WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I think it looks pretty good. I would do a prep trip with the tent but set up the fly like a tarp using only guyline and stakes. You can experiment but have the back up. A one person bug net is like $20 online that is pretty cheap to save so much weight. If you like the tarp but want something lighter or a different shape you can buy a section of heavy duty plastic at the harwear store for next to nothing(worked for colin fletcher). Plus one on making a cat food can stove (google directions) this way you can bring your whisperlite on the trip but have the cat can stove as well(weighs very little) or at least the experience of building one in case you decide to lighten up a bit for almost free later on. The whisperlite is bomber and you will be happy to have it for groups and winter hiking but many people end up switching to alcohol. If you try it out buy a small beverage in a plastic botttle for a fuel bottle and use the windscreen from your msr.

Working on Forestry Grad schol

I grew up in Troy, small world. 16 and Coolidge.

You can make it work.
    Some ideas to save weight and possibly money (mostly seconding bigcranky):

Switch to an alcohol stove. You can make one at home for a dollar. Google 'superacat' for the idiot proof version. If you're handier explore other option. If you want to share food on the trail, no one will want your dinners. Pack extra snickers bars.

Shelter: You need to replace that tent. How many calories (and therefore $$$) do you think it is going to cost to haul that thing from GA to ME?

Get a 6x10 flat NYLON tarp. You can probably find an off brand for $20-$30.

I'd rock the tennis shoes.

How much $ do you have saved up for food & incidentals along the way? Starting a trip you don''t have the resources to finish can be frustrating.

The camelbak/nalgene stuff...just use gatorade bottles. Simple, easy, cheap.

Registered User Edwardo Rodriguez's Avatar

Well undersored I have a 2 man 5lb tent that you are more than welcome to use or an OR bivy sack. I use the bivy on the JMT last year did not care to much for it had some condensation problem so I cowboy camp as much as I could

So after a day of beers and messing around with the rainfly, the tent is out. Like most have pointed out, it really is just too damn heavy.

I'm not entirely comfortable with the rainfly, and upon returning to my building tonight I found someone took my "for sale - bar stools" sign down. Here's to hoping tomorrow or Monday that same someone comes buys those puppies, that'll pay for the Eureka tent mentioned earlier which I think will be perfect (weight, what I want to sleep in, what's "appropriate" for a single hiker). Worst case - I've got 26 days to drill it down, and very worst case, I use the rainfly and a bug net.

Thanks for the offer Edwardo - for now we'll see what comes up. Things are looking better already.

Overall I'll have just shy of $1400 budgeted for the trip (and my now ONLY bill - cell phone). Problem is a good chunk of that won't be coming until the 1st week of May. Reason for leaving early - had a flight voucher that expired before then. Could not pass on the free flight, and logistically it made more sense to get on the trail when I am.

I plan on NEVER staying in a motel/hostel. And really taking very minimal down days in a town. Once in a blue moon I may go have a beer or two and real food - but every penny will be toward supporting the end goal of completing this hike. I'm a stubborn S-O-B and besides what this is going to do for me personally, I want to be part of that (10?)% that actually completes a thru-hike, and I'll put everything out there to do so.

As it gets closer I'll keep drilling down the gear and isolating what "works" for me and what doesn't. So far - the help here has been perfect. It's clear I was way wrong on trying to get by with the tent I had among other things.

Re: ScottP & Troy. My aunt lived over there for the longest time (Between 17(wattles?)&16 and Rochester, her husband's family actually owns that Picano's restaurant over that way (if it's still there even?) - Quite a few of my friends graduated from Athens back in 99-00.

Wow, have your read much from others on budget? If you can manage the entire journey on $1400, I and a few thousand here will want to know exactly how you did that. How long are you planning on being on the trail - I don't know if you have a slated time goal to complete?

I've been reading and I've read about people budgeting with less - whether or not they've completed it is beyond me.

I'm an EXTREMELY frugal and plan on carrying more than most would food with me. I'm planning on 2.5/3 food resupplies a month (if I can time/space it all out right, which is something I'm working out the details/distances of now). My food is literally going to consists of PB/Oatmeal/Pita/flat breads/Nuts and trailmix/Granola/mac and cheese/swiss mix - and I'm still working out some finer details and incorporating larger/more nutritional-protein based meals.

Other than that - any other expenses besides food - maybe a new pair of shoes (if I end up going the tennis shoe route) - and a couple postcards out to various people - are going to be few and far between. Unless I'm completely missing something?

That's it money related. After that - there literally IS no more. I've got a free flight home from wherever (will probably be NY - my parents will be in Maine the first couple days of October, and I'll hitch with them down the east coast a bit until I get to a big enough airport) - and some money set aside for a wedding gift when I get back.

*an extremely frugal ---person---

again, awesome typing/speaking skills on hand.

Addressed "the money situation" in a post on what will become my AT (online) journal. Not that it addresses specifics of what I'll be spending out there - but part of why I'm doing this trip, and part of why there is just no money. ( underscore-at2012.tumblr.com )

Please though - let me know if there's anything BESIDES food that I honestly need to budget for and can't do without. I didn't come here to not listen to worthwhile advice.

Well, if you do your hike in 4 months, that's $11.67 per day for everything.
    5 months = $9.34 per day.

