WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Some hiking buddies gave me my trail name after several failed attempts at water crossings in St. Mary's Wilderness. Someone commented that they had never seen anyone move quite like that while trying to save oneself from yet another dunking. As you may have guessed, my name has nothing at all to do with agility or gracefulness. Quite the opposite!
    Some people take the straight and narrow. Others the road less traveled. I just cut through the woods.

Got mine while hiking a section of the NCT in Michigan, about an hour into the hike had a Mama and 3 cubs cross the trail about 20 yards in front of me ... ... hence the name "4 Bears".
    "You have brains in your head/You have feet in your shoes/You can steer yourself in any direction you choose." - Dr. Seuss

Journal Entries
    Images

I was section hiking in near Mount Roger (Wild Ponies) in VA and there were a few other [male] section hikers there - one of which thought my name should be "sunshine" because of my personality. (<-- HAHA) So I said to him, sure, I'll take "Sunshine" if it's sunny tomorrow. All night the wind and rain howled! The next morning, Weenail (a true thru-hiker) said "well Sara, your name's not sunshine". It stuck. Thanks Weenail!
    …speak to the earth, and it shall teach thee… –JOB 12:8

I hike, therefore I am.
    Images

I was bestowed with " "Protozoa Arse" once, but as it turned out it was just something I ate.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Majortrauma View Post
    I've been taking my children with me starting at 9 yrs old and I inevitably end up with a heavier pack at the end of the hikes than at the start. One hike I had to literally take my daughters pack, strap it to the front to me to help her get to the next shelter. My br-in-law saw me coming down the hill with both packs and the name El Burro stuck.
    I'll do just about anything to keep my children interested in this and make sure they enjoy it and the extra weight is not that big a deal.
    I love it I hope to do the same for my kids one day

I have a standing Bear on my right leg (calf) hence, Bearleg

I have numerous trail names, each derived from particular hikes with particular people. 3M was one, since I used to use duct tape for near everything. American Wild Ass (take off of African Wild Ass), well thats pretty self explanatory.

Registered User Northern Lights's Avatar
    Images

My first day out on my first section hike of the AT last year, I came across two ladies, Buttercup and strike2 fire. I met up with them at Hawk Mountain shelter and they called me over and I set up camp with them. They asked me if there were Northern Lights where I lived, I said yes and told them a bit about it. They said that's your name, Northern Lights. I like it

Months after I returned home I was looking at my favorite picture, it is a picture of wolves on a hill and the Northern Lights are dancing behind them. I looked down at the title of the picture and it was Northern Lights. So I think all in all my name fits.

Whack-a-mole...If you've ever played that game at the amusement park, well, I got it after an episode with a mouse and a flip-flop at Lance Creek. I'm sure you get the picture...

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Whack-a-mole View Post
    Whack-a-mole...If you've ever played that game at the amusement park, well, I got it after an episode with a mouse and a flip-flop at Lance Creek. I'm sure you get the picture...
    LOL Awesome visual, Whack-a-mole! Thanks for the chuckle.

I've been section hiking the AT since 2008 and honestly I have yet to acquire a trail name. Next week I'm hiking 82 miles through PA. I hope to receive one then.

I dont have one but if i were to give myself one it would be blowout.If you could hear me an hour after dinner!Just kidding.I have a herniated disc in my back{blowout}.But i believe a trail name should be given to you on the trail and hope to get one soon.Not sunshine is a perfect exsample,great.
    I walk up hills,and then walk down

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Trail names whats your storey?

Call sign in the Army was Fox 54. Due to abundant gray hair, my hiking mates tagged me Gray Fox. Not sure if is an improvement of my old trail name of Snail... You know - slow moving and carrying my house on my back!
    Cheers,

Spoppy

Ex Umbris Ad Lucem

i would have asked "junebug, what do they call you in July?'

Images

Need I say more?

I miss my old truck. You can call me White Honda now or just plain old F-150
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Images

In 03' on my thru-hike I was carrying heavy - not out of ignorance - but out of wanting guilty pleasures on trail. My 60 lbs was too heavy for the pack though and one of the shoulder strap buckles snapped. The pack pulled away from my body - flinging me back down the hill into Unicoi Gap. Once THAT hit the shelter journal "airwaves" ... the name appeared - "Sir-Packs-Alot"

I am a veterinary pathologist.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sir-Packs-Alot View Post
    In 03' on my thru-hike I was carrying heavy - not out of ignorance - but out of wanting guilty pleasures on trail. My 60 lbs was too heavy for the pack though and one of the shoulder strap buckles snapped. The pack pulled away from my body - flinging me back down the hill into Unicoi Gap. Once THAT hit the shelter journal "airwaves" ... the name appeared - "Sir-Packs-Alot"
    I feared I would be called forklift, hand truck, or kitchen sink after my first group hike. Thankfully we didn't assign trail names. It was only overnight. I learned quick what to leave home.
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

Krystal ......you haven't got a name for a reason...... your name is no name

wookinpanub

WOOKINPANUB:
    As an early solo southbounder, I felt like I had to find one for myself, but it was given to me by freinds before I left.
    When talking to folks about my planned thru-hike, the question "Why are you going?" kept coming up. After realizing that most would not understand, I gave up and began giving the nonsense answer of "I'm just going out looking for love." Add an Eddie Murphy skit (Buckwheat Sings) and you get "Wookinpanub in all the wrong places." It was written in shoe polish on my car by some friends before I left, so I figured it was as good as any.

I rode a bicycle cross country the year before my thru hike:

www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/ibikefar

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++