WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Exclamation Crunch time.....cameras

I know very little of cameras. I want a compact point and shoot waterproof camera that takes good pictures. PLEASE HELP ME. I have found 3 cameras that might do the trick, but I was wondering if anyone here has used them or have suggestions for other cameras in this category. Some of them have things that I don't think I would use such as an altimeter and gps....I really just want awesome pictures to remember the good times on the trail with. I'm freaking out because this is my last purchase before I start my hike and it's crunch time. The cameras that I have for comparison are the canon powershot d10, panasonic dmc ts3, and the nikon coolpix aw100. Like I said I'm open to suggestions and I really really would appreciate the help.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005IGVY8I?...89&camp=211189

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerSho...1665229&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-...pr_product_top

I have the aw100. My aw100 250miles on it. I have never had a problem with it. It is very durable. I have dropped it at least 20 times. Still no problems. The gps feature is cool for setting way points on your pictures.

Images

Avoid the cameras with altimeter/GPS. They'll likely just drain battery faster.

I've personally used an Olympus Stylus Tough camera before. They're fantastic in my opinion, for the price that is. Only waterproof camera I have personal experience with, though.

Try going to a Best Buy or some brick & mortar store that you can actually use some of the cameras hands-on. Take pictures with different pre-settings. Take pictures while moving the camera, etc. See how quick they power up, how quick they respond, etc. In addition to Best Buy, Target and Wal-Mart can have some nice cameras as well. And then there's always camera shops. They'd probably be more willing to let you do other things to test the camera, too (like altered light levels, etc).

If I was going to pick from what you posted, though, it'd be between the Nikon or Panasonic. Nikon makes phenomenal cameras, I've yet to come across one that isn't a fantastic unit. And the Panasonic one just seems to be a really solid piece. The Canon... eh, I've personally had less than ideal experience with Canon cameras.

+1 on the AW100. Awesome, compact, lightweight camera with all the features you could possibly need. I love mine. As for the GPS draining the battery, just don't leave it on, and you won't have a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Maren View Post
    +1 on the AW100. Awesome, compact, lightweight camera with all the features you could possibly need. I love mine. As for the GPS draining the battery, just don't leave it on, and you won't have a problem.
    Yep, have it, love it. Perfect camera for hikers.

Canon S95 or the newer S100 will beat any other point and shoot hands down. Not waterproof. Will shoot RAW and HD video with stereo sound.

Journal Entries
    Images

You may not realize it now, but the power of having RAW images is tremendous. I would highly recommend either the Canon or the Nikon, if they shoot RAW (the Canon discussed above appears to have this feature). A year from now, when you decide you like an image but need to brighten a portion of it and darken another portion of it, you will have far greater capacity to do so, if you shot in RAW.

The only other comment that I would have is that you seem to be focused on waterproof camera's. I would simply get a sil dry bag and go with a cheaper (but comparable in image quality) camera. You are not going to go diving on the AT, just keep it dry with appropriate encasement.

Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
    Canon S95 or the newer S100 will beat any other point and shoot hands down. Not waterproof. Will shoot RAW and HD video with stereo sound.
    But the Nkon is waterproof, shockproof, shoots in full HD and with stereo sound. Plus it's thinner, smaller, lighter, has a longer battery life, and is cheaper. When it comes to a point and shoot for hiking ​it makes more sense.

does the nikon aw100 have a tripod mount?

It does have a tripod mount.

I was heavily into photography but stopped shooting due to school. I have a Nikon D300 and D80 with multiple lenses; however, these are way too heavy for me to bring on the trail. I'm kind of at odds with this though... This will probably be the only time in my life that I'm on this trail attempting a thru-hike...So, does that justify the weight? If you're not familiar with RAW, I would definitely suggest spending a little time researching RAW format and photo-editing. I'm planning on SOBO hiking starting in July so I have some time, but I have started researching point and shoots (I'm much more knowledgeable about DSLRs). Here's a few links to get you started: http://blog.photoshelter.com/2010/07...-used-by-pros/ http://www.chi-photography.com/best-...-cameras-2012/ http://www.squidoo.com/top-5-point-and-shoot-cameras

As far as the waterproofing, I would suggest buying the camera with the greatest picture quality over the camera with the greatest weatherproofing...Also, read up a little bit about using manual settings and general composition. You're gonna be out there, you might as well get the best pics possible. One last thought, check out backpackinglight.com, they have a photography sub-forum and some of the posters do have an understanding of photographic gear and use. How long before you leave? I'll post any info I come across.

Images

No experience with any of the cameras you list.

