WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default I would buy the Nikon

Quote Originally Posted by conburn View Post
    I know very little of cameras. I want a compact point and shoot waterproof camera that takes good pictures. PLEASE HELP ME. I have found 3 cameras that might do the trick, but I was wondering if anyone here has used them or have suggestions for other cameras in this category. Some of them have things that I don't think I would use such as an altimeter and gps....I really just want awesome pictures to remember the good times on the trail with. I'm freaking out because this is my last purchase before I start my hike and it's crunch time. The cameras that I have for comparison are the canon powershot d10, panasonic dmc ts3, and the nikon coolpix aw100. Like I said I'm open to suggestions and I really really would appreciate the help.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005IGVY8I?...89&camp=211189

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerSho...1665229&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-...pr_product_top
    Any of the three will take good pictures, but if it were me, I would buy the Nikon for one reason. It has an eye piece rather than a screen for determining what picture you are taking. Outside in the bright sunlight, it is difficult to see what is on the screen. It is particularly difficult if you are trying to zoom in on a bird or animal.

If you were trying to zoom in on a bird like this American Kestrel, you would have trouble with Canon or the Panisonic. You can see exactly what you shoot with the Nikon.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Shutterbug

Shutterbug I think you're confusing the lens with a viewfinder. From what I can tell none of those cameras have optical viewfinders.

Out of those three I'd go with the AW100 or the Lumix. I do remember reading that the picture quality on the Powershot D10 isn't the best. The Lumix and AW100 have received good reviews and I don't think you'd be disappointed with either camera.

The AW100 does not have a viewfinder. It does have a giant screen which is pretty nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Kookork View Post
    Welcome to WhiteBlaze. Hope you will have good time here.

You mentioned your Aw100 has 250 Miles on it and you have dropped it at least 20 times??!! You have the best dropping rate I guess. Congratulations on your dropping rate .
    Thank you for the welcome. I am very surprised at how durable the camera is. I was hiking the Grand Canyon in January this. My came took an almost 20 foot drop. All it got was a scratch on the side still works perfect. Btw it doesn't shoot in RAW. Still a good camera.

Quote Originally Posted by slims View Post
    Shutterbug I think you're confusing the lens with a viewfinder. From what I can tell none of those cameras have optical viewfinders.

Out of those three I'd go with the AW100 or the Lumix. I do remember reading that the picture quality on the Powershot D10 isn't the best. The Lumix and AW100 have received good reviews and I don't think you'd be disappointed with either camera.
    My mistake. I just looked at the picture and thought the Nikon had a view finder. In any case, if I were buying a point and shoot, I would get one with a view finder.
    Shutterbug

Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
    A pint Ziploc is a good solution to the waterproofing problem. A waterproof crappy camera is still a crappy camera.

The AW100 is not a crappy camera. It's not even close to being a crappy camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Shutterbug View Post
    My mistake. I just looked at the picture and thought the Nikon had a view finder. In any case, if I were buying a point and shoot, I would get one with a view finder.
    Unfortunately, there are almost no point and shoot cameras made today that have viewfinders. Canon was a holdout for a while, but even thy have dropped viewfinders from nearly all of their point and shoot models. It's unfortunate, because viewfinders really do help when shooting outdoors in bright sunlight.

Quote Originally Posted by MJW155 View Post
    The AW100 is not a crappy camera. It's not even close to being a crappy camera.
    O.K., a mediocre camera. Most/all of the "waterproof" cameras, even Canon's, don't take great photos and can't be relied on to be waterproof. G9/G10/G11. . . Canons still have optical viewfinders but are 'xactkt point and shoot.
    Last edited by swjohnsey; 03-14-2012 at 12:07.

Huh. Mine is fantastically waterproof, and while it doesn't take the same quality pics as a dslr or other camera that isn't classified as rugged and intended for, and here's the keyword, amateur photogs who just want to have decent images to show their friends and family, it does take fantastic pics that I highly doubt will cause your mother to say, "oh dear, the noise at that ISO is unacceptable". There's no point in recommending a camera that will be too much camera for the user. I agree that having RAW files is great, but, honestly, most people who "don't know much about cameras" really don't need to be bothered with that. A solid camera with lots of settings that allows the user to take usable images from the start negates the need for a top-of-the-line kit that requires the user to acquire an entire new skill set in order to get anything out of it. The AW100 and similar rugged cameras are ideal for outdoor situations that call for a simple, direct approach to photo taking while offering features such as waterproofing (no need to remove camera from a ziplock when trying to quickly capture a bear disappearing into the brush), able to handle falls (inevitable when dealing with hands full of water bottles and hiking poles), and able to withstand below-freezing temps.

I am heavily leaning towards the nikon aw100 but the panasonic is still in the mix. I do agree with Maren that I'm in no need for dslr quality pictures and even if I had the camera, I couldn't get the full potential out of it. I have a question though for Maren and the others who have used it though, what is the battery life like? Would you carry another battery for the A.T? I had thought about a New Trent battery pack to charge both my phone and camera multiple times while out in the bush which would eliminate the need to carry wall chargers for both devices (just usb cords) as well as extra charged batteries. Is this a good idea? Thanks to everyone that put their two cents in, I really do appreciate all of the input from all of the angles.

It's rated for 250 shots per charge. I'd say that's accurate with my experience with GPS turned off. As for the battery pack, the Nikon cannot be charged via USB.

I hike, therefore I am.
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by conburn View Post
    I know very little of cameras. I want a compact point and shoot waterproof camera that takes good pictures. PLEASE HELP ME. I have found 3 cameras that might do the trick, but I was wondering if anyone here has used them or have suggestions for other cameras in this category. Some of them have things that I don't think I would use such as an altimeter and gps....I really just want awesome pictures to remember the good times on the trail with. I'm freaking out because this is my last purchase before I start my hike and it's crunch time. The cameras that I have for comparison are the canon powershot d10, panasonic dmc ts3, and the nikon coolpix aw100. Like I said I'm open to suggestions and I really really would appreciate the help.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005IGVY8I?...89&camp=211189

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerSho...1665229&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-...pr_product_top
    Both the Canon, and the Panasonic you linked to have CCD sensors. The Nikon you linked to has a CMOS sensor. A CMOS sensor is subject to jelling, or rolling shutter, and many times unless the camera is completely stabile (like on a tripod) even the slightest hand jitter will warp the shot. The CCD sensor uses lines, it basically takes burst images and stings them together. The CCD sensor does not cause jelling to the video. Both these sensors have their advantages of course. One advantage of the CCD sensor is that you can pan around with the camera in hand, and the video is somewhat still enjoyable to view. One advantage of a CMOS sensor that maybe relative to your application is that it uses less power. So there's that...

Regarding the CMOS sensor, the AW100 has vibration reduction. I had similar concerns about that but my test shots have shown that stability isn't an issue. The VR seems to perform remarkably well.

for the camera nuts....the new Canon G1X is looking good, an "almost" point and shoot with a big, almost APS-C sized sensor... 1.5" vs. 1/2.3" common to many p&s boxes.

Approaching DSLR quality/features.... in "only" 17.4oz ...and 8 big'uns.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++