WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Images

hey man i just looked over your list. i don't see any sort of insulating jacket or rain jacket. the rain jacket is a must and the insulation is a near must (unless you plan to use your sleeping bag). also, ditch the deodorant...
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Quote Originally Posted by Wags View Post
    hey man i just looked over your list. i don't see any sort of insulating jacket or rain jacket. the rain jacket is a must and the insulation is a near must (unless you plan to use your sleeping bag). also, ditch the deodorant...
    I've got a northface jacket and a long sleeve anti moisture underlayer in case I get cold. I sleep/am stupidly warm blooded. Me and heat actually hate each other - so that's the one part of this trip I just know I'm going to have to push out of mind, because damn it's warm already.

Deodorant? Reasoning behind this? I was mostly going to have it if I had to head into a town and could smell myself. Hate to make others suffer as well even if it's just temporary.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
    I have a buddy that thru-hiked in chacos. think he got through the AT and CDT in one year on about 4 pairs. They last about twice as long as shoes and cost the same amount.

Food for thought.
    Makes me want them even more now. I saw these and started in on the "hey old man, know I'm doing this trip on a budget..." to my pops just now, before I could finish the last word he laughed and said don't even think about it, my birthday wasn't until January. Fail.

Images

ok. i bet you'll throw your deodorant away the first town you get to

seems many think your funds will be short. i suggest you make sure you enjoy yourself out there and see how far that takes you. you can always go back and finish what you started later on when the money is right...
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Quote Originally Posted by Wags View Post
    ok. i bet you'll throw your deodorant away the first town you get to

seems many think your funds will be short. i suggest you make sure you enjoy yourself out there and see how far that takes you. you can always go back and finish what you started later on when the money is right...
    Haha. At least that first town I'll be slightly less stinky?!

And yeah - The budget (and it's discussion here) has been a hot-topic offline between me and some of my more experienced outdoors friends. They seem to think that the type of journey I'm setting out on, and knowing me, that I should be ok and even have some cash left-over towards the end. Then again, they could be as wrong as me.

BUT I fully intend on doing just that - enjoying every single step, even the ones that hurt, which there will be plenty, and going as far as possible. Which will hopefully be some 2100+ miles later.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++