WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SCRUB HIKER View Post
    I've read a lot of BS on this forum, but that out-BSes all of them. I met TWO PEOPLE out of hundreds last year who had never backpacked before attempting their thru-hike. This is the type of grumpy-old-man-looking-down-his-nose-at-everyone-else garbage that can make WhiteBlaze so infuriating. The question was "Can I avoid overcrowded shelters and, if so, when?" and this is your answer? Great.
    CrumbSnatcher has hiked the AT three times that I'm aware of, so he probably knows what he's talking about. Perhaps you're taking him too literal and he meant most haven't hiked long distances prior to starting the AT, for which I'll agree.

Also, if I'm not mistaken he was responding to this, and not the OP

Originally Posted by Terry7

Why people want to go out into the mountains and then cram themselves into a small room with a bunch of people ?

And although he may be grumpy-at-times, I don't think he's an old man, or looks down on anyone.

I've read a lot of BS on this forum, but that out-BSes all of them. I met TWO PEOPLE out of hundreds last year who had never backpacked before attempting their thru-hike. This is the type of grumpy-old-man-looking-down-his-nose-at-everyone-else garbage that can make WhiteBlaze so infuriating. The question was "Can I avoid overcrowded shelters and, if so, when?" and this is your answer? Great.

According to the book....Long Distance Hiking by Roland Meuser, which is comprised of various trail statistics developed through personal interviews, suveys etc...he claims at least 20% of the people surveyed had not even one night camping under their collective belts. Interestingly enough their initial averages were 10.8 miles per day and after a few weeks was up to 15 mpd....not unlike their more experienced brethren. So...it appears the truth appears somewhere in the middle.

BTW...was it just me or was your response just a tad harsh?

Miguel

I started at Springer on April 7th last year and I had to use my tent every night until I was almost to the Smokies. Even after the Smokies I was in my tent more often then not, due to no space in the shelter.

I was for the most part going every other shelter so would show up late and at times even finding space for a tent could be a problem. Everyone else for the most part were going shelter to shelter, so they would fill it up early in the day.

If you want shelter space early in the season, you need to get up and start hiking before everyone else and only go as far as the next shelter. The crowds do start to thin out after Damascus, but then you start to get into camp group, section hiker and weekender season.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

first off, how do you meet HUNDREDS of thruhikers on a thruhike. did you set up camp and not hike, if your moving north with everyone else your not going to meet as many as you say! there's many different bubbles of hikers, and secondly i was not looking down my nose at people and talking down to them,i don't like that, and would not do that on purpose! i was a newbie at one time and actually miss it! i try to help out,especially the dog hikers! if i came off the wrong way i apoligize. in the beginning all the hikers are going to be up front & honest and everyone sitting around the campfire very talkative saying im new to this and a little nervous, later on everyone's an expect(usually by franklin) and i highly doubt they would even talk about not ever hiking before. i personally never hiked a lick before attempting a thruhike. i still stand by my statement most first time AT thruhikers never hiked/backpacked before! i too stayed near the shelter quite often for comfort and companionship. your the one with your facts wrong!
    Last edited by CrumbSnatcher; 03-13-2012 at 16:53.

Images

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by CrumbSnatcher View Post
    first off, how do you meet HUNDREDS of thruhikers on a thruhike. did you set up camp and not hike, if your moving north with everyone else your not going to meet as many as you say! there's many different bubbles of hikers, and secondly i was not looking down my nose at people and talking down to them,i don't like that, and would not do that on purpose! i was a newbie at one time and actually miss it! i try to help out,especially the dog hikers! if i came off the wrong way i apoligize. in the beginning all the hikers are going to be up front & honest and everyone sitting around the campfire very talkative saying im new to this and a little nervous, later on everyone's an expect(usually by franklin) and i highly doubt they would even talk about not ever hiking before. i personally never hiked a lick before attempting a thruhike. i still stand by my statement most first time AT thruhikers never hiked/backpacked before! i too stayed near the shelter quite often for comfort and companionship. your the one with your facts wrong!
    That's what I would have said, especially the part about people becoming experts by Franklin.

I left Damascus heading nobo in 2010 and for a few weeks didn't have much company at the shelters. Even had many to myself. I started to want to talk to more people til the pack caught up with me. By the time I was in New Hampshire, I was sick of seeing so many people. I think the longer you spend on trail, the more comfortable you become with yourself.

Journal Entries

A lot of people rant and rave on this website -forgive them - they just are pent up and have a strong desire to get out there and back on the trail,like me.
    I found the trails to be busy all the way into Virginia and the shelters likewise. A shelter can give you the chance to an early start, you just gotta like mice....HeHe

Journal Entries

I havent thru-hiked but I have done a lot of section hiking.. Shenandoah National Park can be a &^*^ depending when you hit it.. In late June of 2008 I was doing a section of the AT through VA.. I was heading southbound and hit SNP.. According to the Ridge Runner there were about 50 hikers with in 2 days of each other trying to get to Harpers Ferry by July 4.. On top of that there were thunderstorms for 3 or 4 days straight in the afternoon... The shelters where jammed... I wish I could have gotten a picture of the Pass Mountain shelter.. I dont know how we fit that many poeple in...

