WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Pitching a Tarp Tent Notch

Trying out my new TT Notch in the back yard tonight. Any tips on getting the ridge line taught? It seems to droop a bit. I fiddled with the lines, but tightening the side tie outs seems to put more downward pressure on the poles rather than pull outward. I could put lines to the peak that tie out further from the tent, but I was under the impressing that most people to not pitch that way. I am using tent poles rather than trekking poles, although I could switch to trekking poles if it would help to have height adjustment which I don't have with the fixed length poles.

I have trouble getting the ridge line tight on mine as well. I generally can adjust the trekking poles to make it tight by moving them further apart or leaning them outwards. I also only pull one side guyline tight, generally the side I am not planning on exiting from during the night.

Another trick that may help with the overall pitch is I take one side guyline and pull it a little to one side and do the same on the other. It helps on mine but someone else I met earlier this year tried it on their brand new Notch and it didn't make a difference. Mine may be sewn differently.

It took many nights to figure out all the quirks of my Notch and I still can't get it perfect every time.

I had the same problem when I first started using the TT Notch. The tip I received from Henry at Tarptent was this can usually be solved by lessening the tension in the two ends, in other words, don't pull the ends out quite so far when you are first setting it up. Once the middle is up and taut, you can go back and tension the 2 ends to your satisfaction. I tried this and it solved the problem.

I've seen people put a guy rope through the vent, connected to the top of the trekking pole. I think to help with stability. Presumably if you cranked those tight enough that would solve the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by pauly_j View Post
    I've seen people put a guy rope through the vent, connected to the top of the trekking pole. I think to help with stability. Presumably if you cranked those tight enough that would solve the problem?
    The latest version comes with tie outs.
    The best journeys answer questions that in the beginning you didn't even know to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Praha4 View Post
    I had the same problem when I first started using the TT Notch. The tip I received from Henry at Tarptent was this can usually be solved by lessening the tension in the two ends, in other words, don't pull the ends out quite so far when you are first setting it up. Once the middle is up and taut, you can go back and tension the 2 ends to your satisfaction. I tried this and it solved the problem.
    This. Lessen the tension on the structured ends and tighten where the zippered rain fly is. After right, then go back to the triangle ends and tighten up the slack there too. I love mine.

Quote Originally Posted by bears12th View Post
    This. Lessen the tension on the structured ends and tighten where the zippered rain fly is. After right, then go back to the triangle ends and tighten up the slack there too. I love mine.
    One more thing to keep in mind, when you breakdown let out all the tension adjustment out of the line adjusters. that way you have the full range next time you setup.
    The best journeys answer questions that in the beginning you didn't even know to ask.

Thanks. Slept out in the back yard last night. After it dries I will try this. Mine has the line lock on the peak but I would have to buy cord to rig them. Another probe I had was since the ridge wasn't tight the poles were leaning in and the floor would ride up.

I took the tent and recover pitched using some of the tips. I pulled the end taught when putting in the second stake and then backed it off about a foot. This seemed to solve the problem. I also used trekking poles and they worked better than the tent poles. It was easier to fasten the floor to the wide textured grips vs the smooth skinny poles.

just out of curiosity, what did you use for a trekking pole length? Atfer reading this thread yesterday I went home and set mine up just for practice and setup using a 120cm length and struggled until I figured out it was too high and dropped them down to 115cm. At 120cm I had issues with keeping the Velcro for the floor on the poles because of the tension. I think 110 would be even better and I think I'd still have plenty of head room. I probably spent ten minuets tweaking things to get it perfect. After I had things the way I wanted them a quick look at the overnight lows of 44 degrees dictated that I sleep in it . This really is a sweet little shelter.

++ New Posts ++