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    I wonder if Rosie is sick -- aren't dogs susceptible to Lyme disease?
    Yes, they are, and they can also have false negative tests. I know a dog who had multiple false negatives over more than a year before he was finally diagnosed with Lyme. In the meantime, he was aggressive and bit several people. Since then, with some anti-biotic treatment and prozac he doesn't bite people anymore, but he has permanent neurological damage that may have contributed to him chewing off his own tail. He's doing okay right now but needs hydro therapy in an underwater treadmill in order to keep his hind legs working correctly.

Yes, a horror story, but true. I hope Rosie doesn't have Lyme, but quick diagnosis and treatment would prevent most if not all of those problems.
    "Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must." ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by atmilkman View Post
    Turn off the fan.
    The fan keeps the laptop dry each time I spew!

Why is it so hard for some of you to set your differences aside and just be a help? When you read the whole set of posts - one can see a different picture.... some of you are so indifferent and rude - I am rethinking a few things here.
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 03-26-2012 at 19:28.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

A proper quick, brave, steady, ready gentleman! ocourse's Avatar

I am ashamed of many of my fellow WB members. Most of these posts are pathetic, and don't offer any help. I can't offer help because of distance and my own schedule. But I can offer encouragement and a more positive post. It seems that some people don't have much to do except blast others.
    I've learned....
    That a smile is an inexpensive way to improve your looks.

Journal Entries

Default glad she found someone

I offered to go and get rosie and house her until BF was finished with his hike. I live in nashville but would've gone to get her. I also have a cousin driving truck in around there that would have picked her up, but I guess other arrangements were found.
    I start out the Day with nothing and by the end of the Day I still have most of it.

Primary goal should be to hike with dog, camp with dog, spend time with dog.
    Katahdin should be secondary.

Personally I loved the 'Modest Proposal' reference. Appropriate satire.

Journal Entries
    Images

appears to be "too late" now.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    The fan keeps the laptop dry each time I spew!

Why is it so hard for some of you to set your differences aside and just be a help? When you read the whole set of posts - one can see a different picture.... some of you are so indifferent and rude - I am rethinking a few things here.
    No doubt. I thought the same thing when the man edited the other mans post.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Quote Originally Posted by ocourse View Post
    I am ashamed of many of my fellow WB members. Most of these posts are pathetic, and don't offer any help. I can't offer help because of distance and my own schedule. But I can offer encouragement and a more positive post. It seems that some people don't have much to do except blast others.
    you ever thru-hiked with a dog?

I stayed outta this one, mainly because in some circles I'm seen as "anti-dog." While some of the posts here were perhaps sharper and blunter than they needed to be, it's pretty clear that the dog owner in question was expeceting (even demanding) too much from the animal. This is not responsible dog ownership. He either needs to slow down to a pace that the dog can reasonably hike; he needs to get the dog off the Trail; or he perhaps needs to think about hiking the Trail at another time. But when someone acknowledges that they know they're forcing their pet to do too much, or when one acknowledges that they're frustrated by their pet's performance......well sorry, these are pretty large red flags. And this is precisely what was said in the original post. This dog needs to slow down its pace before it is crippled by its owner, or more likely, it needs to be somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    I stayed outta this one ... This dog needs to slow down its pace before it is crippled by its owner, or more likely, it needs to be somewhere else.
    Yeah, and that's what most thought and spoke towards. The lingering trouble above though is in a week or so, they plan on the dog returning to the trail, already damaged, to do what exactly - meet the same pace? The simple truth here is that the dog doesn't appear to be in good hands a midst the "dream" of the owner.

And the REAL dilemma here is that the problem is beyond the dog's control, AND NOW seemingly beyond the owner's control requesting / needing assistance from others. Giving assistance is rather dandy (nice of someone!), yet I can't help but wonder what's in the dog's future?

Btw, you don't have to be a animal lover to understand that the owner has a greater responsibility to ensure the reasonable good health of the dog - especially now since his dream has injured this animal.

Occasionally lucid

The plan for the "dream" thru hike is west coast hiker + dog + low budget + fast hike + Feb. start. How many failure modes can you cram into one thru hike? Carrying a 50 lb. pack too? The right solution is for hiker and dog to head home and return to the trail with a better plan and with a greater chance for success. It sounds like the current solution is to drop the dog off for someone else to take care of for a while and then "see what happens".

Still believe trolls could be at work.
    GA -> ME
    '86 -> '89

I have had nothing but the dogs best interest throughout this thread...too bad the owner, OP and the other dog whiners on here don't feel the same. IF YOU TREATED THE DOG LIKE THIS IN THE REAL WORLD, IT WOULD BE TAKEN FROM YOU! Since I have no provisions to place or care for the dog my help was advice...GET IT OFF THE TRAIL AND HOME...if that ends his hike then oh well...the dog should have never been out there under those circumstances.

geek

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    yo betsy! YOU take the dog and let sweetie fulfill his "dream" GD no-brainer
    Precious. If you are not in fact my father, you are cast from the same mold. The man has never told me what I wanted to hear, but what I needed to hear. Great stuff.

Journal Entries
    Images

I too am ashamed by some here that posted - some of you flat out got it and others did not... while I feel that some of you pm'ed offers of help others choose to be the 1% of WB. I am frustrated and disgusted. I can appreciate your thoughts that it was too much for the dog. But your posts were directed at the choir... I too am not without fault. But some here suck on canal water. Don't rush to judge so quickly and then condemn before understanding. Innocent before guilt? Nobody ever has ever posted the whole story in the first post....

I now understand why some come and go so quickly to WB... no Samaritans here.

Woo

I too am ashamed by some here that posted - some of you flat out got it and others did not... while I feel that some of you pm'ed offers of help others choose to be the 1% of WB. I am frustrated and disgusted. I can appreciate your thoughts that it was too much for the dog. But your posts were directed at the choir... I too am not without fault. But some here suck on canal water. Don't rush to judge so quickly and then condemn before understanding. Innocent before guilt? Nobody ever has ever posted the whole story in the first post....

you're so wrong on so many levels. come to damascus in 2 weeks and stay for a month and see how these hiker dogs are treated

Nobody has ever posted the whole story in the first post......That there is a good observation.I too share Responsibility in that bowl of confusion.

Journal Entries
    Images

Thats OK LW you have a pass too on so many levels - we at least can agree to disagree - I see the dogs at this end and they are well cared for at the Doyle.

Not a hater here.

In fact I did not reference any of your posts you and I do agree quite a bit but... I did add 9 more to my list.

And if I am wrong about people - I am not a quick judge except

Its more about opening ones mouth or keyboard and removing all the doubt.... I was brought up to understand what is fair.
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 03-27-2012 at 21:44.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

Hey folks - I am very ill - with a lung infection so I am off for a few days... I will check pm's so lets move on - end the damn drama.

Woo

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++