Fiddlehead!!! i thru'd last year nobo and hiked the last 1/3 or so with diamond dave and heard many great stories!!! -beirburger

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

Crumbsnatcher, you make a good point about how most people who hadn't hiked before wouldn't necessarily say it out loud. I confess to not having interviewed the hundreds of people I did meet (I still stand by that number) on whether they'd hiked before ... there are probably others who had never been in the woods before, I only knew for sure about two of them.

I don't know why I got so mad about your first post. I still think it ignores the OP's question and misrepresents thru-hikers as a whole, but it's not worth starting a flame war about (which I almost did). I got off on the wrong foot there. I apologize, we'll agree to disagree, and hopefully the thread can move on ...

- Scrub
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

Well, the reason I was most curious is because I plan to use a poncho tarp. So in the event of heavy rain I may need to get in a shelter. Not necessarily to sleep but at least to avoid the rain. I'd also like to add that I've done a few solo sections and camped alone in and out of shelters plenty.

Does sleeping with bears in the vacinity count as being alone?
    "Mountains desire to be conquered"
    Me, unless anyone else has said it?

If you're interested in my hike my website is http://www.thruperspective.com/

Quote Originally Posted by pdcolelli42 View Post
    Well, the reason I was most curious is because I plan to use a poncho tarp.
    In the event of heavy rain, everyone wants to be in a shelter, so better hope your one of the ones to get there early.

By the time you get to Neels Gap, your gonna be wanting a real tent. Might as well get one now while you have a choice of what to buy.
    Last edited by Slo-go'en; 03-13-2012 at 20:50.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries
    Images

Well, there's one shelter that won't be overcrowded this year - Apple House . . . and that's because it isn't there anymore.

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

how to hike
    some observations

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    By the time you get to Neels Gap, your gonna be wanting a real tent.
    Really, because I don't think so but what do I know about my own wants/needs. Before poncho tarping I used a gossamer gear spinntwinn tarp and it was more than adequate in rain.

Now, that being said I am a tad inexperienced with the poncho tarp. I've decided to add a bivy into the mix to overcome this. An additional detail is that I made a MYOG bathtub floor with door out of polycro for when it really rains. I've been under the poncho in rain before and had it pitched pretty low to stay dry and it seemed to work well. Sure for some it may be uncomfortable to be under a poncho tarp in the rain, but for me it's uncomfortable to carry a heavy pack. Is it unrealistic to expect that I can at least have standing room in a shelter during heavy rain? I'm willing to sacrifice some things to be so lightweight.

Have you ever used a poncho tarp or even a tarp extensively? Can you maybe offer real advice as to why I won't like it rather than just telling me I wont? I'm open to suggestions but you must at least have used the gear in question before you can suggest anything about it.

Wait, a couple of you above have confused me.

A great part of MY hike is to enjoy the land, my time, and NOT always be with people especially sleeping. I realize there will be socializing going on, and I look forward to meeting folks. But what I don’t want is a slumber party most of the time. I will join in from time-to-time, but wish to plan on being in my tent, content most nights for sure.

I thought I had nailed down a basic plan. For example: If in the GSMNP for 82 miles (?) I am forced to use a shelter if not full – my plan is to just make certain I am late.

Forced into a shelter for 82 miles or if I may need a roof some night is one thing. Planning on living from shelter to shelter is not going to be my hike.

Anything wrong with this ideology folks?
    - Thanks.

Journal Entries

Does sleeping with bears in the vacinity count as being alone?
    No bears are grate at conversation,they help clean the dishes,and smell betters then most hikers.

Yes I'm slap happy and should just go to sleep

Journal Entries

Blood Mt. shelter is always open if you don't mind sleeping with skunks and not having water.

No bears are grate at conversation,they help clean the dishes,and smell betters then most hikers.
    Sorry for going off topic here but... I once was hiking in the smokys and I started smelling this very odd smell. It was pretty strong and very unique. All of a sudden the thought popped into my head "could this be a bear near by?" and sure enough a few steps farther up the trail I came across a bear! I've never smelled a bear like I did that day but I'm almost positive the scent was from that bear.

Sorry for going off topic here but... I once was hiking in the smokys and I started smelling this very odd smell. It was pretty strong and very unique. All of a sudden the thought popped into my head "could this be a bear near by?" and sure enough a few steps farther up the trail I came across a bear! I've never smelled a bear like I did that day but I'm almost positive the scent was from that bear.
    You got to know the bear is telling the same story about you.

Ha ha, lucky for him it was my first day out so I wasn't too too stinky yet but I was in the process of climbing up from fontana dam so I was a tad sweaty. He did shuffle down the tree quite quickly and run away though!

Images

Plan on tenting if possible until about Erwin, TN - - the folks that drop out in the first few hundred miles will be weeded-out by then. I like to camp in a shelter occasionally for the social experience (of if I'm just lazy) but it's really hard to get a proper night's sleep in a jamb packed shelter - - sleeping in your tent, tarp, or hammock, should be very comfortable and easy (or you should come up with a sleeping system that is). By and large, there are plenty of tent sites - - especially if you are willing to camel up a bit and carry water a mile or so.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++