In general, Canon has a much better reputation for their P&S cameras than Nikon has. I love all of my Nikon SLRs, both digital and film, but generally steer away from their P&S, based solely on reviews and other Nikon lover opinions.

I have owned Canon P&S, Fujifilm P&S and Olympus Stylus 600 P&S. I liked them all except the Olympus Stylus 600, couldn't get consistent, in focus shots. Possibly due to it not having a viewfinder. Being able to hold the camera against your head and steady it with a viewfinder as opposed to at arms length without a viewfinder makes a world of difference in the quality of your shots. At least it does for me. All of the Fujifilm cameras I've had have been tremendous, but all with viewfinders.

As others have said, shooting RAW gives you the best potential to improve the photos at home that you get. Doesn't help out-of-focus shots one bit however. You either obtain focus or you don't, no fixing it later.

Good luck and HAVE FUN!!!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kidchill View Post
    I was heavily into photography but stopped shooting due to school. I have a Nikon D300 and D80 with multiple lenses; however, these are way too heavy for me to bring on the trail. I'm kind of at odds with this though... This will probably be the only time in my life that I'm on this trail attempting a thru-hike...So, does that justify the weight?
    My vote is yes. I usually only do longer section hikes and I have gone back to carrying a dSLR, currently either a D40 or D5100 with one or two of Nikon's lightweight plastic lenses: 35mm and either the 18-55 or the 18-105. I also have a D90, but agree it's to large and heavy when other options are out there. I'm much more satisfied with my photos since going back to a SLR. Years ago I carried a FM2n and 35-105 and was never satisfied with the P&S that I tried.

I clip a wedge pack to my shoulder straps to keep the camera readily accessible while hiking.

I leave mid april kidchill.

Okay. I'll probably be done with the rest of my gear selection in the next week or 2 and I'll start researching the cameras more in-depth. I'll post anything I can find. Just remember, the camera does make a difference, but I've seen some amazing shots with crap-tastic gear! So, that's why I say to do some light reading on composition, lighting, settings, etc... It's the difference between a casual snapshot and something you would hang on the wall with pride.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RWheeler View Post
    Avoid the cameras with altimeter/GPS. They'll likely just drain battery faster.

I've personally used an Olympus Stylus Tough camera before. They're fantastic in my opinion, for the price that is. Only waterproof camera I have personal experience with, though.

Try going to a Best Buy or some brick & mortar store that you can actually use some of the cameras hands-on. Take pictures with different pre-settings. Take pictures while moving the camera, etc. See how quick they power up, how quick they respond, etc. In addition to Best Buy, Target and Wal-Mart can have some nice cameras as well. And then there's always camera shops. They'd probably be more willing to let you do other things to test the camera, too (like altered light levels, etc).

If I was going to pick from what you posted, though, it'd be between the Nikon or Panasonic. Nikon makes phenomenal cameras, I've yet to come across one that isn't a fantastic unit. And the Panasonic one just seems to be a really solid piece. The Canon... eh, I've personally had less than ideal experience with Canon cameras.
    I found that very interesting! thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Maren View Post
    But the Nkon is waterproof, shockproof, shoots in full HD and with stereo sound. Plus it's thinner, smaller, lighter, has a longer battery life, and is cheaper. When it comes to a point and shoot for hiking ​it makes more sense.
    Maren wins the golden post award... hands down... Empowered!
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

i carry the Pentax Optio W90 others froze, drowned and broke. 2 years and this one still good. been froze, dropped and underwater.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by StichBurly View Post
    I have the aw100. My aw100 250miles on it. I have never had a problem with it. It is very durable. I have dropped it at least 20 times. Still no problems. The gps feature is cool for setting way points on your pictures.
    Welcome to WhiteBlaze. Hope you will have good time here.

You mentioned your Aw100 has 250 Miles on it and you have dropped it at least 20 times??!! You have the best dropping rate I guess. Congratulations on your dropping rate .

A pint Ziploc is a good solution to the waterproofing problem. A waterproof crappy camera is still a crappy camera.

I have the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3. This is a great camera! You can turn off GPS and such to conserve battery. Avoiding a lot of flash photos, you should be able to go weeks on one charge. And yes, it is waterproof. I took photos under water and in the rain. The only thing you have to remember in the rain is to clear the lens of rain drops or things could be a bit fuzzy. I also keep a screen protector on to prevent scratches.

The TS3 is begin replaced by the TS4 (March 28th) so if you can still find the TS3 it should be a good value. There is also a TS10 that is about 1/2 the price and a replacement, TS20, is also due March 28th

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++