WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16

Quote Originally Posted by WIAPilot View Post
    Only for bullies who try to intimidate others and don't like hearing the truth. And there are obviously many who agree with my assessment...
    I know I do.I mean I have heard hikers warn of camping near trailheads for the threat of people/locals/drunks knowing where you were,and being able to get to you quickly.
    When we had our bear encounter we were 1/10 of a mile from a road (Campbell hollow rd,approx 3.5mile hike from 19E/elk ridge access) and I was a little uncomfortable camping there just knowing someone could get to me easily as I was sleeping...One mans paranoia and preparedness is another mans silliness and unnecessary weight I suppose.

In Montana, if you shoot a bear, the bear had better fall on you or the law will fall on you instead.

I usually recommend OPSak odorproof bags.

I subscribed to Stick's BLOG because I like the fact he discusses his gear choices that work for him. He recently had a mention and video about Lite Trail NyloBarrier Odorproof bags.

I am going to try this more lightweight odorproof bag.

I have good experience with odorproof bags, adding a grey packcloth bag or a white spectra bag or Ursack.

Any time I read about no food attacks, the usual suspect, for me, is wiping hands after handling food on clothing.

I don't prepare or consume food near my campsite.

I also have carried Counter Assault bear spray, approved for U.S. and Canada.

Once, a campground host in Canada asked me to get to the tourists closely following a grizzley bear on the road to ask them to return to the campground,
    on seeing I had a holstered 20 oz cannister of Counter Assault bear spray. I unholstered the Counter Assault, removed the safety, and thumb ready, I went out to the road.

I ask groups of people to stay close together - no stragglers.

I have a lot of experience with bears and I have no confrontations.

The first rule is do not get between a mother bear and cubs, even accidentally. If I do, I lower my eyes, speak softly (apologizing to the bear) and I slowly back out. I believe soothing voice is helpful. I know lowering, or, averting my eyes helps. If I look to see what the bear is doing, I am just as much looking away. Direct eye contact is aggression.

All my bear experiences have been good experiences, some really great experiences.

Once, a mother bear brought her brand new twin babies our of a thicket to circle around in a small circle to return into the thicket. What was she doing? She was showing off her new babies!
    Last edited by Connie; 06-30-2012 at 14:51.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16
++ New Posts ++