WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

it sounds like its 188 miles from Philadelphia at the moment. I can provide a 7 day break pick up the dog and deliver the dog back after the PA rocks somewhere like Port Clinton. Would there be an issue with being with two other dogs? Where do I pick up?
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

WOO your a good man! i don't care what others say :-)

Working on Forestry Grad schol

Quote Originally Posted by CrumbSnatcher View Post
    day after day after day? pack on or off?
    must be one bad ass dog!
    lots of back to back mid/high 20s with pack. We had to take one zero day when too much walking on black roads messed up his pads. He's a husky/malamute hybrid. Unlimited endurance in cold weather. Some lab tested these dogs and their VO2 max was 4x that of the best human runners, but they can't deal with heat. Dogs that are bred to be pets or retrievers or badger hunters might not be able to hike, but dogs that are bred to run sure can.

the mid 30s were all day hikes, I didn't do any solo overnights this last winter. He sprints up and down mountains the whole time. In cool weather I don't forsee back to back 35s being a problem for him. we'll probably try starting this fall.

Quote Originally Posted by BetsyVi View Post
    I need a trail angel desperately.... Rosie got worn out and a little beat up... The strain of having to urge Rosie along, and practically carry her is really exhausting Anthony both mentally and physically..
    I don't know about everyone else, but this is where I started to think abuse. "Worn out and beat up" "urging her along" had to "practically carry her" and HE was exausted?? This surely sound dire to me. I hope your first post was maybe a little exaggerated so you could get her off the trail before she was pushed as far as you first described. Yeah, it did sound selfish. You described his time table/goal in the first post, then in the later post say it was because of another dog. It sounds like you are making excuses for him. And that will definately put people on the attack, especially if a furry four legged friend is on the loosing end. (just my .02+cents)

Tell him to be a big boy and send the dog home for good. Why anyone would want the burden of thru hiking attached to a dog (literally at times) is beyond me.

Images

... We just don't have a lot of money...
    He doesn't have to spend a week off in town/hotel. He could camp in the woods, till the dog is rested. Afterwards, he's gotta slow the pace.

When the dog runs up and down the mountains and does long days, that's fine but when the dog is too tired to keep it up and you push the issue and complain about it then that is abuse. Listen to CrumbSnatcher. He is the wisest dog with a hiker that I know and yes I did phrase that correctly...dog with a hiker. If you are not willing to hike the dogs pace then the dog has no say in the issue and that is just wrong. Send the dog home...this issue should have never been. If your schedule required you to do those long mile days then the dog should have stayed home in the first place.

There is alot of hiking miles on this forum that has given you good advice and you just keep making excuses.

geek

Working on Forestry Grad schol

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Adams View Post
    There is alot of hiking miles on this forum and a lot of people who know a fraction of the situation are being dicks.

geek
    fixed your quote

Quote Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
    fixed your quote
    Hold-up Dog,let me get some popcorn.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Hold-up Dog,let me get some popcorn.
    Turn off the fan.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Quote Originally Posted by atmilkman View Post
    Turn off the fan.
    10-4...let it die.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    10-4...let it die.
    I should have said don't forget to turn off the fan cause there's a possibility the ***** might hit it.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

next road crossing.. dish the dog off to Minnisoata Smith. He'll know what to do with the dog :-)

If it weren't for Wise Old Owl, this tread would be a waste of pixels. Betsy might as well have originally posted, "Please think of twenty ways to insult me. Accuracy not necessary." A posting rule of thumb should be, "Would I say what I'm about to type if I were talking to this person face-to-face?" And then if the answer is "yes," ask yourself, "Would I say it more nicely?"

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    it sounds like its 188 miles from Philadelphia at the moment. I can provide a 7 day break pick up the dog and deliver the dog back after the PA rocks somewhere like Port Clinton.
    Port Clinton is about where the rocks START to get bad. They only get worse from there. If WOL takes the dog for a week, will your friend change his hiking style to take into account his dog's needs and limitations? A few dogs thrive on long distance hiking. Most do not. Twenty plus miles a day every day is too much for most dogs. They do it only because they have no choice.

shortly after 501 shelter PA. to High Point NJ =bad rocks,snakes &heat :-(
    Last edited by CrumbSnatcher; 03-26-2012 at 12:56.

---------------------------
    Last edited by CrumbSnatcher; 03-27-2012 at 08:57.

I really have no reason to make excuses to you all. My clarifications and updates are meant for those who were truly and honestly concerned for the dog's well being, and not for those who are more interested in verbally burning me at the stake. So, for those people, here is one final update. The dog has seen a vet, she is not sick or injured, but her paws are are sore and she needs rest. We have found a place for her to rest for the next week, possibly two. After that we will see how she is doing. I really do appreciate those of you who tried to help and gave me good advice. For the rest of you, I am sorry that I gave you the wrong impression with my phrasing. You taught me a valuable lesson: on this site, you have to choose your words very carefully. But I don't think I will be returning to this site anyway. That will probably make most of you happy, so congratulations.

And so it goes. Looks like the poor dog is going to have to suffer some more. Pitty.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

The reason I can't just go get Rosie and bring her home is that I live in California. And the place where I live doesn't allow dogs, so he can't even just send her home to me. Thats the reason that if Rosie's hike is over, so is his. But like I said, if he needs to give up because of her, he will.
    Betsy, I just read this post. Please ignore my PM. Your boyfriend needs to "hike his own hike" without Rosie. You need to make arrangements for her to get to someone who can care for her while he finishes his hike, or he can try again some other time without her.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++