WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Another thing to consider regarding boots, is not only how they'll hold up, but also how much they might weigh completely soaking wet.

Working on Forestry Grad schol

The 'champion' of cheap non-moochy thru hikes, as far as I know, is weathercarrot. He wrote an article on it. He was talking about thru-hiking on $1,100. But that was in 2003.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...=weathercarrot

I think he was able to succeed by cooking over wood and buying things like oatmeal, rice, and beans in bulk, and only resupplying from grocery stores. Fuel costs can add up for a hike, especially if you have foods that need actual cooking.

You still need a better footwear strategy. Maybe just go thrift stores near where you live. You could send yourself mail drops to 2-3 places where there aren't good grocery stores with a gently used pair of shoes.

Those boots would be absolutely miserable for a thru-hike.

you'll need to not smoke/drink

You'll need to have no bad luck (illness, gear breaking, etc.)

You'll need to be ok with eating your rice & beans while all the other hikers are going to buffets, the bar, etc.

That is a great link and good advice. I know times have changed in the last 9 years (inflation-wise) - but reading that is making me that much more optimistic that $1400 is doable.

Luckily I don't smoke - and while I'll have a social beer or two (here - at home), I'm not a big drinker. Once upon a time, yes. In the last year I can count on one hand the number of times I've actually set out to "drink".

Luck/Bad Luck.... I plan on pushing through any minor illnesses, sore legs, resting shin splints if/when they happen. It'll probably take me coughing up some internal organ or something along those lines to take me off the trail for an illness. I know every little ache/pain of my body, and have a pretty good understanding (biologically) of when something might be dangerous and need to get professional help. I also have a pretty in depth physical coming up next week that will make sure I'm healthy enough - that's the only "hurdle" that can happen beforehand to put the whole trip in question. (Luckily one I'm not worried about going wrong).

Boots. Ahhhh, blah. Really? Can I ask why? I summited Table Rock and some other smallish SC/NC mountains and trails with those boots with no issue. Clearly someone else will know more than me, so I'll continue to research and reshape that part of my gear. I was actually getting excited for a second because they turned out to be lighter than I thought.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...onth)-schedule

also, there's an article I wrote. Lots if it is outdated (shipping cost has gone way up), but it may have useful info

Cheapest fuel (besides wood) is gasoline which works in stoves like the MSR Whisperlite.

Using gasoline (and it's cost) was one of the reasons the whisperlite jumped to mind. I haven't actually had hands on it yet (buddy shipped it Thursday, should be here today or tomorrow) - What's the deal with storing gas in the fuel bottle? My understanding it says "white fuel only" or something like that as a warning. Not that I always follow all warnings, but gas has different burning properties than white fuel. I'm /guessing/ it can be stored in that fuel bottle and ran like normal - but can someone clarify? (I'll probably figure it out here in a day or two anyways, but I'm just curious).

*it* being the fuel bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by Winds View Post
    There are many others more qualified which will help you here regarding your list.

My only input is what I asked for days earlier and sounds like you are asking the same question above. What I was told was:

You are only FORCED to use a shelter in two areas of the entire A.T.
    [If the shelter is full, you may then tent next to the shelter.]

Great Smoky Mtn. Nat. Park (GSMNP) – 82 miles
    Baxter State Park – 10 miles

My understanding is that there is < 92 miles that you are forced to use a shelter on the A.T.
    What do you mean 'forced to use a shelter'? Is it illegal?

My understanding in those above stated areas, if you do not stay in a shelter, or tent next to it if full, then you can be ticketed.

If you plan on running a whisperlite off of gasoline then you should plan on cleaning it frequently.

Unleaded gas works well in the Wisperlite and I haven't cleaned mine in years.

Yeah, actually most anything combustible works well in those.

Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
    Unleaded gas works well in the Wisperlite and I haven't cleaned mine in years.
    Guess I've been misinformed. Thanks for correcting.

on $1400, be *EXTRA* frugal in the south/mid atlantic. It was my experience that food was much more expensive in new england.
    "...Though the road may wind, yea, your hearts grow weary, still shall ye follow them, even unto your salvation." -Blind Seer, O Brother, Where Art Thou?

