WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Just bought a new pack from SAC

The pack I have always used backpacking is a Dana Designs Terraplane LTW. So with a thru hike planned for this year I knew I need to get a smaller lighter pack. I just saw a Millet Prolighter 42 Plus on Steep and Cheap and I pulled the trigger. (82 bones shipped) Does anyone have any experience with this pack or Millet packs? Is this going to be big enough?

Thanks,
    Brenton

Millet is well known in the Alpine world and have been around for many years. Their packs are top notch construction but will be geared more towards the climber than the backpacker. Some hikers might find 40 L a tad tight, others would find it perfect, that is up to you more thant the pack.

Alpine packs are traditionally 'clean' so they have often made good thru-hiking packs before the likes of Go-lite, ULA, Granite Gear and Osprey were catering to the thru-hiker market. You won't see many Millet packs in the United States, certainly not on trail, but pay that no mind. For $80 beans, sounds like a good deal as long as it fits your gear and carries well on YOUR back.

All I would say is that if you have to strap anything to the outside, you need a bigger pack. Getting a small pack just to make it 'bigger' by strapping stuff outside is not the most intelligent concept, but people do it all the time for some reason.

It expands out 10 extra liters. I feel like it will work and force me to pack light. The last thing I want is gear swinging around on my pack and don't see me needing the ice axe holders. lol

++ New Posts ++