My understanding is to do the entire A.T. with that budget, you'll need to be an EXPERT in one or many facets of your hike including but not limited to:
    o Speed of your hike
    o Staying out of towns
    o NOT partying it up
    o Little to no gear replacements
    o Great health / little to no downtime
    o Few if no unforeseen problems
    o More...

The ONLY reason I mention above is that you seem determined to finish a thru-hike of the entire trail.

I certainly wish you success in your endeavor and like I said, WHEN you make it, I'll want to know how on that budget.

I look at this list, and I (honestly) - not just (wishy washy optimism) - believe it's possible. My only real worry is going to be the speed of the hike, I know it'll take be a good couple weeks to get a good rhythm that I can then plot the rest of (or large portions at least) the hike off of that rhythm.

Towns/Parties - really not my scene. At all. Not lately at least. And certainly not as my goal is to forge north carrying my life on my back. I'm ok letting people know "Sorry - can't really take a down day, or go split a case with you".

Gear... *big sigh*. IF (another version of me) had money, there's a lot I would outright replace now. But - that's not how it goes. Anything that happens with my pack, shelter, or sleeping bag - I should be able to fix (or rig) on my own. The one thing that could screw me is my water filter - but until I get my hands on it, I'm not sure if I even need to worry about that.

But thanks! - I really hope I'm successful too. I'll be documented a lot, so we'll def find out at some point if the budget is doable.

You can probably count on replacing shoes more than once. They really take a beating.

Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
    You can probably count on replacing shoes more than once. They really take a beating.
    Good to know. I've read some accounts where people seem to do ok, but the majority seems to be ^. This is why boots vs. shoes is something I haven't settled yet. My boots are made to take an absolute beating. But they also weigh as such.

I think it is unusual for even a pair of sturdy hiking boots to last the trip. I'm wearin' regular running shoes not really designed for hiking. A pair last me about 500 miles.

Working on Forestry Grad schol

I don't see how you can expect to finish on $1,400 without a lot of luck and mooching. By all means start and enjoy yourself, but don't get disappointed if you run out of money halfway.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
    I don't see how you can expect to finish on $1,400 without a lot of luck and mooching. By all means start and enjoy yourself, but don't get disappointed if you run out of money halfway.
    Yeah, this is the sentiment you'll see most here I think.
    People brighter and more experienced than I have broken budget down in umpteen ways and what you're attempting will be a great challenge.

As for boots that will make it, I have them too BUT they would probably have to be re-soled along the way. They weigh over 5lbs. so I'm not even thinking of taking those. I have spent a little time on shoe selection and in HIGH spirits am trying to find a shoe / insole system that might only need to be replaced once. This is very ideal thinking by most.

With that said, this is my general plan:

Hiking shoe (I stress shoe here): $100 (I want a mid-high shoe, and NOT trail runners)
    Insoles: $30

Times that by two (at minimum): $260

This doesn't include socks, liners, gators, etc. so I am not detailing out a FOOT plan.

This is all my opinion obviously - but I have NOT found a shoe or boot that won't need some sort of insole consideration and that will have to be replaced at some point.

Is any of what I posted above out of sorts at all? $1400 (to me) is a lot of money for food (especially when I'll be on a "eat when I can" diet). Let's even say $1100 of it for food and any remainder for little stuff that comes up. Here's what I'm basing this off of...

I live in the city. I'm poor as it is. I live off of cereal and sandwiches, and can keep my grocery bill (with milk, juice - stuff I won't have on the trail) below 30 dollars. And that food lasts me 2 weeks at least. I get that things will probably be /slightly/ more expensive where I can get it out there, but I'll also be eating a specific-ish diet. I know I'm going to have to consume many many more calories, but I won't have milk, juice, fresh meat - some of the more "expensive" foodstuffs I buy now. I'm certainly not going to turn down any free meals - but I won't be looking - and I expect to be offering any food (snacks) I'm eating to any hungry potential friends out there I come across.

I don't know. I feel like there's an expectation that town/parties/beer/hotels/motels/hostels etc... are all part of the bigger picture. It just won't be part of my bigger picture.

Guess this is going to be a budget battle kind of trip then!

I need to weigh my boots, I'm curious on their actual weight. Once I get to the mid-atl/upper east coast, I'll have some support up that way regarding going into cities and spending time with friends, a couple friends that are going to hike portions of the trail, etc... That should help out my budget some, and maybe give me an opportunity to work on any shoes/boots that need fixing or tweaking.

Ok. Found my boots.

http://www.amazon.com/Magnum-Mens-Re.../dp/B000V2NJ4G

I'm on my second pair of these. I wear them everywhere for everything, and have worn them hiking plenty of times in the past (never, obv, for something this far). They are broken in and feet my feet like a second skin. I also have them fairly waterproofed (not perfect, but good). According to the manufacturer - they are just over three lbs. Or 48 1/2 ounces if we're getting specific. That's actually NOT as bad as I had thought.

Oh - and for whatever reason, amazon has these with a zipper up the side. My def. do NOT have a zipper.

Planning will be the biggest help on your budget( and some luck avoiding suprise expenses). At home I usually spend 70-80 a week feeding myself, and that includes eating out a couple times. So I don`t expect to go out and spend twice that on my hike. Don`t HAVE to watch my budget as close as you but trying to plan on saving some. I mean like spending 8x on something at a conv store or plan a little ahead?
    Enjoy your hike !!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++