Thanks again everyone for advice, commentary, etc!

Just made a little extra scrap($), did some more reading and research, and the Eureka tent on-sale seems to be my best bet/bang for my buck. So it's now purchased and on it's way. Link here - http://www.wildbillwholesale.com/eus...kw=eusoteflsi2 if you're curious.

Received the whisperlite today and learning/playing with it. This thing is pretty awesome to be honest. Yes - there are lighter/super super cheap options out there, but this was free and my friend swears by it. He just replaced the o-rings and cleaned it, and said that he used it solidly with unleaded gas and never had to really worry about cleaning it. He just cleaned it up for me before I left.

Have a few more super small things to get, and then my final gear list will be posted (including weights). I'm still hemming and hawwing on the damn footwear. Knowing me I'll wait until the last second to make my decision and just deal/live with it if I end up rethinking once I'm out there.

Quote Originally Posted by paradoxb3 View Post
    on $1400, be *EXTRA* frugal in the south/mid atlantic. It was my experience that food was much more expensive in new england.
    Thanks. I had a feeling that might be the case. Luckily the farther north I get, the more "support" I'll be getting from some friends who I have no problem reminding "hey - remember that one time?" and then having them restock me as they come out to section hike. It's one thing mooching from strangers (which I absolutely won't do) and a complete other to call in the bro-code and have some favors returned.

Two thoughts on the shoes.
    Seems that some of last years (or older) models are on great sales now?
    Theclymb.com had some great deals, and other sites too, check around.

You may only want to get one pair of decent but cheap shoes now and PLAN on replacing them down the trail.
    Hopefully you won't have to do that 5-8 times on a tight budget though.

I'll chime in on your new tent. I have this same one and I like it a lot. It's not the roomiest of tents - you won't be able to sit up in it, but it gets the job done for sleeping. I have read that the poles tend to break so just be careful with them. This has not been my experience though. My only guess is, people are forcing the pin in the pinhole when the end of the pole isn't ALL the way in the notch where it should be.

I have used it many times and it's much lighter than your original choice, I think you'll like it.

The Great Footware Decision of 2012.

Going with my boots. Reasoning being - they fit my foot like a glove - will do better wet - and will hold up much longer on the trail.

IF money wasn't an option - this would be my honest consideration ( http://www.chacos.com/US/en-US/Produ...?dimensions=18 ). It would a) leave me not needing to haul sandals to lounge in b) I wouldn't have to worry about waterproofing c) make me oh so happy because while my boots fit like a glove, in nice weather/when outside, I'll rock sandals as often as I can. I would probably bring a backup, because if a strap pulls out for whatever reason, I'd be screwed if I couldn't finagle a good solid fitting fix. But if they're still holding up strong mid or past mid-way - that backup could be shipped back. Sigh. If 100 bill falls out of the sky, and I have enough time to try them out, that would be my perfect decision.

Quote Originally Posted by underscored View Post
    The Great Footware Decision of 2012.

Going with my boots. Reasoning being - they fit my foot like a glove - will do better wet - and will hold up much longer on the trail.

IF money wasn't an option - this would be my honest consideration ( http://www.chacos.com/US/en-US/Produ...?dimensions=18 ). It would a) leave me not needing to haul sandals to lounge in b) I wouldn't have to worry about waterproofing c) make me oh so happy because while my boots fit like a glove, in nice weather/when outside, I'll rock sandals as often as I can. I would probably bring a backup, because if a strap pulls out for whatever reason, I'd be screwed if I couldn't finagle a good solid fitting fix. But if they're still holding up strong mid or past mid-way - that backup could be shipped back. Sigh. If 100 bill falls out of the sky, and I have enough time to try them out, that would be my perfect decision.
    I have a buddy that thru-hiked in chacos. think he got through the AT and CDT in one year on about 4 pairs. They last about twice as long as shoes and cost the same amount.

Food for thought.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++