WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Be careful out there... Ticks

Beautiful weather. Mostly like spring all winter in northern Missouri. Took a fabulous day-long hike in the hills, last weekend... So early in the season.

I got nailed by a tick.

Never saw one on the AT... But many did and more than several got knocked off the trail. Never saw one on the CT... Never saw one on the SHT. Nailed in my own back yard in the beginning of March.

Luckily I found it before it got too deep. A welt and an itch, but no other symptoms, so far...

Please be extra cautious out there hikers. Check and double-check.
    When you get to those unexpected situations in life where it’s difficult to figure something out, just ask yourself, “What would MacGyver do?”
    See ya!
    Rickles McPickles

Journal Entries

http://www.aldf.com/usmap.shtml

Ticks suck! (After they bite)

The first half of the Trail has a very low frequency of Lymes, it's the northeast that is worrisome to me.
    2012 NOBO - April start date
    Follow me here: Here, There, and Everywhere

AT 2012

I just did an overnight on the metabasset trail in CT, walked about 100 feet through some low brush to stealth camp, and looked down to see my pants covered with ticks. never seen anything like it. did my best to get rid of the buggers, but missed one, which must have spent the night on my side. Since I was near home it was easy to get my doctor to prescribe a single dose of antibiotic, which is supposed to work within 72 hours of exposure. I guess/fear that the mild winter up here is going to mean a record tick season -- at least based upon my shoddy one-time research experience! I'll be in PA next week, and will definitely be spraying everything i wear or carry with permethrin!
    Lazarus

Images

Lions, and Tigers and Bears...oh my! No sweat...but, Ticks and fleas skeve the bejesus out of me. I found one crawling on my trousers, last week of January. A july trip to SNP, I was covered. Every three steps...bent and swipe 4 or 5 off...3 steps...swipe!

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Angry

Yup, pulled five off my cloths over the weekend, easily 20+ off of my dogs since Saturday.

Ticks are something you just get used to when you spend your weekends bushwacking around Connecticut.

I do worry that this is going to be a horrible year tick-wise, the mild winter has allowed them to stay active and hasn't killed many of them off. This is the first year I can recall where I've had to regularly check myself and the dogs for ticks in january and february, and the early spring seems to be causing an even bigger population boom.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

I concur! Saw one of these buggers crawling across my pant leg 2 weeks ago in central PA...Move to DEFCON 1!!!

Ah ticks, the only thing I'm worried about on the trail. Anyone recommend a protection from them that works best?

Quote Originally Posted by Half Note:1267976
    Ah ticks, the only thing I'm worried about on the trail. Anyone recommend a protection from them that works best?
    Permithrin. Spray on fabric and let it dry before wearing. Deadly to cats so be careful.

Registered User Edwardo Rodriguez's Avatar

OK this is one thing I have not thought about, was thinking about getting the http://www.rei.com/product/810046/ex...mens-30-inseam for my pants and their http://www.rei.com/product/810056/ex...eck-shirt-mens for my shirt am hoping that is will keep those ticks off

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardo Rodriguez:1267986
    OK this is one thing I have not thought about, was thinking about getting the http://www.rei.com/product/810046/ex...mens-30-inseam for my pants and their http://www.rei.com/product/810056/ex...eck-shirt-mens for my shirt am hoping that is will keep those ticks off
    A $14 bottle of the spray on will do about Ten garments. You can treat the cloths you already have. I think it lasts about 8 to 10 washes.

AT 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardo Rodriguez View Post
    might just as well buy the permethrin yourself and treat everything at the same time, including socks, trail runners, back pack, hat, gaiters if you wear them, your hammock if you use one, your back pack and your wind shirt if you wear one. The pretreated clothing looses its treatment with washing pretty much the same as the stuff you spray yourself, so you need to renew it, anyway. i just ordered "Sawyer Premium Permethrin Clothing Insect Repellent Trigger Spray, 24-Ounce" from Amazon. Well, actually... two of them!
    Lazarus

Quote Originally Posted by rastraikis View Post
    A $14 bottle of the spray on will do about Ten garments. You can treat the cloths you already have. I think it lasts about 8 to 10 washes.
    That sounds about right. Pay special attention to your pantleg cuffs and waistband, both outside and inside, because those suckers will sneak right under. I even spray my boots and socks. Can you tell I really hate ticks? So far over the years, I have only had maybe 2 or 3 attach themselves to my person.
    Some people take the straight and narrow. Others the road less traveled. I just cut through the woods.

Growing up I've had ticks attach to me nearly every year. Fortunately I guess... they were those ones with the white spot which I think are not the lymes carrying ones. Everyone seems to get so stirred up over getting ticks. Why? Am I wrong to say that I wont worry till I start noticing actual lymes symptoms? I did go ahead and get a scrip for doxycillin though for my thru.
    "Mountains desire to be conquered"
    Me, unless anyone else has said it?

If you're interested in my hike my website is http://www.thruperspective.com/

Don't buy those pants... way overpriced. Get a bottle of permethrin, and google a video on how to "blouse" your boots.
    Live your life and I'll live mine, perhaps one day they will intertwine. SEMPER FI! 2013 SOBO

When you get the shirts, the tag specifies it's only good a certain number of washes. Get the spray and you can get the clothes you actually want. (I do like my one shirt I have though, because it's a nice shirt... but it's beyond those washes now.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Derek81pci View Post
    Don't buy those pants... way overpriced. Get a bottle of permethrin, and google a video on how to "blouse" your boots.
    I have never thought to ask my nephew...do you still have that green elastic rope with hooks, to blouse your utility trousers, or is there something new?

Quote Originally Posted by rastraikis View Post
    Permithrin. Spray on fabric and let it dry before wearing. Deadly to cats so be careful.
    Awesome, thanks! I don't like cats either so sounds like a winner to me.

I agree. Here in KY, the ticks are already out and about.
    So are the cottonmouths AKA water mocassins, just saw some today.
    Beware!

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    I have never thought to ask my nephew...do you still have that green elastic rope with hooks, to blouse your utility trousers, or is there something new?
    They are called "boot bands". You can get them at any military surplus store. I get mine on base for like $0.30 a pair. Can't be much more than that online.
    Live your life and I'll live mine, perhaps one day they will intertwine. SEMPER FI! 2013 SOBO

Oh, and the velcro ones suck. Stick to the old-school elastic bands with the hooks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++