WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    Since the shelters are often near the water supply, I often will stop to cook my evening meal around 5 or 6 and socialize a little, then put the pack back on, carry a litre or two out of there and walk another few miles.
    This serves a few purposes:
    Get's me camping away from the bears and mice, where it's quiet (all night long) (no smell of food cooking to chum the animals in either)
    and not damp (camping near a stream or water source is usually where the dew generates)
    I often get to camp at a viewpoint or high up.
    Also this is the time of day when you are more apt to see wildlife on the trail.

I usually figure on a half litre of water during the night and a cupful for coffee in the morning and have some left for the first 5 miles or so.

Works for me.
    Nobody complains if I have a beer, a smoke, or play my guitar either.
    I would be saddened to know I missed guitar playing while out camping. Always a welcomed treat.
    Live your life and I'll live mine, perhaps one day they will intertwine. SEMPER FI! 2013 SOBO

Quote Originally Posted by pdcolelli42 View Post
    Have you ever used a poncho tarp or even a tarp extensively? Can you maybe offer real advice as to why I won't like it rather than just telling me I wont? I'm open to suggestions but you must at least have used the gear in question before you can suggest anything about it.
    In my 30+ years of hiking and camping in the woods - and I've spent a LOT of time camping in the woods - I've used every shelter system known to mankind. I always end up going back to a tent. A good tent these days isn't heavy - but it is on the expensive side. Good luck with the poncho, hope it works out for you.

And yes, you will have standing room under the roof of a shelter and with luck, you might be even able to sit down on the edge of the platform. BTW, early morning and late afternoon showers are common. If you wait a bit before getting up or wait until around dusk to set up, you can usually avoid most, if not all, of the rain.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    BTW, early morning and late afternoon showers are common. If you wait a bit before getting up or wait until around dusk to set up, you can usually avoid most, if not all, of the rain.
    Interesting point Slo-go'en. I have a huge problem with others overly guiding my hike. But I rather like the idea of finding a natural rhythm (or working with the land, nature, etc.). My thought process for sleeping, protected and as comfortable as I can is based around my tent (systems, etc.). People keep telling me I will gladly/quickly run to better shelter. blah!

BTW, early morning and late afternoon showers are common. If you wait a bit before getting up or wait until around dusk to set up, you can usually avoid most, if not all, of the rain.
    Thank you Slo-go'en, I actually had been curious of some sort of trend with rain as to what time of day it usually may occur. I'll be sure to keep that tip in mind.
    "Mountains desire to be conquered"
    Me, unless anyone else has said it?

If you're interested in my hike my website is http://www.thruperspective.com/

Quote Originally Posted by pdcolelli42 View Post
    Thank you Slo-go'en, I actually had been curious of some sort of trend with rain as to what time of day it usually may occur. I'll be sure to keep that tip in mind.
    Another rule of thumb is "the sun always shines at noon" (1 pm EDT). It may not actually shine, but more often than not the rain will let up and the clouds thin around noon time. Typically, 10 AM to 2 PM is a pretty good window for little or no rain. I try to make as many miles as I can in that window. By late afternoon, the sun stops heating the clouds so much and as they cool, the rain picks up until the next lull in the early evening. This is a pretty reliable cycle in the spring.

A couple of years ago I did Virgina in late April into early May and it rained at some point something like 24 days out of 32. If for some reason I had to set up my tent - it ALWAYS rained. Then I came home to NH and it rained every day in June.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Thanks again Slo-go'en. This again is the exact thing I have been looking for an answer to. I ought to be able to get the majority of my miles in during that window if necessary. That's crazy that it rained 24/32 days, although I suppose that's probably not too far from the norm. I wonder if this spring will be a particularly wet one being la nina and all. It certainly has been unusually warm although I do expect some more cold weather and most likely a snow. The farmers almanac in past years has been relatively accurate IMO and supposedly there's a cold spell around the 17-20th of april that snow will be likely. I'll hopefully be just leaving the smokys around that time. I don't know how accurate that will be but I don't doubt it will snow some tie in april.
    "Mountains desire to be conquered"
    Me, unless anyone else has said it?

If you're interested in my hike my website is http://www.thruperspective.com/

Images

Default Overcrowded Shelters

The first people I ever went backpacking with (I was 16) wanted to pitch a tent INSIDE a shelter. LOL I don't know why this thread made me think of that. Needless to say, I found new hiking buddies. Avoid shelters at all costs.
    Daddy made whiskey and he made it well.
    Cost two dollars and it burned like hell.
    I cut hick'ry just to fire the still,
    Drink down a bottle and be ready to kill.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    Since the shelters are often near the water supply, I often will stop to cook my evening meal around 5 or 6 and socialize a little, then put the pack back on, carry a litre or two out of there and walk another few miles.
    This serves a few purposes:
    Get's me camping away from the bears and mice, where it's quiet (all night long) (no smell of food cooking to chum the animals in either)
    and not damp (camping near a stream or water source is usually where the dew generates)
    I often get to camp at a viewpoint or high up.
    Also this is the time of day when you are more apt to see wildlife on the trail.

I usually figure on a half litre of water during the night and a cupful for coffee in the morning and have some left for the first 5 miles or so.

Works for me.
    Nobody complains if I have a beer, a smoke, or play my guitar either.
    I think this is an excellent idea! Its the best of both worlds, IMHO.
    Lead me to the long green tunnel.

Quote Originally Posted by Miami Joe View Post
    The first people I ever went backpacking with (I was 16) wanted to pitch a tent INSIDE a shelter. LOL I don't know why this thread made me think of that. Needless to say, I found new hiking buddies. Avoid shelters at all costs.
    I do this all the time in the winter. It keeps the snow and ice off of your tent, it is warmer, and you don't have to worry about getting crushed by ice laden trees/branches.

Journal Entries

I prefer the tent over the shelters. You don't have to listen to the snorers and people who talk in their sleep, the mice, people who wake you in the middle of the night, etc.. I do like the fellowship with hikers while at the shelters, but when it is time to go to bed, its the tent. I guess it is nice staying sometimes out at a campsite where few or no one is there, but the shelters do offer a table for cooking and a privy plus some have bear cables. Just the little extra convenience and don't forget about a water source. But everyone needs just to do their own thing. Happy hiking.

So many great spots to stop along the trail, esp down south. Take advantage of it because it gets more restrictive once you get into New Hampshire. Sly's advice of just getting water and making your way a few clicks north all produce some sort of sweet campspot. Some of the best spots on the southern AT are within 2 miles of shelters. I like having my own personal space and love tenting. I hate being squeezed into a shelter. Even in the rain. Unless its a monsoon outside when I arrive, Ill avoid shelters.

Images

Carry a tent..............could never imagine going out without one, total freedom vs not??

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++